crossover dillema for MMC6500

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited July 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
hi, im powering a set of momo components with a 400.4 and my question is:
if i flirt with the crossover settings on the amp, will it affect anything, as the crossovers are inline to the speakers? i would like to limit the frequency to exactly 55hz on the low end, but i can't seem to understand if the supplied crossovers already affect this setting.. the pre-eq switch is obviously not active so it makes me wonder if tinkering will do anything. its such a small change, that i can't tell the difference by ear, only see it on the amp. (the amp goes to 50hz low end)
thanks guys
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    The supplied crossover doesnt high pass the mids. It only low passes them at 3.5 KHz I believe.

If you want to tinker with crossover settings, youll need to bypass the passive crossover and just use the ones from the amp.

But you can high pass the mids (I assume youre bi-amping) by using the amps crossover for the mid's channels.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ilikesound
    edited June 2007
    oh yea? how would i wire the crossover to do such a thing, and what would the benefits be if any?
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    If you wanted to use the variable crossover on the amp, you would throw the passive crossovers in a closet somewhere. You wouldnt use them at all.

Youd wire the mids to the rear channels of the amp and the tweeters to the front. Set the front high pass at 3.5 KHz and the rear low pass at 3.5 KHz and adjust from there.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited June 2007
    ilikesound - for a bit more clarity, note that he's talking about biamping your components. put the tweets on the front channels, mids on the rears, hit the pre-eq button, and enjoy. you can also set the highpass on the amp to 55 Hz if you want that.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • chopstik
    chopstik Posts: 41
    edited July 2007
    neomagus00 wrote: »
    ilikesound - for a bit more clarity, note that he's talking about biamping your components. put the tweets on the front channels, mids on the rears, hit the pre-eq button, and enjoy. you can also set the highpass on the amp to 55 Hz if you want that.

how do these sound?? i have a set i'm planning on selling
  • ilikesound
    edited July 2007
    they sound good, just a little trebley if you ask me... i wish i had a goddamn EQ sometimes, well, most of the time even if only for the high-end. then again, i suppose having the tweeters firing straight into your brain doesn't help things either..:eek:
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited July 2007
    I have the mmc6500 also. they're only wired for a single input because if i used the active x-over in the c400.4, I couldn't have any other speakers wired to it. I'm looking at picking up a 2-channel amp and bi-amping them though. Haven't quite decided yet. If I do bi-amp the mmc6500, should I still use the passive cross overs that came with them? In either case, how much power should I give to the tweeters?
  • ilikesound
    edited July 2007
    i think as long as you respect the crossover points on your amp (if it is a 4 ch) you will be ok. if it is a two channel, thinkin you may need to use them.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)