anyone here a bimmer fanatic?

doggie750
doggie750 Posts: 1,160
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Hello Polkbros, yes I am becoming a bimmer crazy.....got a 328i sedan e46 and need to mod it......wondering if a polk bro could help me out. Interested of salvaged item; used; and new of course. Been to bmw forums (hecka too many forums to go into) and not much help, bunch of marketing from shops. Thank you ;)
Godspeed,
D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
Surrounds: RTis
2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
Post edited by doggie750 on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    I had BMW 318i back in 1986 that I bought used off a government contractor for $2000 while stationed in Germany. Great little car, it was in excellent condition and it was Garfield orange!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    I love the look of Beamers, I'd definitely get one if they were in my price range (they're not even close).

However... the disproportionate number of **** on cell phones who cut you off in them is a serious black mark.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited May 2007
    ESS Tunning offers a very complete supercharger kit (not cheap) and a few other hop-ups. Not sure what it will do to the 328i, but a few years ago I knew a guy that had a 330i just like my old one, and after the supercharger he was taking down M3's.

Of course if you have the money your best option is to trade on the new 335i and call it a day. That sucker is wicked quick right out of the box.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    I am no drag racer or any kind of super skillful drivers either. I have no engine mod to my '98 M3 as my butt was kicked big time by my insructor's '87 stock 325is in the track. I knew horsepower wasn't what I was lack of :o I followed my instructor's advise to spend the money on suspension. That indeed helped to improve my track time quite a bit. Anyhow, if you want to add a supercharger or turbo to your bimmer, your suspension is not going to hold, trust me on that. Make you the suspension is upgraded to take the extra beating as well. A couple pictures of my silver bimmer :cool: that my wife is using it for daily commute :(

Edit: I used to own a 750iL, the 12 cylinder was quite a blast to drive. It could take on almost any car on the freeway. I clocked 140+ with this beast a couple times!!

-fredv-
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    I was a BMW fan until I drove an Audi.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I was a BMW fan until I drove an Audi.

Hear Hear!!! (Although I'm still a closet M3 fan) The new Audi A5's are simply stunning! I saw one on lunch break today, and blew me away... and the way the older models (2006 and before) handle and drive, no comparison! Audi flat out ROCKS!

Fantastic choice!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    You will spend a lot of money in a short period of time playing with a BMW...One of my buddies has a M3 that is far from stock...He swears by Dinan....The advantage of Dinan, although I am sure in your situation does not apply, is that anything that is purchased and installed by an authorized Dinan center (often higher end BMW dealerships) DOES NOT void your factory warranty....Alpina is the same as well....Here is the website: http://www.dinancars.com/
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    You will spend a lot of money in a short period of time playing with a BMW...
    Also, it is addictive, and the upgrade never ends!!

-fredv-
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    The good thing that I have found about upgrading/tuning German cars is that there is a lot less crap to sift through, as far as shady companies go....There are only a few and most of them are highly regarded....Guess it is a economic thing....There are a lot of snot nosed shitheads playing with their Civics, or Japanese cars in general....Takes a little bit more $$ to get into the VW/Audi/BMW tuning realm....
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited May 2007
    I have had a few of them. 1975 2002, 1977 grey market 320i that was born with a tii engine that was surprisingly fast, 1989 325i convertible that I gave to my wife and then we had kids.

Now I drive a F150 pick up.

I still love BMW vehicles but Audi sure has upped the anti. My brother went from Audi to BMW and he loves the BMW.

I sure don't miss the $800.00 brake jobs every 20K.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • cjpre4
    cjpre4 Posts: 20
    edited May 2007
    I currently own a (E39) 2000 528i with the sport package and a 5 speed, I was looking at upgrades a couple of years back with this car as well. There is not a whole lot more to be taken out of this engine with simple bolt on parts. The cold air box may be your biggest gain with maybe 6 or 7 horsepower ( K&N web site ) although I find this rather high. Dinan has a special cold air box, exhaust and a remapping of your ( software ) computer which may give an addition of up to 15 horsepower and 16 pounds of torque but the bill will run almost $2355. I have only seen dyno specs and no 0-60 or 1/4 times or speeds. Dinan is pretty much a hate or love from the BMW field but he does have road shows almost every year to help potential buyers and answer questions.
    Some other of these BMW aftermarket guys will change your torque specs down low in order to get more top end horsepower, BMW has the (M52tu) 2.8L I6 making 80 perent of it's maximum torque at 1500 rpm and 90 percent at 2000 rpm's, I don't think you would want to change that. There is a couple of E46 websites that will give you some upgrade ideas, you can always supercharged or change out the internals but I would advise you to go get a M3 instead. The M cars from BMW are just on another level, just make sure to research before you buy.
    Good Luck