hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
    That's just the way our nation is these days. There have been a couple notable services for fallen soldiers here in Michigan, but you probably didn't hear about them. Just in our area there is about 1 a month.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    It just goes to show the real nature of our press.
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2007
    There was a similar turnout for Cpl Alexander in Gretna Nebraska.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    if it wasn't for the press.. you Joe would never have known about this fallen soldier.

With so many of our service men and women who serve our country and pay the ultimate price for our it.... with so many of them dying on the battlefield.. we would have to have several of these memorials a day.. just to keep up with all the lives that are being lost.

Imagine the press covering 5, 10, 20 of these memorials everyday till the war ended.. Not that these brave men and women don't deserve a proper memorial, but you have to put it into perspective on how many of these memorials the press can cover in a day/week/month/year.

I challenge anyone reading this to attend one of these memorial's the next time one of our own servicemen or women is laid to rest.. it's heartbreaking. I have covered to many of these over the years.. as well as just a week ago a police officer killed in the line of duty. The first police officer killed in the line of duty for this small town, ever. over 16000 law enforcement officers, and towns folks showed up to pay their respects.

Don't blame the media/press for not doing enough.

http://www.krem.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?s=y&vidId=147112&catId=87

*sorry to rag on Joe and everyone else. but the media/press gets blamed for everything. It's easy to blame the media.. but it's not always accurate.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    if it wasn't for the press.. you Joe would never have known about this fallen soldier.

With so many of our service men and women who serve our country and pay the ultimate price for our it.... with so many of them dying on the battlefield.. we would have to have several of these memorials a day.. just to keep up with all the lives that are being lost.

Imagine the press covering 5, 10, 20 of these memorials everyday till the war ended.. Not that these brave men and women don't deserve a proper memorial, but you have to put it into perspective on how many of these memorials the press can cover in a day/week/month/year.

I challenge anyone reading this to attend one of these memorial's the next time one of our own servicemen or women is laid to rest.. it's heartbreaking. I have covered to many of these over the years.. as well as just a week ago a police officer killed in the line of duty. The first police officer killed in the line of duty for this small town, ever. over 16000 law enforcement officers, and towns folks showed up to pay their respects.

Don't blame the media/press for not doing enough.

http://www.krem.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?s=y&vidId=147112&catId=87

*sorry to rag on Joe and everyone else. but the media/press gets blamed for everything. It's easy to blame the media.. but it's not always accurate.

The link is not working for me.

I hear you Al.

The problem I am having with this particular story is that when this story was a negative story, the three soldiers went missing, the search for the soldiers, the negative spin e.g. possible beheadings or torture, the sad news of their bodies being found. . . all were top stories. When this last phase of this sad story's to be told where a father and friends say some upbeat, hearty, brave, and even patriotic things, this story is on the back page. This is what I am complaining about here.

They, and I don't mean you Al, also make it a point to make a story of the deaths of these brave soldiers but don't follow it through. I don't think that is to much to ask. They would definitely publicize and cover it if those religious extremist nuts were protesting the funeral though.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    When this last phase of this sad story's to be told where a father and friends say some upbeat, hearty, brave, and even patriotic things, this story is on the back page. This is what I am complaining about here.

They, and I don't mean you Al, also make it a point to make a story of the deaths of these brave soldiers but don't follow it through. I don't think that is to much to ask. They would definitely publicize and cover it if those religious extremist nuts were protesting the funeral though.

I agree with you here...The amount of publicity that was given to their disappearance and his body being found, the least they could do in my mind would be to show him being honored....
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited June 2007
    That link worked for me, Joe.

http://www.krem.com/sharedcontent/Vi...47112&catId=87

...."It's going to be hard".....a crisp about face, a professional hand salute, and ... it is finished.

One thing that is different in this war than in the Vietnam War is the respect that is given to those who have fallen, irregardless of the total differences in opinion on the cause/justification/implimentation of the Iraq War.

.....and that, at least, is a good thing.
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007

Earlier it just kept saying, "loading." now when I click it is comes up, "page not found.":confused::confused:

...."It's going to be hard".....a crisp about face, a professional hand salute, and ... it is finished.

One thing that is different in this war than in the Vietnam War is the respect that is given to those who have fallen, irregardless of the total differences in opinion on the cause/justification/implimentation of the Iraq War.

.....and that, at least, is a good thing.

That one big point is what makes all this anti-war/Bush sentiment that we keep hearing about very suspicious. . . no?
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2007
    That's the way it should always be. Showing respect and honoring the falling who keep us safe.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.