I installed a wireless router tonight.

Rivrrat
Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
It took me 3 hrs, a couple of tries for the router, a few uninstalls and a system restore to get the wireless adapter working on puter #2, but it's done.

I'm thinking that reinstalling Macafee av and firewall on the daughter's puter after I got everything working effed it up. Maybe the firewall was blocking the wireless signal. After I did a system restore removing Macafee everything worked fine again. I have to have antivirus on her puter, but I know she doesn't need the firewall, since the router is the best firewall you can have (so I've heard).

Tomorrow, I'll just install antivirus on little Rat's puter and see what happens.

Any input from those that have been there before me is welcome
My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
Post edited by Rivrrat on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2007
    Tenebril's Spy Catcher Express (Free) has kept me safe. I stopped paying for all the other stuff long ago.

http://download.tenebril.com/pub/bin/spycatcher-express.exe
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    Sygate personal firewall or Zonealarm seem to work pretty well. It's always a good thing to have both a hardware (router) and software firewall.

If you can do it without the 'quick' install cd's do so since all they usually do is create problems. I for some reason decided to try the cd's that came with a new router and it totally messed up everything. Had to reset the router, do it all manually and then everything went smoothly.

File Hippo is a great place to find all the apps you need.
  • Rivrrat
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions.

If I run into more problems, I'll try to install it without the quick install, that may have been the source of my problems.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    I have MacAfee and it slows my computer down to a slow crall.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    The wizard to quickly set up the router on the disk is just a painful process unless you're lucky enough for it to actually work. There's really not a lot you need to do to the router in a manual setup if it's the only router in the network but if you have questions just ask. (and post what router it is)

FWIW, I ran MacAfee for about 20 minutes and uninstalled it. Not a fan of it ;)
  • Rivrrat
    edited May 2007
    I'm not a fan of macafee either, I've just been too lazy to do anything about it.

I got everything working including Macafee AV, it's even streaming video for the daughter, which is her real reason for wanting it, so she can watch previous episodes of her favorite tv shows. I was concerned about whether it would steam without hiccups.

I used to run AVG and zone alarm on an old puter, and if it starts causing me problems, I may try that.

BTW, it's a linksys wireless G with speedbooster, and a usb adapter for daughter Rat's puter.

The next big test is when I switch from Comcast to Qwest dsl ( whatever your opinions are about dsl, I work for Qwest and employee discounts talk);)