phasing statements/questions

vawakemonster
vawakemonster Posts: 131
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well I have been playing with my speakers lately and I wired the tweeters backwards for a month then i turned them back to normal and I think that the myth of tweeters soundiing better when wired backwards is becasue it makes them lass biright and less accurate.
then I turned my sub into reverse on my HU and all the bass fell in to place and cleaned up
then I put both mids wiried regularley and it sounds very acurate and the music all matches up now.

I just wanted to see what you guys thouht of this and see if I am hullucenating in hering the difference
Dodge Dakota
HU: Pioneer
Amp: Profile AP600 & Phoenix gold r2.5:2
Speakers: Boston SX 6.5 components
Subwoofer: polk mm2104
Post edited by vawakemonster on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2007
    Changing the phase can make a huge difference.

Using a SPL meter and my computer, I tested different phases with both my subs and it took 15 min to find the right combo. The wrong combo gave a huge dip every 5 hz, ha.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    Ideally if youre sitting an equal distance away from all speakers and theyre all unobsturcted and firing at you at off the same axis then they would all be in phase. But since a car is the worst possible enviornment for good sound, your speakers are not only each at a different distance but also at different axis angles and have different obstructions to negotiate.

Because of this, youre going to have phasing problems. The best way to fix these is with a $1000 processor that has independant crossover, time alignment and 1/3 octave EQ. However, most people dont have the cash or desire to drop $1000 on one so playing with phase is a good (and cheap) way to fix it.

If I turn all my time alignment off, my system is totally out of phase. I have to flop the right mid out and the sub out to make it sound right again.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D