Grillin' like a villain

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
every year at this time in the Northwest we look forward to the famed Copper River Salmon from the cold waters of Alaska.

So on Sunday i'm having some friends over and I'm going to make Copper River salmon three different ways on the grill.

1 simple - fresh dill, sliced lemons and kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

2 savory - this filet will be a soy, honey and Wasabi glaze that will coat the salmon and form a nice crust on the fish.. it's so good. :)

3 cedar plank cooked salmon. Need i say more??

we'll be having rice with lemongrass and green onions, steamed broccoli, dinner salad, and plenty of ice cold brews on hand. ;)

appetizers will be grilled shrimp on wooden skewers in Argentinean marinaded chimichurri sauce. Mmmmm! :D
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    I am hungry now Thanks alot and it's only 3:55 a.m.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    That sounds great...so what time should we be there then....?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    Ha ha ha! here fishy, fishy!!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited June 2007
    Mouth is a watering :p:p:p:p:p:p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    Hi Al. My brother suggests a nice recipe consisting of:

Grey Poupon country style mustard, lathered generously on top of the fish, & on top of the mustard a generous sprinkingling of Brown sugar. Make sure the fish is coated & cook as usual with the cedar plank.

The combination of sweet, savory & smoky from the ceder is amazing.

Have fun & good eating.

Cathy & Mark
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    thanks Cathy and Mark.. nice recipe...

time to fire up the grill now...:)
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited June 2007
    Man, Al! Copper River salmon is the absolute best, but it's major coinage now! We used to be able to get it for $2.99+ around here, but the last I checked, it was $14.99 lb.

Found any deals? I'm going to try these recipes myself. I'm grilling salmon, but I'm a long way from Copper River! Enjoy!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    yes.... I got these fillets for $9.99 a lb at Costco.. it goes fast though. I got it Saturday when the store first opened.. It was going fast.. but that's the best price I have been able to find.

Albertson's was running it for $12.99 a lb.

The salmon turned out great... we had 5 lbs of it.. and 5 people showed up.. so we each had plenty of grilled salmon. The chimichurri shrimp were a big hit too.

I am so stuffed now though... oh yeah. we also got two fresh pineapples.. and sliced and grilled those for dessert. :):)
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the tip I'll check my local Costco. I get 3-4 per month frozen Alaska salmon at Trader Joe's.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    Polk65 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip I'll check my local Costco. I get 3-4 per month frozen Alaska salmon at Trader Joe's.

salmon should never been frozen.. fresh is the only way to go. ;)
  • Polk65
    edited June 2007
    Usually the only fresh choice is "farmed" salmon... :rolleyes:
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited June 2007
    I grilled three times this weekend. Made some great steaks and probably the best burger I've ever made for myself. I love this time of year just for the grilling.

I think I'm going to go ahead and spend the money and get some serious amounts of Copper River salmon this year and go all out with it.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited June 2007
    I need a new burger recipe. I've enjoyed my dad's way of grilled them, but am not open to new options.

Love grilling as well. Try for 2-3 days a week. Usually Salmon once and red meat (burgers or steak) once a week.

Love a good grilling recipe. I've tried to cook lamb a few times, but don't seem to ever get it quite right. BTW, I grill from instinct alone. I rarely use a specific temperature or time. . . mostly cook off sight and smell. . . grilling from the hip. The results are surprisingly usually excellent.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited June 2007
    Party at Danger Boys place!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited June 2007
    Alright, DB! Way to step up!

Be over in about an hour!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • Polk65
    edited June 2007
    Al... thanks for the head's up.

I am sitting here with a full belly after enjoying the best home cooked salmon ever. For many years I have grilled and barbecued salmon in different ways. Last evening I grilled one Costco's Copper River Sockeye fillets with an even coating of sage, black & white pepper, thyme, rosemary, dill weed and garlic. 1.5 pounds cooked for 20 minutes @ 325 degrees, not turned. It broke apart when I pulled on it and slid right off the skin so the cooking time was just right. Buttery, savory and on par with the best salmon I've ever tasted at restaurants.
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited June 2007
    Al, for a few years back in the early 90s I was lucky enough to get to visit your part of the country and fish the Puget Sound for silver salmon and have them grilled or smoked for the crew, what's the difference in Copper River salmon and the silvers we caught?
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,065
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    every year at this time in the Northwest we look forward to the famed Copper River Salmon from the cold waters of Alaska.

