DIY Speaker With Curved Sided Cabinet

tryrrthg
tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
edited May 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I just wanted to share a little project I've been working on the last couple weeks. I am building a simple MT, 2 way speaker. The design is called the Modula MT, it was designed by a guy over at the HT Guide forums. It is designed around the Dayton Audio Reference Series mid and Seas 27TDFC tweeter. There are other designs for different tweeters, like the Dayton Reference Series tweeter. I went with the Seas because it is a soft dome instead of metal.

This is my first speaker build (I've built subs before) and I probably should have done something a little easier, but I wanted to build something a little more exciting than a standard box speaker. I also wanted a floorstanding speaker so that I didn't have to mess with stands. So I figured I'd try my hand at a curved sided cabinet, kind of like the Sonus Faber Cremona series. I had a friend of mine model the shape of the enclosure in CAD software, then I just printed it out, traced it to a piece of MDF, and cut it out with a jigsaw. Once it was sanded to a smooth looking curve I could use that piece as a template to cut the remaing braces using my router with a flush trim bit. Using a flush trim bit ensures that all the braces are the exact same size and shape.

After cutting all the braces I cut some dados in the inner baffles for the braces to slide into. the inner baffles are 1/2" MDF and are used to hold the brace skeleton together. Once the braces and inner baffles are glued together I can apply the curved sides. I will be using layers of 1/8" hardboard (which is like a pegboard material) for the sides. I would have used bendable plywood (wiggle wood) but it was more expensive than I wanted to sink into this project. Hardboard is MUCH cheaper. It is pretty dense and flexible enough to use.

Once all the sides are on I will add another 1/2" outer baffle to the front and back. I am going to try applying the first layer of side pieces tonight.

I've attached a few pics but there are a few more in the link below.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/tryrrthg2/modulamt/
Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
Post edited by tryrrthg on

Comments

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited May 2007
    That looks like it will be a great project once complete! I wish I had the time and tools . . .
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    Could you go in to detail on how you will do the sides? I wanted to do something like that but was nervous.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • tryrrthg
    edited May 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    Could you go in to detail on how you will do the sides? I wanted to do something like that but was nervous.
    I put the first layer on tonight. Kind of frustrating, but it went better than expected.

I used the 1/8" hardboard. I clamped the front down so that it would stay put and then used ratcheting tie downs to curve the panel around the braces. I also used a few brad nails to help mold it to the braces and hold it down (my air nailer was VERY handy for that). I will flush mount the overlap after all the layers are put on.

The attached pictures should help explain things. if not I'm doing the same process the guy in the link below did only I am not using the bendable plywood like he did.

Link

If you have any more questions let me know, I'll try my best to explain the process...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,463
    edited May 2007
    That looks tedious as hell.

Cool though.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2007
    Wow very nice,It looks like a lot more work than a regular box but the end result should be a great looking speaker.Are you going to veneer them?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • tryrrthg
    edited June 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Wow very nice,It looks like a lot more work than a regular box but the end result should be a great looking speaker.Are you going to veneer them?
    Yep, they will be wrapped in veneer. Probably quartersawn white oak veneer to match the rest of the mission/arts and crafts furniture in our house.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Very nice. Brave step for first speaker project. It looks like it is coming along good. I get much satisfaction out of doing things myself. don't let anything discourage you. Screw ups are just minor lessons. What will you be using for crossovers? Is PE going to design them for you?

Enjoy Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • tryrrthg
    edited June 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Very nice. Brave step for first speaker project. It looks like it is coming along good. I get much satisfaction out of doing things myself. don't let anything discourage you. Screw ups are just minor lessons. What will you be using for crossovers? Is PE going to design them for you?

Enjoy Ben
    The speaker was designed by a guy at the HT Guide Forum. The design is called the Modula MT. Crossover is already designed for me, I don't have the time, patience, or knowledge to design a speaker/crossover myself. I'll stick to the tried and tested designs that are out there.

It's not exactly my first speaker project, I've build two subs, I built the sub linked in my signature a few years ago. I saw the curved cabinet design over at HT guide and thought I'd give it a try. It's not terribly difficult, just tedious...
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    tryrrthg wrote: »
    The speaker was designed by a guy at the HT Guide Forum. The design is called the Modula MT. Crossover is already designed for me, I don't have the time, patience, or knowledge to design a speaker/crossover myself. I'll stick to the tried and tested designs that are out there.

It's not exactly my first speaker project, I've build two subs, I built the sub linked in my signature a few years ago. I saw the curved cabinet design over at HT guide and thought I'd give it a try. It's not terribly difficult, just tedious...

Excellent. Crossover design is a PIA. I have tried different crossover designs, and if they just aren't perfect its tough to figure out what is wrong.

Can't wait to see the finished project!:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Ender
    Ender Posts: 603
    edited June 2009
    This is a bit of a necromantic move, but aren't the side pieces too thin? They look like they could vibrate like paper in a strong wind.

Also, so you just bend the wood and it stays as is or did you glue the whole thing on and then cut the extraneous areas off?
    SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

Outlaw Audio M2200 x2, GFA 555 II, BGW 750C

GDA 700, Outlaw Audio Model 990, Sansa Fuze, X-Fi Platinum Fatality
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited June 2009
    Ender wrote: »
    This is a bit of a necromantic move, but aren't the side pieces too thin? They look like they could vibrate like paper in a strong wind.

Also, so you just bend the wood and it stays as is or did you glue the whole thing on and then cut the extraneous areas off?

He'll layer the sides maybe 2 or 3 pieces glued together.

dsc03357as8.jpg

dsc03404cd6.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,316
    edited June 2009
    Fantastic work! I wonder how an SDA type speaker would sound inside a curved cabinet... Ben, care to try that one?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Ender
    edited June 2009
    Oh SHNAP! That's hot. But, judging from the glue on my newly purchased SDA 1C's (glue that is failing to keep the side grills attached) and the presumed tension on the bent pieces of wood, might the speakers not fall apart within a couple decades?

Also, so he did cut off the ends that were sticking out?
    SDA 1C, SDA 2A, SDA SRS 2, CMT-340SE, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII, Behringer MS40

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2009
    I wish I had the patience for that.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2009
    Face wrote: »
    I wish I had the patience for that.
    Yeah that's labour intensive stuff .A nice little CNC router would be handy for cutting those braces.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited July 2009
    Looking great Troy. You should build a pair for me :)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2009
    Wow, this project is two years old already? Time flies.

This was just before my wife and I found out we were going to be parents. So shortly after this my "honey do" list grew exponentially and I never finished the speakers. My son is 17 months old now and there is no time for speaker building...

To answer a few questions. I was going to layer the 1/8" hardboard on until the sides were 3/4" thick. it was a tedius process, that's for sure. after everything was attached I would use my router to flush trim everything.
  • Ender
    edited July 2009
    Got it. Damn, sad that you didn't get to finish these. They look like they could be phenomenal.

• tryrrthg
    edited July 2009
    This was probably too much effort for a DIY speaker design that you could buy the parts for $200 (although still a fantastic value), so it's probably a good idea that I didn't spend anymore time. The effort would probably be more warranted for a balls to the wall design.

I did end up building a DIY MTM that is the big brother of this design. although, those were a boring box that I never bothered to veneer (no time). I ended up scrapping that project too. I see a pattern here. :D
  • John30_30
    John30_30 Posts: 1,024
    edited July 2009
    Yep, they will be wrapped in veneer. Probably quartersawn white oak veneer to match the rest of the mission/arts and crafts furniture in our house.

Schweet. I love quartersawn white.

Oh.

Oh.

Never mind.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2009
    do you still have the cabinets? If so would you be interested in parting with them?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tryrrthg
    edited July 2009
    do you still have the cabinets? If so would you be interested in parting with them?

I do still have them. Not sure I'm ready to part with them yet... maybe when I finally get around to cleaning out the basement and am forced to throw stuff out. I wouldn't mind trying to finish them at some point though...

They are in pretty much the same state as the last pictures I posted would you still be interested in incomplete enclosures?
  • jacob.simpson
    jacob.simpson Posts: 481
    edited July 2009
    Very nice work,
    please post how it sounds with a detailed review,
    what components are you going to use in them
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2009
    I do still have them. Not sure I'm ready to part with them yet... maybe when I finally get around to cleaning out the basement and am forced to throw stuff out. I wouldn't mind trying to finish them at some point though...

They are in pretty much the same state as the last pictures I posted would you still be interested in incomplete enclosures?

pm sent...

• AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited July 2009
    most impressive.
  • shon39us
    shon39us Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I just wanted to share a little project I've been working on the last couple weeks. I am building a simple MT, 2 way speaker. The design is called the Modula MT, it was designed by a guy over at the HT Guide forums. It is designed around the Dayton Audio Reference Series mid and Seas 27TDFC tweeter. There are other designs for different tweeters, like the Dayton Reference Series tweeter. I went with the Seas because it is a soft dome instead of metal.

This is my first speaker build (I've built subs before) and I probably should have done something a little easier, but I wanted to build something a little more exciting than a standard box speaker. I also wanted a floorstanding speaker so that I didn't have to mess with stands. So I figured I'd try my hand at a curved sided cabinet, kind of like the Sonus Faber Cremona series. I had a friend of mine model the shape of the enclosure in CAD software, then I just printed it out, traced it to a piece of MDF, and cut it out with a jigsaw. Once it was sanded to a smooth looking curve I could use that piece as a template to cut the remaing braces using my router with a flush trim bit. Using a flush trim bit ensures that all the braces are the exact same size and shape.

After cutting all the braces I cut some dados in the inner baffles for the braces to slide into. the inner baffles are 1/2" MDF and are used to hold the brace skeleton together. Once the braces and inner baffles are glued together I can apply the curved sides. I will be using layers of 1/8" hardboard (which is like a pegboard material) for the sides. I would have used bendable plywood (wiggle wood) but it was more expensive than I wanted to sink into this project. Hardboard is MUCH cheaper. It is pretty dense and flexible enough to use.

Once all the sides are on I will add another 1/2" outer baffle to the front and back. I am going to try applying the first layer of side pieces tonight.

I've attached a few pics but there are a few more in the link below.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/tryrrthg2/modulamt/

Hi, I was wonder what did use to create this angle, and how to determine the depth of the enclosure?

shon39us
    :confused:
  • tryrrthg
    edited September 2010
    shon39us wrote: »
    Hi, I was wonder what did use to create this angle, and how to determine the depth of the enclosure?

shon39us
    :confused:

With any speaker design it is designed around a certain internal enclosure volume and front baffle width. I knew that the enclosure volume needed to be around .75 cubic feet. I also knew the front baffle width needed to be around 9 inches. Having those two bits of information I asked my buddy, who works with CAD software, to draw me up some shapes until I found a shape that looked good. The CAD program could figure the area of the shape (without me having to do some calculus) which I could then use to calculate the needed parameters to achieve the .75 cubic feet of interior volume (multiplying the area of the shape by height and subtracting out anything that would take up internal volume, like braces, etc).

Depth of enclosure is not a big deal, but from what I understand the deeper the better - so the rear wave doesn’t bounce back, or something like that…
  • stewbaca
    stewbaca Posts: 10
    edited March 2011
    Very cool and very nice. Do you have the original "top" cutout that you printed stored electronically. I would love to get that and the overall height you used for a .75ft3 volume. If you have this info would you pm me and I will give you my email address and you can send it. I would think that would be all the info necessary to build these as the rest just kind of falls into place.

Mike
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited March 2011
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    He'll layer the sides maybe 2 or 3 pieces glued together.

dsc03357as8.jpg

dsc03404cd6.jpg

I have wanted to build a pair of surrounds with curved sides we get this
    ?bender board? between our sheets of plywood looks ok maybe its ash not as smooth but I would fill and go black anyway, its very flexable maybe bends to a 15" circle , I was planning on bonding 4 pieces whats nice about unparallel sides is it wont have to be monster thick because internal resonances dont happen as much , I found this out when I built a tube sub it was only 1/4" thick and it sounded awesome .
  • longdrive03
    longdrive03 Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    Just found this topic. I'm building some large clones of the Klipsch RF7 using curved sides. There is an easier way by using bendable 1/2" plywood and doing two layers. I cut out five braces (top and bottom are solid and middle three have holes to allow air flow. PL Premium adhesive holds the ply with about two million staples/nails. I veneered mine with aircraft grade cherry veneer and solid cherry top. Just about to install speakers after applying Minwax wipe on poly.

I also installed a thin layer of perforated cabinet drawer lining between the ply with lots of Titebond glue rolled on. The bendable ply is $30 a sheet I used nearly two sheets. Cabinet is 48" tall and 17" deep and 14" wide at front and 5" wide at rear. I basically laid out the front and rear widths then used a strip of the ply to bend and make an arc. I cut the arcs out with jigsaw and then made a template using a flush trim (or pattern bit) on my router using only one side then flipping it for second cut so both would be identical. I also had vertical braces in the center of the braces on the sides.