One amp able to run 2 sets of fronts/centers by switching?

Options
brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited September 2002 in Electronics
This is actually a receiver question, but ya gotta wade through the speaker part of this one............. :-)

OK......I'm all for overkill, and I'm debating adding a few things to what I've got. In addition to what I have, I am interested in the Lsi9's, and the LsiC. Is there a way to hook all of the speakers up to the same amp and just switch between the two sets based on the type of listening that I wanna do?

The reason I ask is cuz I love my RT16's for music(hard house, techno, trance, etc), but I don't think that the Lsi's could give me what I want out of a speaker for that music. I want the Lsi's for the benefit of very crisp and sharp sounds in movies etc. I'm not complaining really about my RT's, but I'm curious if I could be running them both off the same amp somehow (NOT at the same time.....just switching whenever needed)

Granted, I know the type of amp would be an issue, but tentatively, I'm thinkin the Denon 5803.

I guess this post could go in the speaker set too, but to blend the two together.....also, I'm curious if it would be workable to use the f/x1000's along with the Lsi's up front. With the majority of sound being just sound effects out of the surrounds, I wouldn't think that a sound effect would be that much different between the two. I could see volume levels needing to be adjusted if the fx1000's are gonna be used with the Lsi's, but that's workable.........

Help?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Brett:

If you're not planning on switching two different types of center channel speakers in addition to the mains, then I think something similar tothe Parasound S/PS-140 Loudspeaker Selector might do the trick. This switch permits switching up to four pairs of speakers. You can select one pair at a time or more than one pair depending on the capabilities of your amplifier.

The problem is it has inputs for only two amplifiers inputs (right and left channel), it doesn't accommodate a third amplifier channel for the center channel. If you plan on switching the center channel in addition to the mains, then you would need a similar switch for the center channel. (This arrangement of course has a lot of extra outputs that you don't need. However I have seen people use them for running extra sets of speakers in other rooms without buying extra amplifiers.)

Perhasps there are three channel switches, but the only gadgets I have seen that switch three or more channels are part of retail speaker displays that switch banks of ten 5.1 channel home theater setups. This of course would be serious overkill.

Larry
  • brettw22
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Thank you Larry...........

I am going to call Parasound this week to see if they do in fact make something that would accomodate a center channel speaker. The only other option would be to purchase 2 of the switches, one for the fronts, and one for the center. Seems like it'd be a pain in the a$$, but it might be my only option.......(aside from not getting 2 complete sets of fronts, but that's no fun)
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Brett:

To economize a little, you might be able to find a second speaker switch for the center channels that doesn't provide for four pairs of speakers. I think that Niles makes a switch for only three pair of speakers (still a bit of overkill). Regardless of what you select, make sure it will handle your power requirements. (The Parasound handles 250 watts per channel, the entry level Niles switches handle 100 watts per channel. )

I'm assuming that the Niles three pair is going to be cheaper than Parasound's four pair, but of course that might not be the case.

Although I didn't see any three channel switches on the Niles web site, they have a wide variety of switches, so you might want to talk to them as well before you commit to a final solution.

Larry
  • brettw22
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Thank you again.........

I'll have to read up on those this week sometime. I'm on my way out to KC for the week on business, so don't have a lot of time today. Gotta get packed and head outta here.......

One question though.......provided I do end up going this route, which brand is more reputable with regard to build quality etc......