What's wrong with my computer???

13»

Comments

• fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2007
    jmwest1970 wrote: »
    Ghost is a wonderful thing, but in today's world there is a much better solution. Use RAID 1 to mirror your disk to another. That way, if there's a hardware problem you can swap the disks and you're back in business. The only downside is that it requires a newer motherboard, preferably one with SATA RAID and 2 hard drives, but it'll definitely provide peace of mind.

You can go even further and purchase a separate RAID Controller that provides RAID 5 or 10. Then you can lose a drive and keep on going with no intervention other than removing the bad drive and replacing it. If you choose this solution I recommend you convert your drives to removable trays like these.

RAID levels are great. In my home file server I run RAID 5. As for mirroring, it's great but won't save you from a virus infection or data corruption.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2007
    If your current system works for you then don't worry about it.

Honestly, my current system really doesn't suit my needs, hence the questions about home office/business applicability.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Honestly, my current system really doesn't suit my needs, hence the questions about home office/business applicability.

Memory and CPU are king. Drive space is important depending on your needs. If you multi-task alot, dual core cpu's are great.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2007
    I'd highly recommend a business machine such as the Dell Precision series for your application. I've also had very good experiences with the Dell Optiplex 745 series for business applications. Rock-solid hardware, redundancies (RAID, on-board hardware monitor, good build quality) make these PCs good for business.

On the other hand, for personal/home theater use I recommend the HP Media Center PCs. But for business you can't go wrong with a Dell Precision.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!