Auto repair shop dishonesty

2»

Comments

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    strider,
    I meant no offense to the honest people like you. My brother-in-law is actually a mechanic (one whom I would NEVER let work on my car, but that's another thread).
    The thing that chaps my **** are the shops that are so arrogant. I can't tell you how many times I have been into the local Toyota dealership and asked for an oil change and tire rotation with NOTHING else; don't even call me - I'll pick it up at 6pm. Well, they call and say you have to get the "c" service (whatever the hell that is) and it costs 469 dollars to lube my door hinges and visually inspect everything. They even told me I needed a transmission flush - I drive a manual Camry! It has become such a racket that I now take my car to a local mom and pop Chevrolet dealership to work on my Toyota. I am sure not every place is like this, but seems to be the overwhelming majority in my area.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    strider,
    I meant no offense to the honest people like you. My brother-in-law is actually a mechanic (one whom I would NEVER let work on my car, but that's another thread).
    The thing that chaps my **** are the shops that are so arrogant. I can't tell you how many times I have been into the local Toyota dealership and asked for an oil change and tire rotation with NOTHING else; don't even call me - I'll pick it up at 6pm. Well, they call and say you have to get the "c" service (whatever the hell that is) and it costs 469 dollars to lube my door hinges and visually inspect everything. They even told me I needed a transmission flush - I drive a manual Camry! It has become such a racket that I now take my car to a local mom and pop Chevrolet dealership to work on my Toyota. I am sure not every place is like this, but seems to be the overwhelming majority in my area.

Shawn

No worries here. Before I started in the car business I had my share of bad experiences with service centers. In fact, I swore to myself when I interviewed for the job I wouldn't take it if I got hired. That was almost 8 years ago, I'm still here. Can't say that we haven't had any shady techs come through the doors, but I can tell you they don't last long around here. I guess anybody can interview well. Also, I feel where you are coming from about the service centers trying to upsell the whole service package. When I was a service writer I made a point of understanding what my customers expected in terms of their service needs. In the long run, it saves time for the tech, helps me run an efficient shop, as well as fostering a better relationship with the customer. It's always been important to me to be able to reflect on my day and sleep well knowing I treated my customers honestly.
    I don't work directly with customers any more, but I still see them in the lounge, say hello, talk about their car a bit. It can be daunting going into a service center, a friendly face goes a long way.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    I guess I'm going with the DIY route. A bunch of my friends are really into cars so I guess they can help me out with things...

So - what's the best way to learn how to drive a manual? Besides watching someone drive one, since all my friends/family/etc. drive automatics? What are a few tips to get started without having a manual car?
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    So - what's the best way to learn how to drive a manual? Besides watching someone drive one, since all my friends/family/etc. drive automatics? What are a few tips to get started without having a manual car?

Buy a manual car:p

I bought a manual without even knowing how to drive one(mostly cause it was I believe $1000 cheaper). My grandfather drove it home(you might have a small problem here;) ). Then I just kept trying till I got it. It pretty much forces you to learn. Its not nearly as hard as people make it out to be, all you need is a little practice. Oh yeah, and try to avoid big hills your first couple weeks;)

Now, I love driving manuals. The only reason I would even think of getting an auto is if I was in rush hour traffic every day,then I MIGHT consider it...
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    I agree that it's not hard, but that being said, some people just never get it. You're either a manual type of person or you're not, and it would be a shame to buy a car only to discover you're not :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Serendipity
    edited May 2007
    I would assume driving a manual is much like riding a bicycle, you start out in the lower gears but then shift to the higher gears as the speed increases...I'm not sure - can anyone correct me here...

What is the clutch for?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    I would assume driving a manual is much like riding a bicycle, you start out in the lower gears but then shift to the higher gears as the speed increases...I'm not sure - can anyone correct me here...

What is the clutch for?

Pretty much... The clutch is basically used to disengage the motor form the transmission while you shift gears.
  • Serendipity
    edited May 2007
    So, I would assume that you have to put it in neutral when you stop at a red light - Automatics do this for you, automatically :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• tommyboy
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    I agree that it's not hard, but that being said, some people just never get it. You're either a manual type of person or you're not, and it would be a shame to buy a car only to discover you're not :)

well said bobman. But is your statement from personal experience? What I mean is, when is the point when you say "I just can't do it"? I believe that if you just keep trying, you will finally get it... but thats just me. It took me more than a week of constant practice to be confident to go out on the road.

Like my friend who tried to drive my car. He gave it about 6 times, then he said "I just can't do it" and never tried again. Now he wants to buy a sports car and I'm about to smack him in the face for thinking of getting an automatic sports car. Do you think he is in the 'can't get it' category?
  • tommyboy
    edited May 2007
    So, I would assume that you have to put it in neutral when you stop at a red light - Automatics do this for you, automatically :)

appadv, Just do some research online to see what does what( and how to do something). If you want, send me a pm and I'll answer any questions.

To answer your question real fast, when you stop, you can either put in neutral or hold in the clutch when you stop.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007
    At a red light, you just push in the clutch, and put it in first, keep the clutch in and wait for the light to turn green.

Automatics don't go into nuetral when you stop, they go into first gear. That's why they will roll forward if you don't keep the brake on.
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Correct, automatics technically have what is called a torque converter, which allows you to stop while "in gear" without stalling. Pretty ingenious little thing.

