paypal sucks

JimBRICK
JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
You know what sucks. I go through all th trouble of setting up and verifying my paypal again and now it tells me it takes 5-6 days to comfirm a canadian money transfer into it. what the hell is the point of verifying then:mad:
2 CHANNEL
Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
Under construction
Post edited by JimBRICK on

Comments

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »
    You know what sucks. I go through all th trouble of setting up and verifying my paypal again and now it tells me it takes 5-6 days to comfirm a canadian money transfer into it. what the hell is the point of verifying then:mad:

I would have to agree there....There really isn't a point to it.:confused:
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited May 2007
    Use credit card it is instant.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • POLKOHOLIC
    POLKOHOLIC Posts: 407
    edited May 2007
    maybe paypal hates you too.

on a serious note: i dislike people posting anti-paypal threads. if you hate it so much, stop using it.

also, verification is done only for security reasons. it is meant only to verify whether or not you are the owner of the bank account you have added to your paypal profile. it is there only for identity verification purposes. paypal will never have the right to verify the balance in your bank/checking account and therefore it will always take a few days for you to transfer money from your bank account to paypal. if verification was not done, i would be able to add what ever checking account to my paypal profile - even yours, and be able to transfer all of YOUR money into my paypal account.

in short: verification has nothing to do with the amount of time it takes for you to transfer funds from your checking account to paypal. verification is there only to make certain the fact that you are the owner of the bank account you have added to your profile.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2007
    thats what I said, DO you work for paypal or something. WHY verify my account if it doesnt affect the amount of time it takes to transfer funds? If I dont verify I can still make the transfer anyways in the same amount of time, so as I said what is the point of verifying?
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    no, i don't work for paypal...what kind of question is that?

read this:
    https://www.paypal.com/verifyFAQ/

again, verification is there for security & protection to both the buyer and seller.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2007
    You're in Canada.

Verification is mostly for security and eBay sellers who will only ship items to a verified user.

I'm with the other guy, though. If you don't like it, stop using it. Not the only service out there.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    I couldn't be happier with paypal service. Long as you play by the rules its a win win service. I only accept paypal payments on my ebay auctions and will only ship to confirmed addresses. This way, when I print my shipping label and ship the item and it shows delivered, I am totally off the hook when th eperson says they didn't get it. It's all on the carrier company.

I've been using paypal since 2000 and never had any major issues.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    Long as you play by the rules its a win win service.

Tell that to the people who play by the rules, but get falsely accused of something and have their funds frozen.

I love PayPal, and use it whenever I do an eBay transaction, but there's certainly a fair share of innocent parties out there who have been screwed over by PayPal policies through no fault of their own.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Tell that to the people who play by the rules, but get falsely accused of something and have their funds frozen.

I love PayPal, and use it whenever I do an eBay transaction, but there's certainly a fair share of innocent parties out there who have been screwed over by PayPal policies through no fault of their own.

From my experience the only reason you'd get your funds frozen is if you did something wrong. And the only thing you could have done wrong is not ship said item to said buyer. The easiest way to avoid this is to use paypal USPS or paypal UPS accounts and create shipping labels and mail the packages that way so paypal has a record you shipped the item.

Sure, its not fool proof, and sometimes packages get lost in the mail, but that can be avoided by always using UPS with tracking information that has the package scanned at each location so you can see it moving.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007
    Like Bobman stated, unless you get falsely accused.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Like Bobman stated, unless you get falsely accused.

Even if you get falsely accused, you can prove that you did in fact send the merchandise, even more so if you used paypal for the shipping label. They keep the tracking number on file. A person can say all they want that they didn't receive your package, but if it shows in the paypal system as a paypal shipping label and delivered to a confirmed address you are 100% in the clear. You did your job, either the shipping company delivered it wrong or the person is full of ****(more likely the case).

There is no way to get falsely accused if you use their services to cover your ****.
  • MikeC78
    edited June 2007
    Understood. It's just the hassel and your account is frooze in the mean time.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Understood. It's just the hassel and your account is frooze in the mean time.

They only freeze the amount of funds that cover the charge from what I gather...... So if you have $1,000 in the accoutn and the dispute is $75, they freeze $75, not all $1,000. If that was case I'm sure some ebay sellers would be out of business, especially the power sellers who deal with thousands of items a month. 1 complaint wouldn't stop their accoutn from being used.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    Right, PayPal's biggest fault is if someone accuses you, whether it's true or not, PayPal freezes your funds. There's plenty of people out there who would do, and have done, this just for the malicious fun of it. Sure, in a MONTH or so you can get it cleared up through proof, but in the meantime, PayPal freezes everything in your account.

I could send you money right now (if I knew your PayPal address), immediately contact PayPal and tell them you never shipped the item you said you'd ship (whether it exists or not), and within a few days most likely your account would be frozen.

Their due process is lacking.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    Jesus, you guys are fast.

You can say what you want, I know at least one person who was completely honest and shipped stuff to a confirmed address with all of the checks in place, and still had his ENTIRE ACCOUNT on hold for over a month.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Right, PayPal's biggest fault is if someone accuses you, whether it's true or not, PayPal freezes your funds. There's plenty of people out there who would do, and have done, this just for the malicious fun of it. Sure, in a MONTH or so you can get it cleared up through proof, but in the meantime, PayPal freezes everything in your account.