So on Sunday i'm having some friends over and I'm going to make Copper River salmon three different ways on the grill.

1 simple - fresh dill, sliced lemons and kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

2 savory - this filet will be a soy, honey and Wasabi glaze that will coat the salmon and form a nice crust on the fish.. it's so good. :)

3 cedar plank cooked salmon. Need i say more??

we'll be having rice with lemongrass and green onions, steamed broccoli, dinner salad, and plenty of ice cold brews on hand. ;)

appetizers will be grilled shrimp on wooden skewers in Argentinean marinaded chimichurri sauce. Mmmmm! :D

What's your 'friggin addy???? Expect some crashers!! LOL! :D
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    Polk65 wrote: »
    Al... thanks for the head's up.

I am sitting here with a full belly after enjoying the best home cooked salmon ever. For many years I have grilled and barbecued salmon in different ways. Last evening I grilled one Costco's Copper River Sockeye fillets with an even coating of sage, black & white pepper, thyme, rosemary, dill weed and garlic. 1.5 pounds cooked for 20 minutes @ 325 degrees, not turned. It broke apart when I pulled on it and slid right off the skin so the cooking time was just right. Buttery, savory and on par with the best salmon I've ever tasted at restaurants.

Steve, way to go.. you're no longer a Copper River salmon virgin. :p

sounds delicious that way you cooked it. :D
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited June 2007
    That sounds so good. I love fresh fish. Which really sucks since it is so expensive here in the mid-west.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    read-alot wrote: »
    Al, for a few years back in the early 90s I was lucky enough to get to visit your part of the country and fish the Puget Sound for silver salmon and have them grilled or smoked for the crew, what's the difference in Copper River salmon and the silvers we caught?

this might answer your question...

The Copper River flows in the state of Alaska. Almost 300 miles in length, this wild rushing river empties into Prince William Sound at the town of Cordova. Salmon that originate in these pristine waters are challenged by its length and its strong, chill rapids. Consequently, Copper River salmon are strong, robust creatures with a healthy store of natural oils and body fat. These qualities make the salmon among the richest, tastiest fish in the world. :D The salmon meat is very deep red... unlike any other salmon around. It's got a buttery, savory, slightly stronger salmon taste to it than all other varieties of salmon.

Fortunately, fatty Copper River salmon is good for you, as it is loaded with Omega-3 oils, which are recommended by the American Heart Association. Your heart is not the only part of your body that benefits from salmon consumption: studies have found that fish oil can help combat such ailments as psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, breast cancer and migraines.

Northwest seafood lovers have turned the mid-May to mid-June Copper River salmon season into an annual celebration. Seattle restaurateurs and markets compete to be the first to get an ice-packed shipment of the fresh salmon. Area newspapers fill with advertisements announcing availability at fine dining establishments. Local residents pay top dollar for chef-prepared creations that feature the Copper River delicacy.

Copper River salmon is a big deal in Seattle and around the Pacific Northwest.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    What's your 'friggin addy???? Expect some crashers!! LOL! :D

my addy is stay the hell away loop. :D;):p
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    my addy is stay the hell away loop. :D;):p

Al this is awesome; Cedar Plank Salmon, you smoke the salmon on your grill using a well soaked Cedar plank as the smoking agent. You can find lots of recipies for this at the Food Network. I've tried a few and it is absolutely delicious. There is one inparticular that I love it is accompanied by Cilantro pesto. Yuuuuuummmmmm effing eeeeee!!!
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    just to whet your appetite all. ;):D
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited June 2007
    Steve gave me a call yesterday to point me to this thread and got me hungry. Went over to Costco...it's now $13.99/lb...picked up a couple of lbs. anyway.

Lemon
    Butter
    Garlic
    Cilantro
    Dried Red Pepper
    Sea Salt

25 minutes on the grill...perfect...best salmon I can remember cooking for us.

Thanks Steve and DB for pointing the way.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    Ron, glad you enjoyed it... it's really good salmon. Although, it's nearly over for this year already.. only a week or so left in the season. then it's gone till next year. :eek: :(
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,211
    edited June 2007
    That is the best fish! Safeway has it for $8/lb and my wife and I have had it a couple of nights now. You have some great recipes. Cant do wrong with salt and pepper on the grill. It has the highest fat content which gives it the great flavor. Cant get enough. Sorry if it isnt available in your neck of the woods. Your missing out
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    bikerboy, very nice.. sounds like you love it as much as I do. is it possible to overdose on it? LOL I sure hope not. :)