stock saturn xm unit

ilikesound
ilikesound Posts: 355
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
my gf wants to know if its possible to take out an existing non-xm compatible stock radio in her mom's saturn 03 vue and replace it with her xm compatible radio from her saturn Ion 3 coupe. is that do-able, or is the wiring going to be **** up? please tell me its not possible, as i don't really want to do it...:D honestly, i don't see why they don't just upgrade a nice hu, xm, maybe a speaker or two..
At Home:
Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
Pioneer VSX-80TXV
Toshiba HD-XA2
Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
Panamax 4300EX
Polk RTi8's
Polk CSi3's
Polk FXi3's. (x2)
Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
JVC HDR-50
stock system in new car for now:(
Post edited by ilikesound on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    assuming the two stock radios are of the same physical dimensions (ie. they'll fit in the dash boards of the two respective cars), then you'll have to confirm that the wiring harnesses are the same, with all necessary pins present. After that, you'll have to take the satellite antenna off the one car and put it on the other one, and run the wire for it.

ps -- i wouldn't do it. you can get an aftermarket setup with xm or sirius built in for like 200 or 300 i think (just a guess, haven't priced it in a long time).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited May 2007
    yea, it doesn't seem like a good waste of time to me...her folks try to do everything the cheap way, and it shows. they bought a cheapo polaroid lcd and guess what they're using to get tv? you got it, a coax cable. haha. it is a RIOT. and on top of that, they are using some kind of radio hack ir repeater to get signal from the cablebox downstairs in the basement, and the wire is running parallel to ALL the power lines coming upstairs. needless to say, the picture is AWESOME! haha. cheap chap. cheers for the info though. i don't want to do it.:p
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    something i leared a while ago -- don't do work for people like that.

their whole lives are 'jerry rigged', and if you try to do something the right way, it will probably result in you having to get rid of some of their rigging... god forbid you run into a tiny problem or cost them a dime, then you're looked at like a moron and a loser.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge