George gave his all....

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
to protect 5 kids from 2 pitbulls

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/nzealandanimalsoffbeat
Nine-year-old Jack Russell terrier George is being honoured with a posthumous bravery medal for saving five New Zealand children from an attack by two pitbulls.

The medal from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) comes after US Vietnam veteran Jerrell Hudman said he was sending his Purple Heart medal to George's owner after hearing of the dog's bravery.

George, who had a heart problem, won fame after defending five children from the pitbulls in the small North Island town of Manaia a week and a half ago. The two pitbulls rushed at the five children on the street, prompting George to charge the much larger dogs as the children escaped.

The Jack Russell was badly mauled by the two pitbulls and later had to be put down because of his extensive injuries. The two pitbulls were also put down.

The SPCA medal is usually awarded to people for their bravery in defending animals.

"George was a very brave little dog who almost certainly prevented severe injury, if not death, to at least one of the children," SPCA chief executive Robyn Kippenberger said.

"It's truly tragic that he paid with his own life for his instinctive act of courage."

Hudman, 58, of Austin, Texas was a US Marine for 30 years and said he decided to send his Purple Heart to George's owner Alan **** after reading the news on the Internet because the dog was "a little warrior".

The Purple Heart is awarded to those killed or injured fighting for the US military.
Post edited by Danny Tse on

Comments

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    Wow. I had read the initial story last week, and was very upset the little guy didn't make it. If only the average person had that much courage....

God bless a Marine that would send on his purple heart like that. Hopefully the children of the family will heal soon as well.

Good read, thx Danny.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited May 2007
    No problem, jflail2. I totally agree with your sentiments.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Poor little guy. If I was there I would have rushed in too.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    We have a Jack Russell at home and the dog is awesome; she is ultra kid friendly and has been attacked twice by much larger dogs while they were off leash in our neighborhood. She is one tough puppy.

Amazing story about an amazing dog. May George r.i.p.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    Small dogs like the Jack Russel and the Westie think they are much bigger than they really are....My westie passed about two months ago after a long life of 17 years, and until they day she was put down she commanded the Yellow Lab around the house, and in general life....God is the Lab lost without her....She looks for the westie in the house every morning still...My mom is going crazy trying to deal with her...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    I hate pit bulls.

There is this idiot here in the apartment complex that takes his out for a walk and he literally drags his owner around who can barely hold on to him. You can tell by the dogs behavior that he's just itching for something to charge down and kill. I have a little cat and if a dog like that ever got loose and killed my cat, Id kill not only the dog but the owner.

It should be illegal to own snakes and pit bulls. I know its not really the animals fault, theyre stupid and just doing what comes naturally but unfortunately the kinds of people that own animals like that are usually way more stupid than the animals and have no business owning them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I hate pit bulls.

There is this idiot here in the apartment complex that takes his out for a walk and he literally drags his owner around who can barely hold on to him. You can tell by the dogs behavior that he's just itching for something to charge down and kill. I have a little cat and if a dog like that ever got loose and killed my cat, Id kill not only the dog but the owner.

It should be illegal to own snakes and pit bulls. I know its not really the animals fault, theyre stupid and just doing what comes naturally but unfortunately the kinds of people that own animals like that are usually way more stupid than the animals and have no business owning them.

Dead On!

I hope little George is kicking their **** in the after world.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,437
    edited May 2007
    Dead on +1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, all pitbulls should be shot dead.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited May 2007
    Got to disagree here, people. As much as I dislike pitbulls (and bull terriers, from which they were derived), it's the owner who is first and foremost responsible for the dog's training and behaviour.

If pitbulls are so bad, they should be BANNED (and they ARE banned in Toronto). The idiot owners should be jailed for those pitbull attacks.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited May 2007
    Actually, pit bulls are banned in a lot of individual counties and cities and some states have passed preliminary legislation to ban the breed. More and more counties are banning them and for good reason IMO. You hear the same story over and over - kid is attacked by pit bull (permanently mamed or killed) and family comes on tv saying that Sparky was NEVER aggressive and that he never bit anyone. There is something in that BREED of dog. If owners being aholes were the only predictor of bad / aggressive behavior in dogs, I know plenty of labs and ****-zu's that would be ripping people's faces off.

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited May 2007
    I don't see how anyone wouldn't be touched by this story.

The article said George didn't have a good heart. On the contrary, he was ALL heart! This would prolly be about the equivalent to a 63 year old man with a weak ticker who is barely over 5' tall and 100 lbs. soaking wet jumping on 2 guys as big as Shaq to save somebody. :eek:
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited May 2007
    Small dogs like the Jack Russel and the Westie think they are much bigger than they really are....

I couldn't agree more. My dad has three Great Danes and a Jack Russell and you can rest assured, the latter rules the roost and then some:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited May 2007
    I'll be tipping a cold one for ole George tonite....may he RIP.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    Exactly what man's best friend is suppose to do.
    Will also tip a cold one to 'ol George.

For those who don't know the companionship of a good dog...
    your missing one of lifes simple pleasures.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    For those who don't know the companionship of a good dog...
    your missing one of lifes simple pleasures.

Definitely!!!

I cant wait til we get a house so I can get a dog. Before we even buy furniture Im getting a dog......well maybe after I put together a home theater. :D

I want a German Shepherd! Best dogs in the world!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    PICS!!!!!:D
    Definitely!!!

I cant wait til we get a house so I can get a dog. Before we even buy furniture Im getting a dog......well maybe after I put together a home theater. :D

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    Definitely!!!

Good choice,I have a white GS,and he's my son.Boy will I cry the day he
    goes.German shepards are also fantastic around kids,even ones they don't know.Good luck to you and get training,and socialize him as much as you can.
    They are not dogs for couch potatoes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited May 2007
    This is a great story, although very sad. As far as the opinion on pitts,you guys are way off base. I have had many dogs and many breeds. Pitts raised in a happy home are some of the best dogs to have. That shepherd Macleod wants is a smart and loyal dog but put one in the hands of a bad owner and it will make a pitt look like a kids toy. There is no bad breed. Only bad owners and bad breeding.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    Any dog will turn mean that's been abused. What needs to happen is to not only destroy the dog, but make the owner of the dog pay through the nose for all damages & ordered NOT to get ANY dog, or face jail!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • liordra
    liordra Posts: 152
    edited May 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Any dog will turn mean that's been abused. What needs to happen is to not only destroy the dog, but make the owner of the dog pay through the nose for all damages & ordered NOT to get ANY dog, or face jail!

No doubt.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2007
    Awww... poor little doggie. That brought tears to my eyes. I have two Rat Terriers and I would be distraught if anything happened to them. Here's to George!
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.