wich speaker amp to run with sub amp

88wildrunner
88wildrunner Posts: 13
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok i have kinda of a long question but ill try to word it so that it makes sense.

in my 4runner i have 2 4'' infinities up front with 2 6x9 sony xplods in the rear running of a 1 channel kenwood amp

i also am running a rockford fosgate mono amp with 2 10'' subs in the back.

my sounds system dosent sound very balanced and my subs are very punchy, they dont have much depth to them. the subs make quick punchy sounds rather then deep long tones.

so my questions is do i need a 2 channel speaker amp to run with the sub amp for a more balance sound and how do i tune the subs for my desired sound. also my 6x9s drown my 4'' up front, should i upgrade to a larger diameter speaker up front.?

thanks
-Brian
Post edited by 88wildrunner on

Comments

• proudrcf
    proudrcf Posts: 4
    edited May 2007
    Why are you running 4 door speakers off a monoblock amp...if I read your thread right. You need a 4 channel amplifier for those. What are your subs? SVC or DVC...2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm....all this will determine what you need
  • 88wildrunner
    edited May 2007
    the subs are 4 ohms 400 watts

the 4 speakers are running off of the 1 channel kenwood amp
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    keep the infinity speakers... throw the sony xplod in the garbage... they sound terrible compared to any other speaker... even a super cheap pioneer will sound 10 times better. you need at least a 2 ohm stable 2 channel (preferably a 4 channel) to run your 4 speakers. your subs should be running off a 2 ohm stable mono amp in the 800 watt range.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 88wildrunner
    edited May 2007
    i know the xplod sound like ****.
    i want to replace the sonys with some polk 6x9s wich ones would you guys recomend to go with my system.

i do like the infinities they sound great by them self but do you think the 6x9s would drown them out to much or do i just have to retune my system. on my deck i have the fade just about all the away forward and the infinities still sounds drowned out
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Something is just not quit right with this. My suggestion would be to ditch the kenwood. Get the sony's out of there. Put either some polks or infinitys in the back. Run your interior speakers either off the head unit, or a decent 4 channel amp.

Now when you say deep long tones, are you talking from a bass drum, a bas guitar, or from some thing electronic? Most bass should not sound "long". I don't know what kind of subs you have, but if they are in to small of an enclosure they will sound punchy, and kinda sloppy but not overly sloppy. You will also have a peak of any where from 1-8 dbs in the mid bass if the box is to small.
  • 88wildrunner
    edited May 2007
    i meen from a bass drum or bass guitar. i dont realy mean long thuds but i want a deeper bass than punchy out of the subs.

also will the frequency switch on the sub amp change the sound at all?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Youre running 4 speakers off a mono amp?? That is the first thing you need to fix right there. Not only are you listening to stereo music in mono but youre also getting the wonderful 10% distortion Class D amps are known for. Thats fine for subs but not for speakers.

So yes you REALLY need to invest in a 2 channel amp. That will improve the sound of your system about 523%.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2007
    523.475 to be exact.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 88wildrunner
    edited June 2007
    i was wrong the speaker are running off a 4 channel amp not 1 channel

and only the subs are running off the mono amp, i never said the speakers were running off the mono amp
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2007
    i was wrong the speaker are running off a 4 channel amp not 1 channel

and only the subs are running off the mono amp, i never said the speakers were running off the mono amp

Believe it or not, they're trying to help. The source of confusion probably comes from this sentence-

"in my 4runner i have 2 4'' infinities up front with 2 6x9 sony xplods in the rear running of a 1 channel kenwood amp"

from your initial post. I took it that way too.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    i never said the speakers were running off the mono amp

Ummm..yeah ya kinda did.
    in my 4runner i have 2 4'' infinities up front with 2 6x9 sony xplods in the rear running of a 1 channel kenwood amp

so my questions is do i need a 2 channel speaker amp to run with the sub amp for a more balance sound

If youve got a 2 channel amp running all 4 speakers, that will also be a problem. All 4 are getting the same power and level and since the 6x9's have more cone area they will be louder.

Getting a 4 channel amp would be the best solution. This way you could tune the front and rear level independantly of each other and this will improve your sound quality.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2007
    The four channel amp is a good way to go. You will probably want to have the rear speakers at a much lower level than the fronts this way your sound stays up front....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • 88wildrunner
    edited June 2007
    i know im confusing the amp running the 4 speakers is a 4channel and i figured out how to tune the rear seakers so they dont over power the fronts so thats not a problem any more.

what i need to find out is how to tune the subs to have a deep sounds rather than be punchy.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2007
    Bigger enclosure maybe.....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin