How to clean a air conditioner

dholmes
dholmes Posts: 1,136
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
About 5 months ago I had a new Trane air conditioner- heat pump installed & was wondering how to clean the outside unit. The net says not to use a water hose, because it could make the dirt into mud! Thats the way Ive always clean one, any suggestions how to clean it? thanks
My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
Post edited by dholmes on

Comments

• Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited May 2007
    I used my air compressor to blow the dirt out from the inside.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    Frank can hook you up, he's the AC pro around here...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    Ya good question, 'cause i'm about to have my AC tuned up for the summer... are the local tune up guys a rip?

Calling FRANK!!! ;)
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2007
    I have a buddy in the feild and he said that what you need is indoor and outdoor diluted coil cleaner. However, you cannot just go up to Home Depot and purchase this. You have to be HVAC certified and have an account and PO# to purchase such a chemical. I have seen him use this with a sprayer, let it soak for about a half an hour and then hose the "gunk" off. The end result looked like a new unit and the AC was quite efficient afterwards.

Added note: it is suggested that one provides enough room for the unit to "breathe" and it is not wise to let dirt or grass clippings be anywhere near the unit. Rocks, or thick bark might help keep the area cleaner and if you hose it down often when there is no gunk buildup, it will help in the long run. Also, try not to blow grass clippings or debris toward the unit, blow away from the unit.

Hope this helps.........
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited May 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I have a buddy in the feild and he said that what you need is indoor and outdoor diluted coil cleaner. However, you cannot just go up to Home Depot and purchase this. You have to be HVAC certified and have an account and PO# to purchase such a chemical. I have seen him use this with a sprayer, let it soak for about a half an hour and then hose the "gunk" off. The end result looked like a new unit and the AC was quite efficient afterwards.

Simple Green sprayed on the coils with a sprayer, let soak, and rinse.

Repeat.

You're good to go.

P.S. When you rinse the coils off with water, "RINSE" the coils off with water. Don't jet blast them with the 2000 psig pressure washer; that's a good way to flatten out the fins.
    Sal Palooza
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    P.S. When you rinse the coils off with water, "RINSE" the coils off with water. Don't jet blast them with the 2000 psig pressure washer; that's a good way to flatten out the fins.

Great point. Too many people flatten the coils buy spraying tohard.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »

Added note: it is suggested that one provides enough room for the unit to "breathe" and it is not wise to let dirt or grass clippings be anywhere near the unit. Rocks, or thick bark might help keep the area cleaner and if you hose it down often when there is no gunk buildup, it will help in the long run. Also, try not to blow grass clippings or debris toward the unit, blow away from the unit.

Hope this helps.........

My neighbor is HVAC and that's what he did for me....coil cleaner. I usually spray mine off whenever I'm using the hose in the backyard. 7 year old, apartment salvage AC unit and it still rocks the house into 66 degrees if need be.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2007
    Step 1 TURN OFF THE POWER TO THE CONDENSING UNIT!!!!
    Step 2 TURN OFF THE POWER TO THE FURNACE!!!!

Now you're ready to start cleaning

Step 3 Remove the top of the condensing unit being carefull not to damage the fan blades, condensor coils, and wires.

Step 4 Using your hands or a shop vac, remove any debries/leafs/trash from the bottom of the condensing unit.

Step 5 Using your garden hose WITHOUT a sprayer attached, wash the coils from the inside out. If the coil is really dirty, or plugged with cottonwood seeds you may need to call a pro and have them use Alki-Foam (they'll know what it is) to chemically clean the coil.

Assemble in reverse order.

Using a compressor to clean the coil can lean to a problem or two. If you use too much pressure the fins can get bent...not good fellas. Blowing from the outside toward the inside will cause the dirt to get pushed farther into the fins.

Honestly folks, if you need the condensor cleaned you might as well call your favorite HVAC guy and have them clean and service the entire system at the beginning of the season. Unless you live in an area that has alot of Cottonwood trees, a thorough cleaning is only needed once a year.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited May 2007
    Frank,

When should your AC be serviced. OUr new house ( we have not moved in yet) has it installed it's a yr old been used only one summer. It does not rest on the ground it's one of those elevated central air with brackets on the side of the house.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2007
    Annually, at the beginning of the cooling season.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited May 2007
    Thanks everyone! On my old unit all i did was take off the top, & spray carefully with a water hose from inside out, no cemicals just water.
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.