Living with old people

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
My wife and I are having a new house built and we invited my parents to move up here and live with us. We'll have separate quarters in the new house but in the meantime we are sharing a rental. Some items I would like to point out in case you ever contemplate doing the same.
They are both well into their 80's. It's amazing how much noise they make, but don't realize it because neither one can hear a freakin' thing! The TV is at full blast all day long. They yell at each other to be heard and everything they say has to be repeated about three times and then turns into a yelling match. Ever heard of toilet seat slam? My Dad has a prostate problem and probably has to "go" 50 times a day.....slam, slam, slam, slam :( The poor guy can't pick up his feet either (he's 89) so all you hear all day long is ...shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, slam, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, slam, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, slam. My wife and I stay up late and sleep in. They get up about 7AM and then you start hearing the cupboards .... slam, slam, slam and then the toilet seat...slam, slam, slam I'm about to go berserk! :(
And how do you like Lawrence Welk every night? Ever hear their rendition of Mr. Bo Jangles? :confused: ouch!!!
I swear, I love my parents or else I wouldn't have spent a fortune building a house to fit them into, but I'm not sure how much longer my sanity is going to last. We've been here 5 months now and it will probably be another 2-3.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    Well even though they are elderly they could still be considerate. Can't you tell them to lower the TV?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    Well I guess there's no point watching TV if you can't hear it. They do occassionally use the text option but it doesn't work real well with Lawrence Welk:D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Well I guess there's no point watching TV if you can't hear it. They do occassionally use the text option but it doesn't work real well with Lawrence Welk:D

Headphones?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, tried that but they don't work real well with hearing aids plus what do you do if more than one person is watching . My Dad has control of the remote but sometimes he spaces out and then the commercials are like 6db higher than the show.
    My wife and I spend a lot of time upstairs but with all the hard surfaces in this house the noise is accentuated.
    One thing we've decided...the new house will have soundproofing ;)
  • wingnut4772
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, tried that but they don't work real well with hearing aids plus what do you do if more than one person is watching . My Dad has control of the remote but sometimes he spaces out and then the commercials are like 6db higher than the show.
    My wife and I spend a lot of time upstairs but with all the hard surfaces in this house the noise is accentuated.

I see a television 'malfunction' in their future.:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2007
    We've been here 5 months now and it will probably be another 2-3.

5 months?! ****, you probably drove them just as nuts for 15-18 years. Paybacks are indeed a MF'er. :p
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2007
    Oh well, lifes tough. :)

I applaud you in providing them a place in your home.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited June 2007
    Love them while you have them, think of what it will be like when there gone:( Elderly can be a handful, do your best even when they annoy the hell out of you.

I hope to live long enough to be a real PIA to my children.
    Carl

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    One thing we've decided...the new house will have soundproofing ;)

My dad has had hearing aids for about 15 years now...He still cranks the TV and drives everyone in the house crazy, and talking to him on the phone is pretty much a screaming match...The funniest part about him is that I have to repeat things three times when I am standing four feet from him, but when I tried to sneak into the house at midnight, he shot out of bed the second I unlocked the damn door...:D
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    I have found this to be true also. if you're talking to them they can't hear ****, but try muttering something about them under your breath:rolleyes: :D

What's bad is that one of these days I know I'm going to be just like them....it's called karma I think;)

You know, seriously though....loving your parents is one thing. Living with them is a whole nuther ballgame. And yes, I did put them through hell I'm sure so i guess this is payback rightfully deserved.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    I lived with my grandmother for years. She used to fall asleep with her TV on full blast all the time. I had a universal remote set to her TV frequency, and would frequently lower the volume or outright shut it off when I thought she was asleep. One time I lowered it, and it turned out she was awake - but since she really couldn't hear it anyway she didn't even notice!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I lived with my grandmother for years. She used to fall asleep with her TV on full blast all the time. I had a universal remote set to her TV frequency, and would frequently lower the volume or outright shut it off when I thought she was asleep. One time I lowered it, and it turned out she was awake - but since she really couldn't hear it anyway she didn't even notice!

