Question about a new bed

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Okay so we looked at some new king size beds. Our current king sized bed was bought quite a while ago.

When buying a new bed is it an absolute must that you get new Box springs? I looked at our current box springs and they look fine. Salesman was telling me that I need to have new ones for a new bed. Now he said I needed new springs so that the 10 year Sealy warranty does not void. That does make sense to me, but on the other hand I have never ever heard of anyone using a bed warranty, and I do not feel like buying a 400+ dollar one.(thats how much extra the box springs are)
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited May 2007
    Yes. the box springs and the mattress together give you the support. You should always replace both at the same time if you can. If you don't, the mattress will wear out faster (which is why they won't honor the warranty) and it may not feel the same as it did in the store.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited May 2007
    beds are just a big ripoff it seems. I say use the 400 bones on more AV gear :cool:
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2007
    Cool thanks diskJ.

LOL phantom...don't I wish.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    did the salesman push the $100 special mattress cover to prevent any stains on the mattress? cuz, you know, if there is any spec of a stain on the mattress the warranty is also void. :(

that was the spiel I got anyways.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    Wear a diaper and stop **** on the rag.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    PM Gaara...
    He's the resident bed expert. He helped me out alot when my wife and I were searching for a new bed.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    You're no fun! :D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    MikeC78 wrote: »

That's graphic...Face is right though, you are no fun. :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    So have you earned your "red wings", as well?
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    I'll tell you what, man. After my back injury we bought one of those memory foam beds and it was the best investment ever. The Tempur-Pedic is the BEST, but we couldn't afford that so we went with a cheaper model that was very similar. Check them out; you will not be disappointed.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2007
    You DO NOT need new box springs. How many people here have made warranty claims on their mattress?
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited May 2007
    The bed is not important, its who's is in that counts. Put one of the Babes from the Babe thread there and I guarantee you won't give a crap about the box springs....

If you can get a good deal on the box springs then maybe go for it. As far as the warranty, I would contact the manufacturer, as I find most salesmen will create any story to get the sale. Such as the car dealers recommended maintenance schedule, is usually double the manufacturers and is a cash machine for those scared into doing so.
    V
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited May 2007
    'll tell you what, man. After my back injury we bought one of those memory foam beds and it was the best investment ever. The Tempur-Pedic is the BEST, but we couldn't afford that so we went with a cheaper model that was very similar. Check them out; you will not be disappointed.

To each his own. Those things make me feel like I'm on a sinking ship every time I roll over.
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited May 2007
    You don't buy the box springs for the warranty, you buy it because it makes your bed work better and last longer.

The memory foam beds and pillows are great.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • kn505
    kn505 Posts: 380
    edited May 2007
    We have had the foam (not Tempur-Pedic) bed for about 5 years now. It was great for the first few years. Now its memoryless is gone. It has two deep valleys where our bodies slept at nights. Since the valleys wrap the bodies perfectly and therefore the body heat can't escape. It getting hot and woke me up every night after laying down for several hours.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited May 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    You DO NOT need new box springs. How many people here have made warranty claims on their mattress?

I'm the GM of a furniture store and yes, you must buy the boxes to have a warranty. At least on the brands we carry. There isn't a ton of claims but by chance you do,you're screwed. Also, make sure you have adequate center support. Any other Q's, just PM me.

Dave
  • MikeC78
    edited May 2007
    I purchased a Tempurpedic brand mattress about 3 years ago, and had to get the matching box springs for warranty reasons.

I love the mattress and will never own anything else, comes with a nice 20year warranty too!

BTW, whats nice about the tempurpedic is that it comes with a cover! In case some of you frisky ones get a little carried away, you can unzip and wash it.

Mike
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Imagine how well you could sleep knowing there is new equipment in your rack. Is a bed really a necessity? :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    kn505, of all the memory foam mattresses reseasrched, they carry at least a 10 year warranty. If you have deep valleys and such, that is specifically what the warranty covers. I'd contact the manufacturer and see if you could get the mattress replaced under the warranty. That's a whole lotta money to spend for 5 years.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    You spend approx. 1/3 of your life in a bed. BUY A GOOD ONE! People spend more money on tables and chairs. Go figure.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    Before you go cheap and buy some new gear, look in your rack and decide if you'd really be happy with a 400 dollar anything. Some people here spend that on copper wire alone. I say go for what'll get you the biggest bang for your buck, and if your wife is anything like mine, that ain't more gear.

