America to Canada sale?

Midnite Mick
Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Are there any issues from an American to sell a used item to a Canadian? Just curious as I had showed some interest in an item for sale at the Circle but the gentleman did not want to deal with foreigners. I did not ask him and respect his decision but just wonder what the possible reason would be.

Thanks,
Mike
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Consonance cd120T
Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
Post edited by Midnite Mick on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited June 2007
    Shipping will eat you and him alive.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Midnite Mick
    edited June 2007
    If it is used wouldn't that be a non issue. I have sold and purchased used items from the US.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,571
    edited June 2007
    I paid over 40 bucks to ship a 25 pound amp one time....

Never again comes to mind.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2007
    Shipping does cost. I found that when I've sold audio stuff to a canuck, the best value in shipping is the USPS. Just one form and make sure you spell out your state and put USA on the return address.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Midnite Mick
    edited June 2007
    He just dropped his price from 600 to 550 so I don't think shipping cost is the issue. I showed my interest when it was still at 600. Oh well, just wondered if there was some sort of Paypal issue with International exchanges.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    damn I thought this thread was going to be about Canada being sold to America.......you got me all excited thinking we were finally getting rid of Canada.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    That will be the day. And NO, shipping will NOT eat you alive.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Jonboy
    Jonboy Posts: 28
    edited June 2007
    I sell a lot on ebay not a ton like some but I stopped shipping items to Canada a year or so ago. Always had issues sometimes taking up to 5 week to get the item. Had buyers asking for money back and saying I ripped them off just for it to show up one day and there like Sorry. I will not ship anything to Canada and thats the only reason why just to many shipping issues.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    ......you got me all excited thinking we were finally getting rid of Canada.
    Hummm thats mighty neighborly of you:rolleyes:

I recently purchaced a component off of Videogon and shipping from the US was about $20 USPS for 10lbs.The biggest problem was with Canada customs,they me charged me PST,GST and get this,they added a charge for the processing of the taxes.:eek: :confused:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    damn I thought this thread was going to be about Canada being sold to America.......you got me all excited thinking we were finally getting rid of Canada.

the way your economy is going we're going to be buying you :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • Midnite Mick
    edited June 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »

I recently purchaced a component off of Videogon and shipping from the US was about $20 USPS for 10lbs.The biggest problem was with Canada customs,they me charged me PST,GST and get this,they added a charge for the processing of the taxes.:eek: :confused:

I thought that would only be true of new stuff not used. Maybe it has to be over a certain dollar value then because I bought some speaker cables off Russman for 100.00 and there weren't any additional charges from what I remember.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »

No Problem. :D
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2007
    I've purchased plenty of stuff from the U.S. I've used Paypal also without any problem. It's just the duties and taxes that is a real piss-off. Shipping is what it is, and not much you can do about it, but not that bad either.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    I thought that would only be true of new stuff not used. Maybe it has to be over a certain dollar value then because I bought some speaker cables off Russman for 100.00 and there weren't any additional charges from what I remember.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Thats what I paid(the exhange) for the used unit I purchased .Not sure why you didn't have to pay duty and taxes.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • janmike
    edited June 2007
    The way things are going there won't be an exchange. Well, there will be but a positive one.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited June 2007
    the only time I've been nailed with border BS when on a pair of AQ cables. I've had hk340 shipped to me, panamax 100+ and many more cables with no issues.
  • janmike
    edited June 2007
    Same here. Over 200 transactions and maybe duty 5 times.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited June 2007
    I refuse selling items to buyers in locations where it requires the crossing of national borders or more than 20 miles of water. That eliminates Hawaii & Alaska. Just the Continental USA for me. The other day I was selling an extra copy of Windows XP that I had and I received an offer above my buy it now price if I shipped to Australia. Sorry no can do. The extra money is not worth the hassle.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2007
    I've shipped several things to Canada and found the shipping via the USPS to be the same as anywhere else in the US.
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007

lmao
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    the way your economy is going we're going to be buying you :)

our economy is doing really well... infact the dow is hitting record highs pretty much every day now.
  • janmike
    edited June 2007
    I've shipped several things to Canada and found the shipping via the USPS to be the same as anywhere else in the US.

Bingo. When you have experience you have facts.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    ive shipped several times to canada as well and for me half the time it was a pain to deal with buyers complaining about customs and delivery times. the actual postage via USPS is more or less the same as anywhere in the USA but not really worth the trouble.

also, not to de-rail but USPS is by far the best courier I have ever used. UPS and FedEx are not to be trusted. never once have i had something DOA as a buyer or seller when shipping USPS.