Apline CDA-9835 question...

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently have the 9835 head unit that has XM radio and the i-Pod controller hooked up to it. For the last week I haven't been able to search threw the Artist on my i-Pod but once a tract has been selected threw the i-Pod, it displays the text and info. Going to try and troubleshot wether its the i-Pod controller going bad, the head unit or the XM adapter box that the i-Pod controller has to pass threw. My question is, if it's the head unit going bad, is there a compairable head unit that Alpine make that stands up to the 9835?
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited May 2007
    why don't you just get the full-speed cable for your ipod? it only costs around 20 bucks for the consumer. it also supports the apple lossless format which can be handy if you're a serious audiophile.
    also make sure that "artist" is a selectable search device on your physical ipod. sometimes ive disabled it inadvertantly and have had the same issue as you.
    the 9857 is what i have and i have never had a technical issue with it. its a step up from the 9835 which my girlfriend has, and features a dot-matrix screen and cool backgrounds to look at, plus has a plethora of other features to mess around with.
    cheers and good luck
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • Grimster74
    edited May 2007
    ilikesound wrote: »
    why don't you just get the full-speed cable for your ipod?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that cable doesn't work with the 9835. If that were the case I would have purchased that instead of a $99 box that I played hell finding a place to hide it. Here is a link to the head unit I have, if you look under the accessories that's not even an option.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m9Fv38nO0bL/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=500CDA9835&search=CDA9835
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited May 2007
    the 9857 is what i have and i have never had a technical issue with it. its a step up from the 9835 which my girlfriend has, and features a dot-matrix screen and cool backgrounds to look at, plus has a plethora of other features to mess around with.
    cheers and good luck

It's a step up as far as iPod integration, but I'd take the 9835 over the 9857 in most other aspects- Bass Engine Pro features got dropped in '06. The 9857 also has the Biolite display, but as far as processing features, it only has minimalist bass/treble with adjustable "Q" for each.

I hope you sort the problem out and that it isn't your HU...good luck buying anything from Alpine that compares today.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2007
    The CDA-9887 look very promising...
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • Grimster74
    edited June 2007
    Good news, all is good with my 9835 and my 420i. The problem was when trying to search for the Artists on the HU, your supposed to select #2 then the search function, I was doing the opposite, search function then #2. Guess you can call it a good brain ****. By the way, Crutchfield has a kick a$$ tech. support, even took him 2 days to figure it out but they figured out what I was doing wrong. And, by the way, I had lost the owners manual so I couldn't look in the manual for directions.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited June 2007
    the 9857 looks sleeker.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2007
    the 9857 looks sleeker.

Maybe, but it drops all the Bass Engine Pro features that made the 9835 famous...9857 has Bilolite display, but no Xover, EQ, Time Correction. It's just a basic iPod-friendly HU with 2V pre-outs and minimalist tone controls.

I prefer the motorized face in the previous models over the new "flap face". The new ones have an exposed gear set that makes putting the face on more finicky than the previous models.