Here's a nice tutorial on how to drive stick.
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    Autos use a torque converter instead of a clutch. They use what is called a stall speed which is the point that the converter lets the motor spin free of the trans. (very basic description)

Go stick. It's all about feel and timing. You get to the point you don't even pay attention to the fact you're shifting.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    I have driven manual transmissions exclusively since I got my license 17 years ago. The best advice that was ever given to me was this:

At a stop, one foot on the brake and one on the clutch. Put the car in 1st gear. Gently let up on the clutch until you feel a slight vibration of the car. This means the gears have been engaged and you are ready to take your foot off of the brake without drifting backwards. Press the accelerator and gently let up on the clutch as you give more gas. Sounds simple enough and it works!

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2007
    shawn474 wrote: »
    At a stop, one foot on the brake and one on the clutch. Put the car in 1st gear. Gently let up on the clutch until you feel a slight vibration of the car. This means the gears have been engaged and you are ready to take your foot off of the brake without drifting backwards. Press the accelerator and gently let up on the clutch as you give more gas. Sounds simple enough and it works!

Shawn

Good advice. I remember when I learned to drive stick I found reverse was the easiest gear to get the feel of how to get the car moving. After that it was a couple of times throught my neighborhood, then off to college, which was almost 3 hours away! I stalled once at the toll booth to the Harbor Tunnel, but other then that I was golden!.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2007
    And what can one do to prevent from getting ripped off?

Obtain the Service Manual for your specific vehicle. The Internet has made this easy to do. Service manuals can help you diagnose a problem and offer step-by-step instructions for replacing parts.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    I'm a DIY guy that has had benefits? of knowing friends that worked on cars and learned my lessons. I've swapped engines in a day; usually on a wet, cold or drafty floor. It's like learning to ride a bicycle, you never forget.

This is a profit industry like everything else with 30%+ markups. If you can't take a basic auto repair class, you can visit a local car parts store. Write down the prices of the basic parts in your car. For extra credit, hang out near the parts counter at your local car parts store on a Saturday morning between 10am and noon and listen to what people are ordering.

$ spark plugs
    $ air filter
    $ oil filter
    $ gas filter
    $ motor oil per bottle
    $ windshield wipers
    $ radiator hoses
    $ belts
    $ battery
    $ alternator
    $ starter motor
    $ power window motor
    $ water pump

Every shop uses computers to diagnose and estimate the cost of repairs + parts. In the end, it's the markup that burns you. $34 for a $12 air filter or $8 for a $2 spark plug is common. Ask the shop if you can bring your own parts.

Of all the repair manuals offered in retail stores, Haynes in my experience reigns supreme over Chilton for pictures and step-by-step instructions.

Check with service stations like 76 and chevron. They used to offer national warranties for repairs.

Some prefer the convenience of an automatic while others enjoy the experience and feel of the road with a manual. A manual transmission can ruin the day if you get drunk and a friend that doesn't know how "tries" to drive home.
  • Serendipity
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for all the useful advice. I just came back from the auto parts store and changed the battery and air filter on my dad's car. Those were long overdue, BTW. Turned out to be very simple, straightforward, and easier than I expected.

Tomorrow a friend is going to show me how to change motor oil, and hopefully even transmission fluid (although he told me it is quite a time-consuming job and difficult - I don't know how hard it is but I will see for myself). If I can change motor oil then I don't have to go to a shop and worry about incompetence, etc.

I feel that going the DIY route is better because I get to learn more about repairs and will know what to look for when buying a used car.

Again, thanks for all the help!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited May 2007
    Polk65 wrote: »
    Some prefer the convenience of an automatic while others enjoy the experience and feel of the road with a manual. A manual transmission can ruin the day if you get drunk and a friend that doesn't know how "tries" to drive home.

Good point!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for all the useful advice. I just came back from the auto parts store and changed the battery and air filter on my dad's car. Those were long overdue, BTW. Turned out to be very simple, straightforward, and easier than I expected.

Tomorrow a friend is going to show me how to change motor oil, and hopefully even transmission fluid (although he told me it is quite a time-consuming job and difficult - I don't know how hard it is but I will see for myself). If I can change motor oil then I don't have to go to a shop and worry about incompetence, etc.

I feel that going the DIY route is better because I get to learn more about repairs and will know what to look for when buying a used car.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Transmission filter and partial fliud change is actually pretty easy(depending on the vehicle), but can be messy. Once you get the pan off, you can always drill a hole and mount a plug in the pan for a painless future change.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    I would never suggest anyone getting under a car supported solely by a jack.

Jack stands can work when used properly.

If you are really going to get into this, invest in car ramps. You can either drive up (which can be difficult) or jack the car up and slide them under the wheels. They are more stable for working under the car and if two pairs are used you can do nearly everything under there. Your local car shop should stock ramps like these. If the links below don't work, type in RAMP as the search word.

Napa $38

225074.jpg

JC Whitney $75

G_14722G_SW_1.gif
  • bobman1235
    edited June 2007
    My uncle had a jack fail on him while he was under a work van. Somehow he made it out without serious injury (this was back before I was alive), but he'll never go under a car without a ramp anymore.