H & R Block

Paul in Canada
Paul in Canada Posts: 178
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
I'm thinking about buying a franchise and I was wondering if anyone had any comments about H & R Block.
Polk RTi 8's
Polk CSi 5
FXIA4"s
Outlaw Audio M200 x2
Denon AVR 2805
Sony CDP C345
Paradigm PW2200 Sub
Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08
Post edited by Paul in Canada on

Comments

• Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    I'd look into what the effects computer tax programs are having on brick and mortar operations before I bought one.

A lot of the people I know are using turbo tax or tax cut ( or are asking the right questions about them), unless they have really compicated taxes, and they go to accountants anyway.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    I'd think business after April would be slow.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    Is this new or an existing franchise?
    Ask to see the business's records. Also, be carefull!
    Sometimes you buy a business, and end up getting
    the bills the previous owner ran up. The laws concerning
    this should be checked. I had a several friends get caught with big
    bills like this. I never understood how the debt could roll over to the new owner's,
    but it seems to happen here in Texas.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    All I can say Paul is that I am sure you will do a better job of taxes than the HRB firm that did mine 16 years ago. Never again and I have always done them myself with a better return. Good luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited May 2007
    with baby boomers coming round I would think specializing in the "retired/elderly tax returns" might be of benefit.
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    There are still a ton of people who don't think twice about spending $150 for someone else to do their taxes...and most have a house and pay real estate taxes..nothing more..

a lot of people just don't like or feel comfortable doing taxes..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • Paul in Canada
    Paul in Canada Posts: 178
    edited May 2007
    It is an existing business. It isn't a big money maker but for the amount of time put in it may be worth it. Thanks for your comments and there were some good points made. Time to get to work and see if this is worth the risk or not. Thanks again.
    Polk RTi 8's
    Polk CSi 5
    FXIA4"s
    Outlaw Audio M200 x2
    Denon AVR 2805
    Sony CDP C345
    Paradigm PW2200 Sub
    Panasonic 50"

"It's futile to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person." demaples July 29/08