I could send you money right now (if I knew your PayPal address), immediately contact PayPal and tell them you never shipped the item you said you'd ship (whether it exists or not), and within a few days most likely your account would be frozen.

Their due process is lacking.

It's changed bobman, im 99.9% they only freeze funds to cover the cost of that transaction, not the account. Read my post above yours, ebay sellers would be out of business.
  • MikeC78
    edited June 2007
    If it's changed, that's great! I've also heard of peoples entire account getting frooze for unhonest accusations.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,161
    edited June 2007
    From my experience the only reason you'd get your funds frozen is if you did something wrong. And the only thing you could have done wrong is not ship said item to said buyer. The easiest way to avoid this is to use paypal USPS or paypal UPS accounts and create shipping labels and mail the packages that way so paypal has a record you shipped the item.

Sure, its not fool proof, and sometimes packages get lost in the mail, but that can be avoided by always using UPS with tracking information that has the package scanned at each location so you can see it moving.

What happens when the buyer claims it not as described or says there was nothing in the box or uses it for a day and blows it up and then says it was DOA? These are all instances where Paypal will freeze your funds do a half assed investigation and you may or may not get your funds back.

The issue isn't always failure to ship or falsley saying it never arrived tracking a pkg is the easiest part of a transaction.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    What happens when the buyer claims it not as described or says there was nothing in the box or uses it for a day and blows it up and then says it was DOA? These are all instances where Paypal will freeze your funds do a half assed investigation and you may or may not get your funds back.

The issue isn't always failure to ship or falsley saying it never arrived tracking a pkg is the easiest part of a transaction.

H9

DOA is not covered by paypal from what I can tell. There is no way to prove there was nothing in the box, so if the seller can prove he shipped a box that actually had weight to it for whatever item they are covered. Same with not as described, the buyer needs to prove immediately the problem. Paypal doesn't just freeze funds soon as an investigation is started.
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    DOA is not covered by paypal from what I can tell. There is no way to prove there was nothing in the box, so if the seller can prove he shipped a box that actually had weight to it for whatever item they are covered. Same with not as described, the buyer needs to prove immediately the problem. Paypal doesn't just freeze funds soon as an investigation is started.

I think everyone agrees thsi SHOULD be the case, but I have seen evidence (admittedly over a year ago, so maybe their policies have improved) that it is NOT the case. They always side with the buyer until they can investigate. A seller is (was) guilty until proven innocent.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    I think everyone agrees thsi SHOULD be the case, but I have seen evidence (admittedly over a year ago, so maybe their policies have improved) that it is NOT the case. They always side with the buyer until they can investigate. A seller is (was) guilty until proven innocent.

I'm pretty sure it's changed......too lazy to research it but if you find the actual policy let me know.
  • heiney9
    edited June 2007

That's not true.....if that were the case then I wouldn't use Paypal. The buyer has just as much protection against fraud as the seller does. And sending a DOA, Not as described, Completely wrong item will get your account frozen until after the investigation.

Paypal ALWAYS encourages the two parties to work it out amongst themseleves but once a claim is filed the other parties account priviledges and in most cases amount in dispute is frozen unitl after an investigation or the other party proves their case. This is only the case (frozen funds) if you haven't transfered the money out of Paypal into your checking/savgs account or ahd a check cut to you or used Paypal's debit card.

This is my understanding after having to file a claim agaist a deadbeat seller. He had all the above done to his account and I ended up getting a full refund.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited June 2007
    I also have to add that I use Paypal exclusively and while it's not perfect it gets the job done quickly and painlessly.

As always Buyer Beware
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited June 2007
    JimBRICK wrote: »

Jim, it's not the verification process that takes so long.

Verification is immediate along with the electronic transaction.
    When the money is removed from your bank account (usually immediately), verification is done.

The fact is Paypal is holding your money for 3 days to make interest on said money. It's a common practice in business to do this in order to pay for the costs. Otherwise, the money would be available within minutes of being removed from your original bank acct. Some credit card companies do the same thing when paying with bank transfers.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2007
  • POLKOHOLIC
    edited June 2007
    Jim, it's not the verification process that takes so long.

Verification is immediate along with the electronic transaction.
    When the money is removed from your bank account (usually immediately), verification is done.

The fact is Paypal is holding your money for 3 days to make interest on said money. It's a common practice in business to do this in order to pay for the costs. Otherwise, the money would be available within minutes of being removed from your original bank acct. Some credit card companies do the same thing when paying with bank transfers.

Im not sure what you are getting at here. When i do a bank to paypal funds transfer - the money is in my checking account for 1-2 days after I submit my request for funds transfer and as soon as the money is debited from my checking account - usually by the end of that same day I will have the funds credited to my Paypal account.

Paypal to Bank is a different story. Paypal debits funds right away but usually I will have funds credited to my checking account the next day - depending on the day and time I submit my request. A request submitted monday morning will be complete by tuesday evening. - This is highly dependant upon your Bank - I have an account with Northfork and Chase and transfers to Chase are far quicker than a transfer to Northfork.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited June 2007
    Demiurge wrote: »
    It's Friday.

suicide2ve.gif

I love this...I am glad you posted this, I have been looking for a larger size of this for a while, all I have is the thumbnail.