The Official Club Polk CookBook

Willow
Willow Posts: 10,994
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
Wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some of your favorite recipes. So that for those nights when you just don't know what to make, click on clubpolk and voil
Post edited by Willow on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    Club Polk Prison Wine

Aside from the ingredients you simply need a toilet. I will make this at the next Polkfest.

Step #1: Make a strong bag by double or triple-bagging plastic trash bags.

Step #2: Pour warm water, your choice of fruit or fruit juice, raisins, tomatoes, yeast, and as much sugar as you can get. If sugar is not on hand, powdered drink mix will work also (kool-aid).

Note: (Many prisons make yeast illegal on the premises. In this case moldy bread does just fine. Slices should be moist and can be put in a sock to strain any stray elements.)

Step #3: Tie off the bag with a knot. Penetrate the bag with a straw, or some other type of tube to allow carbon dioxide to release.

Step #4: Hide the bag where your prison guard or Matt Polk can't see it. Three days is enough, if you really can't wait. A week is a more reasonable time. Normal wine takes around a month to brew.

It is crucial that you hide the smell. Burning incense or spraying deodorant can help.

Enjoy!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    Hooch(as it's called in jail) has a STRONG sweet smell to it.

Since when do they give inmates incense though? :D

Spraying baby powder in the air is good for covering up scents(cigarettes, weed, hooch, etc..).
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    Stevie's kick-**** shrimp:

- get a pound or 2 of UNCOOKED shrimp, small shrimp--they are sweeter/more tender
    - put a half stick of butter in a saucepan and melt
    - cut up some purple onion, red and yellow bell pepper, and garlic
    - brown the above in the butter
    - squeeze some lime over the cleaned/rinsed/deviened shrimp
    - shake some Montreal steak seasoning (seasoning isle of the grocery store) on the shrimp, to taste
    - put shrimp in saucepan and cook until pink, leaving saucepan covered--don't over cook, they'll be tough if you do
    - serve over steamed rice with a Margarita
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited May 2007
    Willow wrote: »
    Wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some of your favorite recipes. So that for those nights when you just don't know what to make, click on clubpolk and voil
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Stevie's kick-**** Saint Louis style BBQ sauce:

- Bottle of Jack Daniels BBQ sauce (or whatever you prefer)
    - 2 tblspoons of brown sugar
    - 2 tblspoons of mustard
    - 1/2 cup of beer
    - Mix & brush on whatever, ribs/steak/burgers/poke chops
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Stevie's kick-**** hamburger tip 'o the day:

- NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE....turn a burger more than once. When the pattie begins to "bleed" on the cold side, and the edges are brown..TURN. Don't turn again, unless you like shoe leather. You can spot an amateur BBQ'r a mile away when they keep flipping their burgers. Damn kids.

Burgers & pancakes are turned ONCE.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited May 2007
    This one is from Epicurious.com.

Sometimes, I don't bother with the salad and just grill up the steaks. Adjust the amount cayenne pepper to taste. One teaspoon is a bit too much kick for my family. Works well on the bbq with a few adjustments.

Blackened Steak Salad:

One of the most-requested items on the lunch menu at the Chicago Chop House. The restaurant adds roasted red-skinned potatoes and saut
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • Willow
    edited May 2007
    The title will soon be changed to The Official CookBook by Steve...
  • Willow
    edited May 2007
    Tomato basil salad

1-slice as many tomatos as you want to eat
    2-cut up lots of fresh basil and sprinkle all over the tomato
    3-salt and peper to taste
    4-cut up some feta cheese and sprinkle all over.
    5-add black olives
    6-drizzle olive oil over everyting and let sit. (the longer the better)
    7-enjoy
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    This reminds me of the deluge of recipe/food threads that Steve dropped on the Forum about a year ago. Had me in tears:D

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41655
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41656
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41654
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Thanks man, I was lookin for the Tortilla recipe...dig in men!

