Starcraft 2

Options
Gaara
Gaara Posts: 2,415
edited July 2010 in Video Games
http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just got my 8800GTS 640mb videocard and been loving the demos of Command and Conquer and Company of Heroes. Wake up this morning and there is news of a new Starcraft...I'm excited. I loved WarCraft3 and the expansion, so I can't wait to see how the new Starcraft turns out. This game was the shite back in the day...I miss zergling rushes.

Jared
Post edited by Gaara on

Comments

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Starcraft is one of the very, very few great games that never had a sequel, some part of me wants it to stay that way...

Plus, my computer is from like 1995 so it wouldn't be able to run it anyways:( :p
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited May 2007
    Options
    me and my boys still fire the ole starcraft up once in awhile its still fun .......
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Deadof_knight
    edited May 2007
    Options
    games dont have to be life like in my opinion to be fun, its still a game ?

kinda odd pay 500.00 for a video card to run a 40.00 dollar game ?

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I'm the kinda person who will buy multiple versions of dvds if it improves the move, ex remasters and director's cuts. I personally would rather pay an extra $15 for a dvd I already own if it means the new version will look and sound better. Life is short so I want the best experience possible. That is why I upgraded video cards, I went my games looking as good as they can, because I will be spending a part of my life playing them. I wouldn't want to waste my life playing games that don't look and sound as good as I can reasonably get.

Looking at the videos and some of the info that has been released it looks like they are following the C&C route, aka staying with the routes of the game just making it play and look better. Better looking models, better action, more characters on screen at once, just much nicer looking overall. I hope they don't change the basic mechanics of the game at all...it would ruin the experience.

Jared
  • Deadof_knight
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Its funny this game came up I just loaded my AVP gold disk last night and played for like 2 hours hahaha

Oh no dude Im not picking on you I understand that thought process a great deal I have plenty of new remastered copies and new directors cuts bla bla bla. In my opinion the computer upgrade thing is So damn hard to keep up with I think its great with the new video cards and an old game running the damn speed is insane now , Its just cant afford all the want to HOBBIES I eventually upgrade anways Im just about 2-3 years back in the realm of things.

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2007
    Options
    tommyboy wrote: »
    Starcraft is one of the very, very few great games that never had a sequel, some part of me wants it to stay that way...

Plus, my computer is from like 1995 so it wouldn't be able to run it anyways:( :p

Was never going to happen that way. Starcraft is another religion in South Korea. They hold tournaments there that are like the Super Bowl is here.

Diablo III will be next, but I suspect World of Warcraft will outlast EQ in terms of how long people play it -- so who knows what gaming will be like by the time that one comes out.
  • KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,195
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Just found out about it last night, this is the one game thats really going to make me replace my 5 year old PC. Man I can't wait for this game to come out, same races, looks they replaced some units, will be next to impossible to make it as enjoyable, and as good as the original, but Blizzard rarely disappoints.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Man, I can't tell you how many hours of my life have been lost to that game. My brothers and I still play it on Battle.net from time to time. Great classic--can't wait for the new one.

I remember one night staying up late working on a campaign level. I was struggling to make it past, and so I started typing in all sorts of weird phrases. I actually guessed "show me the money". I nearly peed my pants when I got a bunch of minerals. It was great. :D
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited May 2007
    Options
    dude, I LOVED starcraft. really the only PC game I really liked alot
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Starcraft was one of the big reason why I didn't switch to Linux. The new gameplay video was just uploaded on http://www.starcraft2.com/movies.xml well worth the download 21 minutes of gameplay!
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2007
    Options
    A classic indeed, it was the only game I could ever get to work on my PC from work, indeed passed the time when I would go on business trips. Still does to the day, count me in on this one.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I am so stoked about the remake. Hopefully my own 5 year old PC will be able to run it. I can run FEAR, so I should be okay :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • tommyboy
    edited May 2007
    Options
    nadams wrote: »
    Hopefully my own 5 year old PC will be able to run it.

This is the reason I despise PC games. Everytime a game comes out, you have to worry if your computer can handle it:rolleyes:

I miss playing starcraft. I had it in the cd-rom a couple years ago and it "magically" disappeared.... Meaning my mother threw it away somehow. Mabye I'll just pony up another 20 bucks to play it again...
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited May 2007
    Options
    tommyboy wrote: »
    This is the reason I despise PC games. Everytime a game comes out, you have to worry if your computer can handle it:rolleyes:

I miss playing starcraft. I had it in the cd-rom a couple years ago and it "magically" disappeared.... Meaning my mother threw it away somehow. Mabye I'll just pony up another 20 bucks to play it again...

