Does this make sense to anyone?

jdhdiggs
jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Venting:

One of the issues on today's ballot is on for property tax relief. It is listed on the ballot as "Property Tax Relief Act" then you vote yes or no... Sounds good right? Here's the deal: You get $480 back each year on real estate taxes BUT you have to pay a 1% income tax on your gross (not net or adjusted but gross) income.

Um, how many people/families own properties that make less than $48K/year? Anyone making more than that or doesn't own any property will have their taxes increase.

This is labelled as tax relief? WTF? :mad:

And it will probably pass because people are stupid... :rolleyes:
There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
Post edited by jdhdiggs on

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited May 2007
    [QUOTE=

Um, how many people/families own properties that make less than $48K/year? Anyone making more than that or doesn't own any property will have their taxes increase.

:[/QUOTE]

I would say none. I bet most people can't even do the math.

If you want tax relief, tax the businesses that the churches and universties own.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Venting:

One of the issues on today's ballot is on for property tax relief. It is listed on the ballot as "Property Tax Relief Act" then you vote yes or no... Sounds good right? Here's the deal: You get $480 back each year on real estate taxes BUT you have to pay a 1% income tax on your gross (not net or adjusted but gross) income.

This is labelled as tax relief? WTF? :mad:

And it will probably pass because people are stupid... :rolleyes:

Probably more ignorant than stupid, but... you're right.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    see if that gross income has anything deductible. you taliking gross income off the state return?

if there is a pension exclusion, or soc sec wages do not count in some way, then this is prop tax relief aimed at senior citizens.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »

Um, how many people/families own properties that make less than $48K/year?

I own two houses and make less than 48K a year...
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    I knew you would have an answer Lou.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    MrNightly wrote: »

:eek: Gotta love Kansas.... (that's not an insult, it just means your real estate is cheap).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    :eek: Gotta love Kansas.... (that's not an insult, it just means your real estate is cheap).

Ya, it's a great place to live... ton's of real estate for the money!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2007
    Ya, it's a great place to live... ton's of real estate for the money!

No complaints here:D
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007

Yup, you can do that out West but in the NE even podunk towns like mine are much more expensive. If I move my house to midland Texas it would be worth probably $110K, move it to Cali and it would be over a million. The point was that around here, it would be damn rough to do it, not that it couldn't be done. ;)

Lou: I think your right, it's 100% aimed at the old folks. Only problem is that they are marketing as "everyone" will get the ~$500 in relief.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    Everyone I have talked to is planning to vote no on this. I think this was just a way for Rendel to keep his promis to lower property taxes. Too bad it's just a tax shift with the possiblity of paying more taxes.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • jdhdiggs
    edited May 2007
    MSALLA wrote: »
    Everyone I have talked to is planning to vote no on this. I think this was just a way for Rendel to keep his promis to lower property taxes. Too bad it's just a tax shift with the possiblity of paying more taxes.

Good. Now if Rendel would just pull his head out and figure out that the way to lower property taxes is to lower property taxes we'd rally have something.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited May 2007
    Anymore, most tax relief ballot items are just a shell game passing the buck from one point to another. The only true way to avoid paying is to join eternity.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    You know what they say....death and taxes.

Which reminds me of a quote from Einstein, if I remember correctly:
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520