Moving back to Kentucky!

MattN03
MattN03 Posts: 558
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
That's right folks, I'm finally "escaping" from Memphis and heading back to the great Bluegrass state-Kentucky. My wife & I are from KY originally, so we're very excited about this opportunity. I have accepted a position with a Tier 1 Toyota supplier near Lexington, KY as a Design Engineer. This company supplies the interior door panels and seats for the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY. I'll be working on the door panel side, working with Toyota engineers in Ann Arbor, MI & Japan for new product releases, tooling suppliers, etc, etc. We are very excited and nervous as my wife has not found a job and is giving up a good one here in Memphis-hopefully my new job will help offset that however. The main thing to us is we're getting away from Memphis and heading home to KY.

Are there any members in the Lexington area? Any tips for packing & shipping my system? The new company is paying to relocate us, but I would feel better if I move the speakers and components myself. I still have the original boxes, so that's a plus! The sad thing is that it's all going to my parents house in KY (3 hrs from our new place) because we're going to get an apt. until we sell our house in MS, so I'll be systemless for a little while :(
Post edited by MattN03 on

Comments

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited May 2007
    Congrats on your new job and going back to your "Old Kentucky Home". I hope you and your family will prosper with this change. Good luck!

Do you have the original boxes that your equipment was packed in? If not each electronic component should be placed in a plastic bag or wrapper, surrounded with a soft but firm foam, placed in a box, then placed in another box surrounded by 2 inches or more of foam "peanuts". Double packing is the only way to go. Even if you have the original packing materials and box, I would still place these boxes inside an overpack box with foam.
    Carl

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Nice countrysides in them there rolling hills. Congrats
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    You must have found yourself a job at Trim Masters. My wife worked there several years ago (before we were married).
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    congrats! It's always nice to head home. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • MattN03
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    You must have found yourself a job at Trim Masters. My wife worked there several years ago (before we were married).

lol, I sure did! What did she do there? Did she like it?

I did save all of the original boxes, but I'm not sure if I can come up with double boxes for all the speakers. They'll be riding in my truck or in our Accord so they'll be handled with care.
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    Which plant will you be working with: Nicholasville, or Georgetown?
    My wife worked hourly at the Nicholasville plant and HATED IT!!!

She said the company simply didn't care about the employees.
    She said the company was not senstive to specific employee needs (allergies, etc). She also stated that the work was very hard (building seats) - even though she had some of the easier jobs on the production line.
    The plant was relatively clean.

Later

Ron
  • MattN03
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Which plant will you be working with: Nicholasville, or Georgetown?
    My wife worked hourly at the Nicholasville plant and HATED IT!!!

She said the company simply didn't care about the employees.
    She said the company was not senstive to specific employee needs (allergies, etc). She also stated that the work was very hard (building seats) - even though she had some of the easier jobs on the production line.
    The plant was relatively clean.

Later

Ron

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, most of the seat production has been moved to Mexico (at least at the Harrodsburg facility where I interviewed). They still do R&D on the seats there and all the door trim line is still active. I'll be at the Harrodsburg plant since that is the corporate office and all engineering comes from there from what I understand. I'll likely be visiting the other plants however. I'm encouraged that it will be a good place for me since there are 3 other Murray State University grads with similar degrees there. They have all been around for 5-7 years and have moved onto management positions.
  • rskarvan
    edited May 2007
    All hourly automotive jobs pretty much suck. I doubt Trim Masters is too much different than any other Tier 1...or, OEM for that matter.

I always thought it sounded a little perverted to work in Interior Trim. (Might be just me though).