Why don't we see more polk in competition vehicles?

itburnout
itburnout Posts: 1
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've been frequenting many a car audio forum lately trying to get recommendations for a component set. I ended up falling in love with the sr series at tweeters over the focal polyglas and bought them right then and there.

But whenever I see the question: "which comps should I get?" Polk is never mentioned. Its always CDT, or seas, or rainbow, or jl audio, focal, etc. Its almost like polk isn't even on the radar of these people. My sr's ROCK MY CAR. Tremendous midbass and soft, crisp highs.

What more do these people want out of a comp set?

Honestly, I have never seen a set of polk anything in any car I have ever sat in. Be it at a soundoff or otherwise.

Its weird

Any ideas why?
Post edited by itburnout on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    CDT is more of a boner of the month type deal. Especially the horrible series that everyone was raving about for $150 that sounded like total ****. Seas you will see a lot over at DIYMA and is a very good brand and can be had for fairly cheap. Theres always going to be JL fans because of the hype that engulfs the name. They make good speakers, but I've never heard one of their speakers that I would purchase at their price points. Focal, well, Focal is Focal, pure SQ through and through. I think their speakers are fantastic and fair priced. I really think one of the main reason Polk isnt mentioned everywhere is because 'you can buy it at Circuit City, so it must be crap' attitude. We have a regular on this forum (Macleod) that competes with the SR series and has been kicking some serious ****, even against TOTL Focal systems. They can certainly hold their own and is, IMO, just an untapped resource in the 12V audiophile community. The white paper on the SRs is simply amazing.

Having DEI buy them out probably didnt help their image too much either...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2007
    Most SQ guys like to run stuff no one's heard of to feel better about their systems. DLS was another brand that was big in the lanes (and on the forums) for a couple years and seems to have fallen off a bit. The guys that are serious competitors and have been doing this for a while could run pretty much whatever and have a strong car. The speaker placement and tuning are much more important than brands used. Assuming you're using decent stuff.

Even with our old Momo classic series I beat Focal, Quart, and other systems that were much more expensive. The SR's are the best speakers we've ever had and can hold their own against most other stuff out there, but we're a little too mainstream to get much presence in the lanes. Not that there's much of a SQ competition scene anymore...
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2007
    Thom wrote: »
    Not that there's much of a SQ competition scene anymore...
    So sad yet so true! I wish CA would pick back up and get some quality shows again. If you find one now, it's all about SPL. Sure SPL is fun and cool (when you get into REAL systems that's been engineered, not just ghetto slammed into a car) but SQ is what makes the hair stand up on end.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2007
    Toxis wrote: »
    but SQ is what makes the hair stand up on end.

Wow...you need a woman.:D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    There isnt much of a national SQ scene anymore but the local scene isnt all that bad. MECA has nearly 200 shows each year and most shows have 10+ SQ competitors with several getting up to 20. Granted thats a far cry from the good old days where one class would have 40 people but there is life in the SQ scene.

One problem is media coverage. It doesnt exist. IASCA finals got a couple pages last year in CA&E but both USACi and MECA finals got zilch - which is BS cause they BOTH had a bigger SQ turnout than IASCA!! (honestly I believe if IASCA wasnt at NOPI, they wouldve been snubbed as well)

I think the reason Polk isnt big in competition cars is because its not "exotic" enough mainly because Circuit City sells them. Not sure why that is a bad thing but its given a lot of people the idea that Polk is more a mainstream product, and as was mentioned, SQ guys like to use "exotic" gear. A lot of people I see are using Scanspeak Revelators. Focal is also used a good bit.

That being said, I have found that Polk does have a lot of respect out there among people. When I tell people what Im running, theyre not really suprised and usually have good things to say about them. I see it not so much that people dont think theyre good enough, just that they dont have the stigma that say a Focal Utopia would have.

To date, Im the only one Ive run up on that is using all Polk speakers and you couldnt pay me enough to use anything else. Theyve served me very well. I had a great season last year (Im most proud of the Rookie of the Year award as there were over 20 rookies last year) and so far this season Ive got 5 first place finishes out of 5 shows.

Bottom line is even tho theyre not as exotic as a Seas or Scanspeak, but theyre still just as good!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    I don't like anything exotic... neither speakers, nor cars, nor women.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2007
    If it's good...that is all that matters....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2007
    Some forums, or more specifically- some members of certain forums- are quick to bash Polk anytime, anywhere, in spite of being completely ignorant of the SR series speakers/subs. It's unfortunate. I've sure enjoyed mine :D .

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=265258

I could link to more examples but the search function is down right now.

Curse of "the Circuit City stigma", even though CC won't be carrying SRs anytime soon.
  • No. 6
    No. 6 Posts: 10
    edited June 2007
    Thom wrote: »
    Most SQ guys like to run stuff no one's heard of to feel better about their systems.
    You got that right. :)
  • Peter J
    Peter J Posts: 29
    edited June 2007
    Hello!
    We have been competing with SR for two year now and here in Sweden people are really awere of how good they are. There are now several cars with SR right now and me and my friends are building a new car right now with a complete SR system (comps and subs) to be a serius competitor (again) in the European finals for 2008.

In 2006 we took second place in Epert Sound Only with Polk speakers and amps. We beat complete Pioneer/Premier ODR systems, Boston cars, Alpine F1 and so on. The car that beated us were also a car from sweden, he has Alpine F1 and DLS Tube amps and DLS Iridium speakers.
    A simple system = Pure music!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2007
    I know a guy with an audio shop who was hanging around down at the shop when we were putting the race car together. The conversation turned to stereo stuff because I mentioned that I own a pair of Carver Amazings. He asked me if I had anything in the truck and I smiled. So he asked what I have and I told him Polk Audio dB's, the old ones, not the new ones, and Kenwood eXcelon electronics. He frowned. He actually told me "Polk Audio is "old guy" gear." I was quite stunned and didn't know what to say. He asked for an audition but I just told him I was too busy to screw around with stereos right now, maybe another time when I have more time.

I asked a friend who knows the guy better than I do about it. He told me that most of the younger guys see Polk Audio as snooty brand for old dudes who don't care about looks. I was again, stunned. I don't know where it's coming from. Then again, none of these kids compete except the owner of the audio shop I was talking about above. Even then, all he does is DB Drags. So I wouldn't really think that they would be into the stuff the Polk Audio gear is designed towards.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    "Don't care about looks" --- I'd see it the other way, the Ricer-snots care only about looks.

Sometimes I'd just like to give people a beat down.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2007
    Josh wrote: »
    Wow...you need a woman.:D

Got one! She just can't sing like my LSi's. hahaha
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2007
    I never cared whether a girl could sing. Hell, I'd prefer if they wouldn't talk at all.