Small dent in SR tweeter...big problem?

Nitewing911
Nitewing911 Posts: 10
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm in the middle of custom fabricating my sail panels to fit the SR tweeters in. In the process, I put a small dent in the outer ring of one of the tweeters. I don't have the speakers hooked up just yet, but is this a big problem? How much will it affect the sound? I have a couple pictures to give you a better idea...

m89710848.jpg

m89710831.jpg
Post edited by Nitewing911 on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2007
    Yes, that will more than likely change the sound. That is actually the "cone". I can't say how much or if you'll even hear it. Do an A/B test with the other one and compare. Another thing is to try to pull the dent out somehow. Maybe tape or a low powered vacuum.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    i haven't played with SR's yet, but if that's a soft cloth like material as i suspect, then chances are you'll do more harm than good if you try to pull that out. you made a boo boo --- not a huge one tho, you didn't completely trash it. live with it, not the end of the world.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    This brings up a critique for the R & D guys at Polk HQ.

Those little notches on the tweeter that you use to twist it into the mounting cup are dangerous! You put the key on there and try to twist them into the grooves on the cup and its real easy for it to slip off. Ive given myself a heart attack several times by doing this and thinking I just ripped the cone completley off. Might be a good idea to come up with either a better way to get them in the mounting cup of come out with a key that fits better on there. Just my $.02. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Nitewing911
    Nitewing911 Posts: 10
    edited May 2007
    MacLeod, that's exactly what happened! And I was being careful, too. From what people have been saying, the there shouldn't be too big a difference in sound, if any. I'm hooking them up on Friday, so we'll see.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't think you could hear a difference. I wonder if toughing it lightly with a piece of tape if you couldn't pull it back out?
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited May 2007
    The response from one of our engineers:

If you have a similar dent in a regular dome, it's not an issue (it's surprising how dented a tweeter dome can get and sound OK.) With a ring tweeter, it's probably OK, but since it's on the moving part of the diaphragm it might buzz. If he can sweep it before installing it, he could listen for any buzzes and if there weren't any then the tweeter's fine. The dent may go away on its own given enough time. Ultimately, I'd probably just install it and listen to it. If it didn't tear or damage the voicecoil (and it looks like it didn't), then it's probably OK.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    ^ now that's quality customer service :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge