Grilles for speakers system

Pantocrator
Pantocrator Posts: 84
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
The MOMO MMC6500 has a white grille that covers the woofer, but it looks like the SR6500 just has an unprotected woofer (looking at the pics). Does it come with a protective grille? Does it look as awesome as the MOMO grille? I don't trust my passengers to not accidently hit the woofer... so this is extremely important to me.
My system (thanks to everybody for the help)
One pair Polk SR6500 comps
One Polk SR124DVC sub
One Pioeer Premier 880PRS HU
One Memphis belle 16MCH1300 amp
Post edited by Pantocrator on

Comments

• Pantocrator
    edited May 2007
    You could just post pics of the speakers with a grille, like maybe on your car or something. The internet only has the pics you can see on polkaudio.com, and it doesn't show a grille...
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2007
    I think it comes with a wire mesh grill for the 6.5s.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Pantocrator
    edited May 2007
    Do you have pics? Or links? Or a description with more detail? Is it like the MOMO, or different?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited May 2007
    The SRs come with a very low profile (read non-flashy) expanded metal mesh grill in semi-gloss black, containing a small Polk Audio badge on the lower surface...IMO more tasteful than those supplied with the MMC/db series, but in a show car or tuner flashy may be desired to showcase your install.

Aha...found a pic illustrating the SR grills- 6.5 and 5.25 have the same grill appearance.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qmYrovVi8nl/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&tab=morephotos&pi=1&i=107SR6500&display=L#Tab

See the lower speaker with grill attached. I like them (but didn't use them, behind factory grills) and think they're more tasteful, but the Momo and db grills aren't bad in the right vehicle.
  • Pantocrator
    edited May 2007
    I know I sound superficial, since the point of SR speakers is that they are ultra-high quality, but can I get an after market MOMO grille or something for them. I'm in high school, and flashy is good to me.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2007
    I think the DB series grills would look better than the momos unless you painted them, either way, im sure you can call polk and order them direct.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Pantocrator
    edited May 2007
    would they fit correctly? Would it affect the sound?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • Greg Peters
    edited May 2007
    would they fit correctly? Would it affect the sound?

I can't say whether or not they fit correctly. You have the SR6500s? I have SR5250s and db650s (which I believe are the same grill as the db6500s). I can't try them to see if the grills fit, but if for some reason they do...I have a pair of the db650 grills I'm not going to be using.

The dbs have a multitude of possible screw locations, the grills have four screw holes, as do the SR6500s. I just can't confirm they line up between the two models of speaker (as in, have the same radius circle for the fasteners).

As long as they don't touch or interfere with excursion of the midbass, sound quality should not be affected by the grill swap.
  • Pantocrator
    edited May 2007
    I'll email Polk customer support, they'll know for sure.
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • Greg Peters
    edited May 2007
    Good news/bad news...

The db grills appear to have the same diameter as the SR6500s, but the screw holes aren't even close to lining up. The SR6500 is an oversize speaker compared to the db650/6500, probably closer in dimensions to the db6750. I determined this by using an SR6500 mounting template (with screw holes clearly marked) with the db grill overlayed within the boundaries. I'll attempt to attach pics below.

You could PM Josh/Justin/Thom...IIRC they used a painted db grill over SRs in a show vehicle awhile back- they'd probably have the answer if the guilty party will 'fess up :D

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/installs/viewpolk.php?id=27

...probably a painted db6750 grill, or maybe they attached the grills to the fiberglass rather than screws through grill/through speaker.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2007
    The db6750 grills fit right on the SR6500's IF you are using them in component mode and not coaxial mode. The pic shows the grill painted black and the phase plug painted orange.
    27_44_big.jpg
  • Pantocrator
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, the will be comps. Is it only the Db's or can I use MOMO? Also, what do you think the grills cost, and where can I buy them seperately?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    Yes, it is only the db6750 grills. You can get them through our CS department for probably next to nothing. Call them at 800-377-7655.
  • Pantocrator
    edited May 2007
    What is the CS dept? Would there be shipping costs, or could I just buy them from a local Circuit City (they are retailers, but they don't seem to stock
    Polk very well)?
    One Polk SR124DVC sub
  • Greg Peters
    edited May 2007
    CS= Customer Service Dept. http://www.polkaudio.com/inside/service.php

Give them a call, shoot them an email, and ask about how much for a set of db6750 grills...they should be able to tell you the bottom line.

Even the CCs that do stock a selection of Polk dbs don't often carry the 6 3/4" versions. My first choice would be to hit up an installer for unused grills they may have lying around after installing a pair of these, but I'd bet the cost through Polk CS would be negligable. Worth a shot.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    The thing with circuit is that would have no way to charge you for it. They would just have to give them to you. Call around and see.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    SR grilles appear to look just like the original DB grilles -- very classy -- thumbs up!

To hell with cheesy plastic grilles.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited June 2007
    If you like the Momo grills better you can use a set of G6 grills. They were the Momo plastic grills that were offered near the end of the MM6's run, but were packaged seperately. They fit the SR 6500, too.