Stevie's kick-****, Taco bell sucks, steak burritos:

1. Tortillas (the big ones, are we not men?)
    2. Couple thin steaks (chuck, sirloin, whatever BUT thin)
    3. Rosaritas refried beans
    4. Sharp shredded cheddar
    5. Sour cream
    6. Lettuce
    7. 1/4 cup chopped Onion and yellow bell pepper
    8. Olive oil

Slice steak into very narrow 1/4" strips. Brown onion/pepper in olive oil in a sauce pan. Add steak strips, let simmer while covered, turning frequently. Warm up refried beans in pot (add about 2 tablspns of water). Warm tortillas just before rolling (10-15 secs in microwave works perfect). When the steak is done:

Use the back side of a spoon and spread some sour cream on first, then do the same with the refried beans, add the steak strips, cheddar and lettuce. Fluff and fold. Pour and ice cold Corona, Dos equis, or Tecate and enjoy. The are awesome--add a little chili powder while simmering if you want to kick it up a bit.

NOTE: Even if you don't like onions/peppers, don't exclude them...they flavor the meat properly. Just use a fork to grab up the strips only if you don't like the texture of onion/pepper (I don't).
  • strider
    edited May 2007
    For each serving:

1 portobella cap (remove the stem if it has one)
    Italian dressing
    fresh basil
    fresh mozzarella
    good tomatoes
    1 big ol' tortilla

marinate the 'shrooms in the Italian dressing for 15-30 minutes, I like to start by pouring the dressing into the gills and let 'em sit facing up first. Flip them once in the dressing. Grill for 1/2 beer (6-8 minutes), flipping once. While the grilling's going on, chop the tomatoes (you'll have to decide how many are going to fit) and the basil. Couple of semi-thick slices of mozzarella should be chopped off, too. When the caps are done, you can either slice them or use them whole, put 1 in the middle of each tortilla, throw the cheese on, then the tomato, then the basil. Fold it up so it looks like one of those Taco Bell burrito frisbees, and grill for a minute or so to melt the cheese a bit. Sometimes we'll put some aioli (far as I can tell a hoity toity name for mayo) on the tortilla, too. Guaranteed to convert at least one mushroom hater in your life.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Stevie's cool beans & hamhock's tip:

When your favorite pinto beans/ham hocks are almost done, add a can of tomato soup and let simmer for the last 30 minutes of cooking....

It's so good, you'll send me a Christmas card.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    Steve is the Rachael Ray of Club Polk.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • strider
    edited May 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Steve is the Rachael Ray of Club Polk.

You've got a great butt, Steve!
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    Fire up the BBQ Steve, I'm on my way.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    strider wrote: »
    You've got a great butt, Steve!

That's what my wife says.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2007
    I made this last night for dinner...delicious!

CHICKEN:
    2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
    PASTA:
    1 ib. penne pasta
    SAUCE:
    4 Tbsp. butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp. salt
    3/4 tsp. ground white pepper
    2 cups milk
    1 cup half-and-half
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    8 oz. shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
    4 oz. jar jalapeno peppers (in juice), sliced

In a large skillet over medium heat combine chicken, 2 tablespoons butter, garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes; drain.

Meanwhile, start making a roux:
    Melt 4 tablespoons butter in the skillet. Add garlic. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes stirring constantly. Slowly add milk and half-and-half, continue to stir until smooth and creamy.

Stir in Parmesan and Colby-Monterey Jack cheeses; stir until cheese is melted.

Add jalapeno peppers and stir in chicken. Add alfredo mixture to cooked penne pasta and serve.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    Dave's kick **** breakfast.

