car insurance

sophie
sophie Posts: 511
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
I am trying to talk my parents into letting me put some polk momo comps into there car that i drive almost every day. but they don't want me pouting $800+ into it if it is just going to get riped off. i live in a small town with about 8000 people, but my dad works at courthouses allover and sometime drives the car to des moins(our capital). what are your experiences with car speaker? and would insurance cover the speakers if they were stolen or damaged by someone trying to get them?
Polk monitor 10B's and 5 jr's
Adcom gfa 5500 and HK/240
Adcom gtp 400
Adcom gcp 600
MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
Post edited by sophie on

Comments

• BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited May 2007
    Sophie, most likely your car wouldn't be picked on just for the speakers. Your cars speakers are likely covered by your homeowners insurance which will have a deductible. Your deductible may be higher than the value of the speakers. Good luck in your decision, momo's are nice speakers.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Normal car insurance will not cover after-market systems.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/368429

That was my old car. It was broken into and about $8,000 in equipment was stolen from my car. TV's, subwoofers, amplifiers, you name it. I found about $6500 in receipts and my AUTO insurance company covered me for all $6,500 worth + the cost to repair all the damage to the car. When it was all said and done it was over $11,000 in damage and repair.

So, yes, normal car insurance will cover after-market systems as long as you make said system as part of your car. For instance, they would not cover a subwoofer box that wasn't screwed down in your trunk through the floor. If you screw it down they view it as a part of your car.

If your auto insurance fails to pay your homeowners insurance surely will. Just make sure you have your receipts and pictures.

As a safety, be sure to take pictures for your record of what you put into the car.
  • sophie
    edited May 2007
    hmm well i told my dad and i guess he dropped everything but liability on it when i started driving it. would there be a way i could get just the speakers covered? and what is a normal deductible on house insurance?
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    sophie wrote: »
    hmm well i told my dad and i guess he dropped everything but liability on it when i started driving it. would there be a way i could get just the speakers covered? and what is a normal deductible on house insurance?

I think normal car deductibles are $500 and house is $1000. You could always ask your insurance to insure you car for an extra $1000 or whatever the cost of your stereo is to cover the aftermarket equipment you installed. This way if something did happen you are covered no matter what.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    IL Farmers Insurance will not cover aftermarket sound systems as part of their normal insurance coverage.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Some will cover it some won't the only way to find out is to talk to your insurance agent. A lot of the insurance companies will only cover the equipment if it is professionally installed, and the sub box and amp are bolted to the car.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited May 2007
    All the companies are different. Mine will cover any equipment mounted in a stock location. So the head unit is covered, EQ is covered, and the door and rear deck speakers are covered. The subwoofer and amps in the trunk are not covered, as there were none installed there from the factory.

I have always installed my equipment so it is not visible from outside the car. The speakers are all behind the original factory grills, the EQ is mounted behind a cover in the dash console, and of course the subs and amps are not visible in the closed trunk. I have always thought the best installations are invisible, and look stock. I have never had any equipment stolen.

Some people, especially the younger generation (no offense), like to show off their eqipment, including putting large equipment logos in the windows. This just invites trouble.

If you are in a questionable area, it is also a good idea to shut your system off, before pulling into a public area, and anouncing to everyone around, that you have system in your car. Again, a lot of people like to arrive fully bumping, and showing off their system, which also just invites trouble.
  • sophie
    edited May 2007
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    All the companies are different. Mine will cover any equipment mounted in a stock location. So the head unit is covered, EQ is covered, and the door and rear deck speakers are covered. The subwoofer and amps in the trunk are not covered, as there were none installed there from the factory.

I have always installed my equipment so it is not visible from outside the car. The speakers are all behind the original factory grills, the EQ is mounted behind a cover in the dash console, and of course the subs and amps are not visible in the closed trunk. I have always thought the best installations are invisible, and look stock. I have never had any equipment stolen.

Some people, especially the younger generation (no offense), like to show off their eqipment, including putting large equipment logos in the windows. This just invites trouble.

If you are in a questionable area, it is also a good idea to shut your system off, before pulling into a public area, and anouncing to everyone around, that you have system in your car. Again, a lot of people like to arrive fully bumping, and showing off their system, which also just invites trouble.

i was planing on a invisible install but with stock 4 inchers up front thats not going to happen. i am now thinking somthing like this... is that going to say break in or not?
    Adcom gtp 400
    Adcom gcp 600
    MusicHall MMF 2.1 TT