True, but on the other hand, until consoles let people play games with a keyboard and mouse, there's no way games like starcraft(see the horrible n64 port as proof) would be feasible. And, of course, the premium you pay gives you premier graphics.

Can't wait for starcraft 2. Pretty much any computer made in the last 5 years should play it, by every indication it's made with a modified warcraft 3 engine and my 700 mhz 7 year old computer could play it. Blizzard isn't stupid, they'll get this to work on every machine that can play WoW.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Starcraft 2 official release date announced, July 27th, 2010

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/long-awaited-starcraft-ii-in-stores-july-27/1398084

This should waste many hours of time.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm playing the beta right now (well, when i'm not at work). It's definitely a blast, but there's a lot of balancing that needs doing.

Right now the game is about who can out-zerg the other person, even if you're not Zerg. Strategy for the most part is thrown out the window for numbers.
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I don't know I feel there is still plenty of strategy and balance. I don't have enough games in to say it's as balanced as the original. However I agree there will be changes to balance the game out.
    Setup:

• ryanjoachim
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The only strategy i've seen is the decision of whether to turtle or zerg early. Granted there may be some people who play "smart", but in general those that do play too slow and get zerged.
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ZERGLING RUSH kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeekeekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekek
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • ryanjoachim
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ZERGLING RUSH kekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekeekeekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekekek

More like "VOID RAY RUSH kEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE"

Win.
    My System:

• KrazyMofo24
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yeah playing slow will always lose to rushes...that was the same with the first game. You have to be efficient get base and army asap. Those rushes can be countered. So far the game is great they just released another patch to help balance the game more.

They'll continue to make those patches...and probably an expansion pack like they did with brood war.
    Setup:

• ryanjoachim
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I will definitely buy the game just for the single-player, as i'm sure a lot of work is being put into making it epic.

The online learning curve is incredibly steep right now, as all the "starcraft pros" are always online and always perfecting their build order. That's one thing I never liked about Starcraft...you are required to have a build order down pat in order to not get raped in the face. There is no other option.
    My System:

• KrazyMofo24
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yeah getting a good build order is important, but the good thing is you can learn a lot by watching replays. Also there will always be plenty of weak players when you join a random game. Usually the "pros" will play people they already know/private games.

Build order, a good understanding of every unit is important, and scouting because you need to know what the opponent is doing to be able to counter it.

There will be build orders for rushing, expanding, teching, etc. I'm the campaign will be great too. I still never finished the original campaign.
    Setup:

• tommyboy
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yeah getting a good build order is important, but the good thing is you can learn a lot by watching replays. Also there will always be plenty of weak players when you join a random game. Usually the "pros" will play people they already know/private games.

Build order, a good understanding of every unit is important, and scouting because you need to know what the opponent is doing to be able to counter it.

There will be build orders for rushing, expanding, teching, etc. I'm the campaign will be great too. I still never finished the original campaign.

Yeah, I loved the game, but I'll admit I was terrible whenever playing others online. Even in no rush games I would think I got a decent force and still get destroyed. I end up giving up and only played with others while going against the computer (mainly cause they are so predictable).

Anyways, I still love the game for the single player and really hope my computer can handle it.
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Been playing more of the beta and the game is awesome. They constantly send out patches to balance the game. The graphics from the initial previews 2 years ago look much better. The mothership abilities were totally redone. Very good game I'm hooked playing it.
    Setup:

• tommyboy
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Been playing more of the beta and the game is awesome. They constantly send out patches to balance the game. The graphics from the initial previews 2 years ago look much better. The mothership abilities were totally redone. Very good game I'm hooked playing it.

How did you get the beta?
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I got the beta through a friend. There was a website that gave away a beta key if you pre-order the game through them. There might be similar deals if you look. He ended up getting two additional keys to invite others and that's how I got mine.

Right now it's down for about a month, and is suppose to be back up a few before the release date.
    Setup:

• tommyboy
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I know it just came out yesterday, but anyone pick it up?
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I picked it up yesterday good game just it's almost exactly like Starcraft 1. I would think 2 should have pushed more into the future. I prefer warhammer dawn of war 2 so far. Currently but that may change soon once I get some more gametime.
  • KrazyMofo24
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I picked it up yesterday, and it's great. A lot of the old units in SC1 that aren't in SC2 are in the campaign. More features I think if you were a big fan of SC1 than you'll really enjoy this game.
    Setup: