using a multimeter to get a perfect gain structure

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited June 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
does anyone know what my multimeter should read if i were driving a pair of momo 6.5's and momo 6x9's from a c400.4 amplifier? what is the ideal gain setting for each channel and what should it read? also, if i were to drive a momo 8'' sub from an alpine mrp-m450 monoblock, what should that read? help would be greatly appreciated!:D
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited May 2007
    You need the Autosound 2000 CD #104. Play the -6 db tracks and use an o- scope to see when the signal starts to clip.
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited May 2007
    hav you seen the tutorial on the JL website about setting gains? that is why i ask, they have a chart that you can cross-reference for their amps which is why i ask
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2007
    There are too many variables to consider. Like the HU output voltage (3/4 volume doesn't seem very acurate), the battery supply voltage for the amp (from the battery), crossover settings, etc. It's a good start, but not the best method out there. I don't think we have any such settings. I'll forward this to Kim.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    I've been generating 60 Hz tones, throwing them onto a cd, and then playing them. Lets you measure with a 5 dollar hunk of junk meter... but its not going to give you any idea of where clipping is... I only use it AFTER I've set my gains, as a way to make sure that I'm getting the same power to the left and right speakers.

I'll set the left, set the right, and then check them volt with the test tone / meter, and use the lower value of the two as my setting.

It's only for 'balance' (or 'fade' if you're so inclined).

Lacking a scope, I agree wholly with Kim as to how you should set your gains. If you've got a scope, then have fun.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Kim gave the best answer on how to set gains. Ive been setting them that way for over 15 years and have yet to blow a speaker. Nothing wrong with using a multimeter but a speaker will be more than happy to tell you when its being overdriven. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D