That's great man...My buddies dad used to do that too...Only he would wake up if you turned off the TV...
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    LOL! Yeah, sometimes I wait for my Dad to go to the head (not a long wait mind you) and then I'll turn it down a few notches and he never even notices. What I don't understand (God bless his soul) is that he can't hear it anyway no matter how loud it is so why even try :rolleyes: We'll be watching Animal Planet or something at full blast , and every other word is 'the cougar this' or 'now the cougar does that' or 'watch the cougar as he does this' and after about 10 mins my Mom goes 'What kind of animals are those anyway?' and my Dad will go "Beats me"
    His hearing aid batteries seem to last about 24 hrs. and then he can't hear again. After about 2 wks of going "What?" he'll finally say 'I think I need a new battery'. No **** Sherlock, what was your first clue:rolleyes: Oh God, I know I'm headed for the same fate:(
  • jmwest1970
    jmwest1970 Posts: 846
    edited June 2007
    That's great man...My buddies dad used to do that too...Only he would wake up if you turned off the TV...

...or change the channel and they'll swear they were watching it but can't tell you what was going on! :D
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    judging by your screename, aren't you the old people? jk ;)

I think it would just be easier to be drunk the next couple months until you get used to it or introduce the CC button... Good luck!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA your whole thread has me peeing myself laughing. I think just the way you put things is just very humorous!!!
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    judging by your screename, aren't you the old people? jk ;)

I think it would just be easier to be drunk the next couple months until you get used to it or introduce the CC button... Good luck!

Very funny :mad:

and the answers are

aren't you the old people?
    Yes I am
    I think it would just be easier to be drunk the next couple months
    Yes it is :D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    Seriously though, I took care of my mom her last 18 months and it was the greatest time I ever spent with her.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    Sorry, a bit tipsy tonight... Just trying to tease ya a bit! ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    I applaud your dedicated to your parents. A real rare things these day and you have something today some of us don't -them. Cherish them while you have them.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited June 2007
    5 months?! ****, you probably drove them just as nuts for 15-18 years. Paybacks are indeed a MF'er.

Funny! My thoughts exactly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2007
    +1 Mike. It's cool though Dragon, everyone needs to complain about things once in a while, just part of our big big family.

RT1
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, it's all just a little tongue in cheek, good natured ribbing. Not to say it isn't tough and extremely annoying at times (my situtation) but it does make us feel better sometimes to make fun of our situations.
    And yes, I do believe my Mom had to make an appearance or two (or three) in court on my behalf in the past.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    well solution to just one of your problems might be to get some felt pads and stick them on the inside of your cupboards so when the door closes it's not so loud.

I love my parents too.. but I could never live with them again.

Good luck though.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    Your a stand up person bringing in the parents. Sound proof their place.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    well solution to just one of your problems might be to get some felt pads and stick them on the inside of your cupboards so when the door closes it's not so loud.

I love my parents too.. but I could never live with them again.

Good luck though.

Did that already. The bottom of the toilet seat too :D
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    Your a stand up person bringing in the parents. Sound proof their place.

It's in the works ;) Cost me a couple extra grand but will be well worth it.
    Hope they never have to call for help though :(
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2007
    You are a dedicated son!

Get the 'I've fallen & can't get up system." This saved my Mom's life when she took a spill out of bed from her 2nd to last heart attack.

You will just have to nag them to keep their buttons on them & near them to utilize if something should happen.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dragon1952
    edited June 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    You are a dedicated son!

Get the 'I've fallen & can't get up system." This saved my Mom's life when she took a spill out of bed from her 2nd to last heart attack.

I was thinking about getting one for myself for awhile, but I decided to cut back on drinking instead :D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    It's in the works ;) Cost me a couple extra grand but will be well worth it.
    Hope they never have to call for help though :(

You can put in a monitor and at your prefered sound level.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.