Semi-Off Topic Book suggestion on sound

Jack from Indo
Jack from Indo Posts: 109
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I couldn't find a better category for this post, so "hear" goes: Sorry of this breaks a posting rule:

Those of you who are so interested in this hobby that you want to learn more about the science of sound in a general sense, should check out the book "Science and Music" by Sir James H. Jeans.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Music-Sir-James-Jeans/dp/0486619648

I have read this book several times over during the last 20 years, and every time I do, I get more out of it. It is written for the layman. No math or difficult to understand concepts. The material he presents is instruction on the basic, utterly fascinating science of sound.

Resonance, harmonics, sine waves, sympathetic vibration, frequency, amplitude, tone, color, tuning, musical scales, dissonance, summation tones, difference tones, acoustics, nodes, harmony, beats, etc.

Do you understand the meaning of all these terms? I know many of you already do. But if not, then even you contest winners and audio experts will gain a great deal of insight and knowledge from this little book, which will vastly increase your understanding and appreciation of sound, music, your hobby and your system.

As an added side bonus, the laws of sound vibration, for the esoterically/mystically inclined, have many parallels to altered states of consciousness. The author does not talk about such things, but the similarities are clear to the initiated reader.