Looking for a cheap MP3 Player ???

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
I need a 1 GB MP3 player. Just the basics, nothing fancy. My budget is less than $100 NIB. There are so many to choose from that I don't know which ones are the best. I like the ones with built-in USB ports, but most of them look cheap. Any particular brands I should look for? Any ideas?

Thanks.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    ipod shuffles are awesome
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • Early B.
    edited June 2007
    iPod Shuffle?

OK. Will the iPod play WMA files directly or do they need to be converted first?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    You need to use iTunes with it I think, so I will go with "no"...I had iTunes long before I had an iPod anyway though, I just like it more than Windows Media Player...
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
  • Early B.
    edited June 2007
    You need to use iTunes with it I think, so I will go with "no"...I had iTunes long before I had an iPod anyway though, I just like it more than Windows Media Player...

OK, then forget iPod. I just want something super simple where I can doenload a WMA file directly onto the MP3 player and push "play."

Thanks, wallstreet, I'll check out the buslink.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    Well, if you open iTunes, click 'File', 'Add file', and then select a WMA file that you already have on your computer, it will add it to your iTunes library, at the same time converting it to a format the iPod will recognize and play. Then when you sync iTunes with your iPod device, it will have that file on its hard drive in a format it'll play, all ready to go.

If you rip a CD IN iTunes, it will let you rip it in several different formats at different bitrates, all of which it will recognize.

So, whether you're adding something WITH iTunes, or adding something to iTunes ALREADY on your computer, it'll still work. And it's *almost* as easy as just 'click and play'.

The only thing I've tried to do with my iPod that's posed a challenge is putting DVD's on it. And let me tell you, THAT's a challenge. And I must admit I've given up. It's just not worth the headache.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    Sansa players from SanDisk are pretty decent and have a tuner built in! No iTunes BS either.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited June 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    The only thing I've tried to do with my iPod that's posed a challenge is putting DVD's on it. And let me tell you, THAT's a challenge. And I must admit I've given up. It's just not worth the headache.

not really a challenge. just time consuming.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited June 2007
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMX4-2048-A70-Player-microSD-Expansion/dp/B000ETXOC8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-0497470-9217629?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181361507&sr=1-3

this isnt bad actually. you can do videos as well as FM radio

Technical Details
    Sleek, ultra-thin digital audio/image/video player with 2 GB of flash memory
    Compatible with MP3, WMA, and WMA-DRM10 music files (PlaysForSure)
    FM tuner with record capability and voice recorder; bright 1.8-inch color TFT LCD
    Convert most popular video formats (MPEG-4, WMV) to play on device
    User-replaceable rechargeable lithium-ion battery for up to 20 hours of life
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Well, on my part, it's challenging. I've yet to find a combination of ripper and converter that will actually work.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited June 2007
    audiobliss wrote: »
    Well, on my part, it's challenging. I've yet to find a combination of ripper and converter that will actually work.

I use Final Cut Pro, which works swell. Should only put you back $1300 :D
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2007
    Oh, ok, cool. Send me a copy, and I'll let you know if you made a good investment when you purchased it (or made a good risk when you put a company program on your home computer). :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    I just got this player in the 6gb variety from a member here. I loaded 405 songs on it using WMP. You can synch it to WMP & it will copy whatever songs are on your hard drive. It sounds good (with good earphones) & is easy to use!

POLKOHOLIC wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDMX4-2048-A70-Player-microSD-Expansion/dp/B000ETXOC8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-0497470-9217629?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181361507&sr=1-3

this isnt bad actually. you can do videos as well as FM radio

Technical Details
    Sleek, ultra-thin digital audio/image/video player with 2 GB of flash memory
    Compatible with MP3, WMA, and WMA-DRM10 music files (PlaysForSure)
    FM tuner with record capability and voice recorder; bright 1.8-inch color TFT LCD
    Convert most popular video formats (MPEG-4, WMV) to play on device
    User-replaceable rechargeable lithium-ion battery for up to 20 hours of life
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited June 2007
    Another vote for the Sansa. It is inexpensive and sounds pretty good, especially compared to some other cheapies I listened to. It also seems to be pretty durable, my 8 year old has had one for about a year. Good battery life and runs on regualr batteries.

You can drag and drop files on to it but if you want any meaningful type of organization to your music, you're going to need to use WMP. Display is pretty basic but fairly easy to use.

DJ
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides