A good sign summer is here!

BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
90+ Degree we decided to uncover the pool today. Here are some pics of the green infestation!

Wewwwwwt party time!
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited May 2007
    WHOOOOOO!!! Shock that badboy with some CL and PH!!! :D

Cool design btw.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited May 2007
    Liquid chlorine and lots of it. I'd probably hit it w/acid to bring that ph down, also. That filter will be running some serious overtime. Massive cleaning. I feel your pain,brother.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    When you hosting PolkFest New England? :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    Run your filter 24/7 and shock with plain Clorox (no scented/thick crap) take it to 25ppm (1 gallon of 6.25% will bring 10k gallons of water to 6.2ppm) and keep it there until the green clears. Vacuum daily. Your pool looks to be somewhere around 12k-16k gallon?

Do the above for the next 7 days, post an "after pic" here and I'll bet your water will be beautiful.

For more info: www.poolforum.com/pf2/index.php
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited May 2007
    steve, sucks that ben is gone from poolforum.com. i cannot register there. but that site is the bomb as far as information. if only you could imagine the hours i spent reading each post in each forum section to find answers to what i need, since you have to register to use the search feature!

bagged, get a good taylor test kit. the k-2006 or equivalent fas-dpd kit. leslie's has this kit re-branded in their name...

taylor k-2006

then steve and i can guide you from there... i'm sure both steve and i are interested in your pool set-up and what you use for chlorine...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    My father handles the chemicals so hes the boss when it comes that....i just finished climbing out of the green water to take the plugs off our jets.

We also have another main drain problem this year, when they redid the pool last year, the plaster somehowgot in the main drain and they claimed they successfully got it all out last year after the pool season. Obviously they didn't cause our main drain isn't pulling any water through it.

Problems, problems, problems. We shocked the crap outta the pool anyway and will have to clean it and get it running before the pool company can send their diver guy in again to try and clean it out.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    The key is "holding" the shock level. This might require chlorine readings 2-3 times a day to ensure you have enough to shock. It takes patience, but it can be done.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BIZILL
    edited May 2007
    what did you use to shock? and how are you checking your chemical levels?

i owe you steve. just when i thought all was well with my pool last year, i lost it to algae. i took steps to rid the pool of it, but they were all wrong and lead up to me having to drain and refill. you had your pool built and threw out the poolforum website and that got me back on track. i threw so much calcium hypochlorite into the pool, over time, my CH level was @ 1000 ppm. my cyanuric acid was at 110 ppm. (3" pucks) and i just couldn't find out why the chlorine wasn't working. pool stores are all liars, imo. the poolforum got me where i am now, swimmin' pretty.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    I'll look tomorrow what my dad just put in. It was a box with 4 gallons and it said SHOCK on the side.

and our test kit is some contraption with vials and different color waters(red and blue) i think, and then we have these strip things......

Like i said, i don't know much about the chemical end of it, i just get the dirty **** job of going in the water to unscrew the water jet plugs and uncovering the pool in the beginning.
  • BIZILL
    edited May 2007
    at least it sounds like you used liquid chlorine. good deal. but i can see you're a complete newbie and let pops handle business. keep us posted on what actions and reactions you have...

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    at least it sounds like you used liquid chlorine. good deal. but i can see you're a complete newbie and let pops handle business. keep us posted on what actions and reactions you have...

I never claimed to be an experienced pool person. :p

When that water is clear I just know it means party time for me. ;)

I do know once the pool is under control we use chlorine tablets in the skimmer.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    I went in the garage and found:

Diatomite Earth Swimming Media
    20 Gallons of Mega Super Liquid Shock
    2 Huge barrels of individually wrapped chlorine tablets
    2 Gallons of Muriatic Acid
    2 Quarts of Algecide or however you spell it.

I'm sure there is more.
  • BIZILL
    edited May 2007
    tablets are evil over time. thus pool stores tell you to drain your pool every so often. anyway, get it cleared up and if you encounter problems in the future, surf over to the poolforum and get your learn on.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    - Use the muriatic acid to decrease ph (if necessary) you'll need an acid demand drop test to figure out how much
    - You have a DE filter (Diamatacious Earth) sp??

Agree w/Bill, the problem with pucks is that you are continously adding stabilizer (CYA)---NOT a good thing. You want your CYA somewhere between 30-80ppm, no more. The only way to get rid of excess CYA (you guessed it) is by doing numerous partial drains on your pool. Never, ever drain more than 12" at a time with an inground; in areas with a high water table, your pool will crack due to "hydrualic heave." Excess CYA (Cyanuric Acid) though used to protect chlorine from UV rays, makes your chlorine less effective at the same time, requiring higher chlorine levels to keep algae at bay. CYA is not needed for indoor pools.

As far as your DE filtering media, I think** you'll have to backwash constantly until you defeat the algae, but I'm not positive on that as I have paper filter elements in my filter.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    I do know that we have no choice but to use the chlorine tablets to regulate the levels because the pool is too large/deep to use anything else. The other 8-10 pools in my neighborhood(similiar in size) all use tablets as well.

I also know that we backwash once weekly. For the past 27 years we have had the pool(ive been here for 21 of them), we have never had a cloudy/dirty pool. It always looks clear and I'm sure this year will look the same once the pool company fixes our main drain.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    When you hosting PolkFest New England? :)

When my parents move out and leave me the house. :D.

Who knows, maybe next year when I'm outta school and stuff and actually have some $$ to host a large crowd. I can barely take care of myself as it is bobman!
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Have I got the item for you: Salt Water Chlorine Generator. I have one. I love it; soft water, produces chlorine (free chlorine) by ionizing the salt in the water. Chlorinates automatically without adding any CYA.

Think about it. Search the web....
  • BIZILL
    edited May 2007
    yeah, even i need to start thinking about one...adding bleach everyday gets redundant.

...yes, i said BLEACH!

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    Holy smokes!!! :eek:

I had a pool that looked like that last year after we returned from a trip, and we had a pool service! Lots of shock, lots of filter time, it'll come back.

We double up on the shock, keep up on the chlorine, and run the pump/filter during the day to keep the water circulating while the sun is on it. It's how the pool service brought it back, and it's working for us now just fine.

Good luck.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited May 2007
    Pristine Blue should be in your life.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • BIZILL
    edited May 2007
    yup, that green looks ugly. almost makes you not want to even swim in it.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

bobman1235 wrote:
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    My father built in-ground pools for a living and I have never seen one like that.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    My father built in-ground pools for a living and I have never seen one like that.

That good or bad??? :confused:
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    yup, that green looks ugly. almost makes you not want to even swim in it.

Hopefully it doesnt stay green :D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    That good or bad??? :confused:

Sorry, that would be bad. But, lots of work it will look good. How far down to you drain the pool in the off season?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    edited May 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Sorry, that would be bad. But, lots of work it will look good. How far down to you drain the pool in the off season?

Well over 3 feet in the off season. It looks this green every year after a nice winter :)
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    I've seen much worse, that's not too bad....
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Have I got the item for you: Salt Water Chlorine Generator. I have one. I love it; soft water, produces chlorine (free chlorine) by ionizing the salt in the water. Chlorinates automatically without adding any CYA.

Think about it. Search the web....

I agree, this was the best thing we installed. Never have to add clorine again, just a few bags of pool salt now and then. Algea sucks snd can take over if unchecked. Run your filter and clean it every 2 days at least. Shock, acid clean, repeat. It will get better.
    V