Seriously, we bought a bed from a local mattress manufacturer, it's been the best bed we've had (15 yrs and still going strong), and we saved probably 30% over what a similar bed would've been in a store. Oh, and pillowtop mattresses are worth the extra bucks, IMHO.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    Pillow top FTW!

Be sure not to cheap out and get the pillow on the top and bottom.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    I just googled "FTW"
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2007
    Okay so we looked at some new king size beds. Our current king sized bed was bought quite a while ago.

When buying a new bed is it an absolute must that you get new Box springs? I looked at our current box springs and they look fine. Salesman was telling me that I need to have new ones for a new bed. Now he said I needed new springs so that the 10 year Sealy warranty does not void. That does make sense to me, but on the other hand I have never ever heard of anyone using a bed warranty, and I do not feel like buying a 400+ dollar one.(thats how much extra the box springs are)

PM to you

and as for the people who think warranty's on beds dont get used. I sell beds for a living and I can tell you we deal DAILY with warranty issues and they are well taken care of. We take bed warranty's very seriously.
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007

Yes, I have had warranty claims on a bed (Seally garbage) when it started to break down after only a couple of years, problem is, the warranties are usually pro-rated, and based on full retail price. So if it's more than a couple of years old, the replacement will cost you
    just much as the same bed on sale. Kinda like a car tire warranty.
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    I'd like to know why I can buy a 3GHz microprocessor that was fabricated in a multi-million dollar facility and took thousand's of man hours to design and produce (expensive engineering man hours) for less than $100, but a goddam 7'x6' combination of cheap fabric and springs probably made by illegal immigrants for next to nothing costs $1000.

Seriously. :confused:
  • MikeC78
    edited May 2007
    Yep, furniture and mattresses have a ridiculous markup. I think I paid about $2500 for a tempurpedic foam mattress??:o :eek: :(
  • MGPK
    MGPK Posts: 88
    edited May 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    I'd like to know why I can buy a 3GHz microprocessor that was fabricated in a multi-million dollar facility and took thousand's of man hours to design and produce (expensive engineering man hours) for less than $100, but a goddam 7'x6' combination of cheap fabric and springs probably made by illegal immigrants for next to nothing costs $1000.

Seriously. :confused:

Actually, I've visited the Sealy factory in Edmonton, Alberta three times and I can honestly tell you that they don't hire illegal immigrants and they are the paragon of bedding manufactures. The spring systems are made by a factory in Boulder, Colorado, all they make is the skeleton of the bed and the rest is finished by Sealy in Edmonton. These spring systems are bunched together at 15-18 mattresses at a time and they are compressed down to approximately 24-36" in height. It roughly takes about 60,000 lbs of pressure to compress those spring systems and they usually stay compressed for about 6 weeks. As for cheap fabrics, they use a lot of imported damasks for the ticking of the mattress.

Some people feel that spinal health is a little more important than a microprocessor.
    System:

H/K AVR430 Receiver
    Samsung DVDHD841 Dvd player
    Yamaha CDC506 5 Disc changer
    Jamo E855 Tower speakers
    Wharfdale Pacific P-10 Bookshelf speakers
    Acoustic Research Master Series Interconnects
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    POG, you don't work at AMD do you?

Yup beds seem to cost a ton, but if you think about it, they can't make that many (you buy them how often? Maybe 5-8 in your whole life?), they take up a ton of space and consume a lot of material making them a bit of a **** to ship and store so the productivity levels suck and the supply chain costs are huge.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PhantomOG
    edited May 2007
    MGPK wrote: »
    Actually, I've visited the Sealy factory in Edmonton, Alberta three times and I can honestly tell you that they don't hire illegal immigrants and they are the paragon of bedding manufactures. The spring systems are made by a factory in Boulder, Colorado, all they make is the skeleton of the bed and the rest is finished by Sealy in Edmonton. These spring systems are bunched together at 15-18 mattresses at a time and they are compressed down to approximately 24-36" in height. It roughly takes about 60,000 lbs of pressure to compress those spring systems and they usually stay compressed for about 6 weeks. As for cheap fabrics, they use a lot of imported damasks for the ticking of the mattress.

Some people feel that spinal health is a little more important than a microprocessor.

Regardless of where you place "importance", mattresses could be manufactured on the bottom of the ocean with only the finest silks and the markup would still be out of this world. I didn't mean it as a slight to anyone working in the fine field of mattress manufacturing/sales... just a rant about the markup.