World famous bars (drinking establishments)

candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
For those of you that travel alot or not or drink alot or not, I thought a quick reference guide to famous bars that have stood the test of time might be useful. Who better to write it than your fellow polkies.

Kansas City Missouri - Kelly's Westport Inn (it's a bar, not a hotel) http://www.visitkc.com/visitor_info/entertainment_advanced.cfm?ID=10384

Stillwater Oklahoma - Eskimo Joe's http://www.eskimojoes.com/ I once heard that it's sold more t-shirts than anyone in the world (maybe of other bars in the world or just one of those big fish that got away stories)

Next?
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited May 2007
    I've been to Eskimo Joe's numerous times along with the other "Joe's" restaurants they have in Stillwater. Great food for a decent price and I like the atmosphere. Plus, it's on the OSU campus and there is typically some nice "scenery" floating around! :D

I think I remember someone from there telling me their T-shirts are the 2nd largest ever sold in the world...right behind the smiley face shirt(s). It may have changed in the last few years but I do see them all over the place. Mail order is a big business for them.

As far as a place that I like to go to that has always been good, Cajun's Wharf in Little Rock, AR on Cantrell is an awesome place. I like sitting outside on the "dock" that overlooks the Arkansas River.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    As a Boston person, let me give one NOT to go to - " Cheers." It's not the real bar. The one that the show was modelled after doesn't look anything like the one on TV and is a tourist trap. The one they built AFTER the show ... well, it was built after the show, so obviously it's a tourist trap :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans. You don't have to be Irish to get drunk there. Try a "Hurracaine"!
    Carl

• read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited May 2007
    Boot Hill Saloon, Daytona Beach

Better off here than across the street.

Sign in bar graveyard across the street for those who haven't been there.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,711
    edited May 2007
    Maybe not world famous, but definitely a must visit if you are ever in Port Huron, MI. The Roche Bar! (we locals call it 'the Roach')

Over 100 years old. A true 'dive', the roof is low and sagging, the bathrooms are tiny and disgusting. It will probably collapse one of these days and take out a few dozen patrons. My Grandpa used to hang out at this joint! You can really feel the history in this place.

Just don't go there on boat weekend, its not the same then.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2007
    Toronados- San Fransisco. Classic beer bar in Haight Ashbury, dozens of taps, a full page or 2 of Belgians. My favorite kind of bar, no nonsense/light shows/loud music, a long wooden bar with a bunch of tables and chairs.

Long Trail Brewing Company in Vermont. They make great beer, Vt cheddar soup that is insanely good.

Dogfish Head Brewing and Eats- Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. Brewers make some crazy beers, if you love hops you have to try their 120 Minute IPA. Original, fresh food, too.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited May 2007
    Captain Tony's in Key West before the **** took over.......
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited May 2007
    McSorley's ale house in Manhattan

Been there a few times. It's one of the oldest bars in the city. The bar still looks the same as the pics from the 1800's. The place is is extremely busy at the end of the week and on weekends and they only sell light or dark lagers.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html#
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Tattletails - Atlanta. This bar is so good that its mentioned in Motley Crue's song GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS!
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    For those of you that travel alot or not or drink alot or not, I thought a quick reference guide to famous bars that have stood the test of time might be useful. Who better to write it than your fellow polkies.

Kansas City Missouri - Kelly's Westport Inn (it's a bar, not a hotel) http://www.visitkc.com/visitor_info/entertainment_advanced.cfm?ID=10384

Been to Kelly's quite a few times myself... would never have put it on the list you are starting :D

But what do I know? I just live around here. It does have a pretty good pizza maker in the back of it, where you can eat while you drink at 2am... not a bad thing ;)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited May 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »
    Been to Kelly's quite a few times myself... would never have put it on the list you are starting :D

But what do I know? I just live around here. It does have a pretty good pizza maker in the back of it, where you can eat while you drink at 2am... not a bad thing ;)

Isn't it probably the most famous bar in KC though? That's kind of what I was going for but I added the word world to encourage anyone from outside the US to participate.

cheers