1 bowl
    1 box cold cereal
    milk

Combine and enjoy!!!!!!!!!:D :eek: :)
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    LOL!! Daaaaaaaaave TV!
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    Stevie's REAL Margarita:

- No REAL margarita ever sees the inside of a blender, with that said....
    - Rememeber 3:2:1
    - 3 parts blanco (non-aged) Tequila: 2 parts triple sec: 1 part lime juice
    - Combine w/crushed ice in a shaker
    - shake & bake
    - Pour in a kosher coarse salt lined glass (use a lime to make it stick)

That's a REAL Margarita.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2007
    strider wrote: »
    Grill for 1/2 beer (6-8 minutes), flipping once.
    Finally! A recipie I can understand!:D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    Venny Roll
    Take a 12-16" venison back strap, and fillet it at 1/2" thick. You should end up with a sheet of meat about a foot wide.
    Slice some portabella mushrooms, green peppers, onions, and sprinkle with marjoram(not the stuff some people smoke), salt, pepper, and LaChoy soy sauce (do not use any other brand).
    Spread all the ingredients on the sheet of meat, roll up, and tie with cooking string.
    Bake at 325 covered until the center reaches 140 degrees (you will definitely want this on the rare side).
    You may make a mild brown gravy, and toast to go with it. It is definitely the most praised thing I cook.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Finally! A recipie I can understand!:D

It takes people 6-8 minutes to drink half a beer? It takes 6-8 minutes for me to drink 1.5 beer....Maybe I have a problem...:D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited May 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Club Polk Prison Wine

Enjoy!

Glad I don't really care for wine! That stuff sounds like it'll make you go blind!

I'll find my pepperoni bread recipe when I get home. Maybe I can find the beer bread one too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Stevie's kick-**** hamburger tip 'o the day:

- NEVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE....turn a burger more than once. When the pattie begins to "bleed" on the cold side, and the edges are brown..TURN. Don't turn again, unless you like shoe leather. You can spot an amateur BBQ'r a mile away when they keep flipping their burgers. Damn kids

Burgers & pancakes are turned ONCE.

A very good tip indeed...also when making your burgers,add a pat of butter right in the middle of your pattie...Same goes for Steaks...one turn and one turn only.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    Jstas wrote: »
    Glad I don't really care for wine! That stuff sounds like it'll make you go blind!
    It's not that strong, still strong enough to get you drunk though. Anytime a inmate comes down to medical for vomiting, and they smell like alcohol, you know it's time to shake down the dorm or tier.

Now for my contribution.

Faceman's burgers:
    I use a dash of each ingredient listed below per burger. If I'm making them for myself only, I go heavy on the peppers.
    Cayenne Pepper
    Chipotle Pepper
    Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder

Pinch of Paprika

Teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce

90% lean chop meat.

I also use Kick'rs catsup from Heinz and no bun. My mouth is watering right now from thinking of the smell.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Stevie's kick-****, Taco bell sucks, steak burritos:

Yum. I made this last night for dinner with a pound of steak using one cup of mixed red onion and yellow bell peppers. This made 6 steak burritos.

Something neat about this recipe is the leftovers can be made into extra burritos, wrapped in saran wrap and brown paper bag then placed in the freezer. Regular leftovers go in the fridge for the day afters meal.

Try putting them in the oven for a few minutes at 350 degrees to toast the tortilla and melt the cheese. Mildly kick this up with BBQ'd bell peppers or chili's. Once discovered, BBQ'd peppers are addicting and can be added to everything including omelets, soups, sandwiches, spaghetti sauce and dinners.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,978
    edited May 2007
    Best snack dip ever! It's called "Ugly dip". 3 easy to remember ingredients;
    2 bars Philadelphia cream cheese
    Log of hot sausage
    Large jar of favorite salsa

Cook and break up sausage before adding cream cheese and salsa. That's it. If you mess up this recipie, don't bother trying to make ice. [You can thank me later.] More to come......

Warning: Eating this dip with easy scoop Frito's can cause you to go back to the store immediately when you run out.:eek: :D;)

Don't delay, try it for memorial day!!!
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2007
    ********** TOPSECRET **********

Stevie's G-14 Classified Prime Rib Tip:

- Next time you want prime rib, coat it in rock salt or kosher flaked coarse salt completey covering it. DO NOTHING ELSE...It's prime rib.

- Cook as you normally would, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that prime rib is left pink inside, right? In Arizona you can get 2-5 yrs in medium security prison for over-cooking a prime rib; it should be a Federal law.

- This will be the most tender prime rib you'll ever wrap your soup-coolers around.

********** TOPSECRET **********