9.44 @ 151 Mph....

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
...that's a number from a time slip from the car that won the BFG Drag Radial class at the Storman Norman Reunion Nationals at Atco Raceway on June 2nd. Now that number isn't really impressive because at 151 MPH, it should be 8.44 seconds. Yeah, there were some traction problems. What's even less impressive was that I had a hand in making this impressive feat happen.

This car:

wheelsup.jpg

was broke bad. To the tune of $7800+ in damages. After working all winter and most of the spring to get it sorted out, Storman Norman was it's first race back. We won it and dominated the competition. We were a full second faster than our nearest competitor. Nobody could catch us!

It was awesome! Go ahead, tell me I'm bragging. 'Cause you know what? I AM! I'm damn proud and I'm tellin' everybody! WOOHOO!!!!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,660
    edited June 2007
    Congrats
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited June 2007
    nice, what size tire you running 325?

i've run 12.25@111 on a 235/60R15 BFG drag radial.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    Very cool, congrats!

I haven't been to Atco in over a year. I'll be sure to make a trip or two down this fall though.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Great work John!

Love to see 80's Mustangs getting some love.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2007
    That ain't a '80's Mustang......or if it is, just barely...looks more like an early '90's...

Great job there, jstas!! Looks great! Even better looking numbers!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    I love Fords
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2007
    What a piece of junk, the front tires don't even sit on the road properly... :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    i take it that its a far from stock 5.0 -- not that the 5.0's bad... i dont need to tell everyone what they already know, that its a great lil mill, but jacking the front end off the ground tells me you've got some wrench hours invested under the hood...

so... what'd ya do to it?
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007
  • Jstas
    edited June 2007
    OK, I'm not sure what size BFG It's running. I didn't put them on. They are probably around 28-30 inches tall so a 325 size would likely be it. However, in that picture, it's M/T ET Street drag radials. I don't have any from Saturday yet. They are on the other camera. I was filiming runs so I didn't get any stills.

That is a 1990 Mustang LX.

Vinnie, the easier question to answer would be what DIDN'T get done to it! The engine is a 5.0 style block but it's a 347 stroker with a Vortech blower big enough to fit your head in. It's running about 26 pounds of boost. It laid down just under 1,000 horses to the rear wheels. I think we can squeeze a bit more out of it too. It has a 2 speed Powerglide transmission running into a 9-inch rear loaded with Strange and Moser parts. As far as what is stock, the body panels and unibody, the dashboard parts and the door handles and interior door skins. Even the subframes where the suspension parts are mounted aren't stock.

And yes, it needs the parachute. I forget what the MPH is that the rules say it is needed but if your car can exceed that MPH, you need a parachute.

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2007
    That is one hot car. I have always liked the early 90's Mustangs for the 5.0 and the mass amounts of power you can make with it. Congrats on the ETs Jstas and keep on racing.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2007
    I believe you need a chute at 135+.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2007
    You a sick man John... I'm diggin it.

So its an all out drag car then, not a 'street/strip' deal? Or is it streetable.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited June 2007
    Heh. He said "streetable". Yeah, it's streetable when we get done at like 2am and want to do a test run, we run right out to Salina Dragway (street in front of the shop) and give it a few shakdown runs. That's about as close to "streetable" as it'll get.