Buying cell phones off craigslist

michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anyone had luck or bad experiences buying phones off craigslist? I myself haven't had much luck with craigslist (2 of 4 deals gone bad), but are cell phones especially sketchy? I understand that someone can call in with the imei and claim it as stolen, then the provider will basically remotely brick the phone or some type of sim card blacklist.

I'm looking to buy a NIB HTC Excalibur / S621 and have been keeping an eye on craigslist. They tend to go for around 400 - 450, with the occasional one dipping to 375. I can either do a hardware upgrade through Rogers and pay nearly 350 for the phone AND renew my contract for another three years, or take the risk and get an unlocked one off Craigslist. It's tempting to pay extra for the piece of mind and go the HUP route, but it just seems like a waste when I can get it off craigslist.

Anything I should watch out for when buying a phone from craigslist?

FWIW I plan to wait until the TyTn comes to rogers in the next month so hopefully the S621 comes down in price. I want the s621 in particular because it has wi-fi so I can sync with the exchange server at work without a data plan. I could get a nokia e62 for half the price, but no wi-fi and no camera would kill a lot of the features I need / want.

Thanks.
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    Don't forget they come with free ear wax.......

that's definately a product i'd buy new.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    Don't forget they come with free ear wax.......

Someone may have to educate you on the correct way to handle a phone.... ;)

I would tend to agree, though, that you should buy them new. If you want to go craigslist / eBay, at least make sure they're NIB, and the seller has a decent rating and is willing to refund if it's "blocked" (ie stolen).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2007
    http://www.mobilebee.com/Phones-HTC-Qtek.html

Try there...all the phones are unlocked, but they are new lol. I bought a Razr v3i about a year ago and a few months ago my sister bought an SlVR L7.

Haven't had any problems at all and it's great to be able to just pop in a sim card and switch to that carrier. Plus you don't have all the **** carrier software preloaded onto your phone.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Someone may have to educate you on the correct way to handle a phone.... ;)

Thats ok, when I sell my used phones they come with free saliva....I tend to lick the microphone.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    edited May 2007
    I tried a couple off Craig's list. I found them to be like Folger's coffee.
    Good to the last drop!
    I wouldn't go that route again. A lot of "new in the box" are reconditions.
    Used ones are just as bad. My 2 cents.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    Alright thanks guys. I think I'll stick to either rogers or a site like expansys.ca (won't be ordering from sites based in the USA due to border fees but thanks for the link).

I've noticed that too. Lots of sellers claim a NIB phone when it's really a refurb or a return from their store that they're selling on the side to pocket that extra profit without the burden of having to provide a warranty. With imported items it always seems to be shady and I'm not sure that's something I want to deal with when I'm dropping five bills.