TV pop ups

sucks2beme
sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Took a vacation day today. sitting with the wife watching something on tv
(not my deal- I'd be spending time with my other loved one, the AR tube amp!) Big pop up
covering the bottom right corner. 25% of the damn screen.
It started a couple of years ago with the cable schedule channel. A little banner, then
the top part of the screen, then most of the screen.
I guess they started charging for the irritating content, so now the cable company doesn't
even have the channel listing/schedule on there any more.
Now every station feels it's good to cover the screen with ads for other shows.
Why do we tolerate this? Are we all de-sensitized from using the Internet?
:mad:
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by sucks2beme on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    First off, use Firefox with AdBlock Plus, and you'll never see ads on the internet again.

I agree about "TV Pop-ups" though. So irritating. The WORST is when they make NOISE! Sometimes enough to make you miss what was said on the show you're actually watching.

It's ridiculous.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited May 2007
    I love it when it covers critical parts of what you're watching... like subtitles, or when the important action is covered by the ad. Brilliant :rolleyes:
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    yep..I started noticing that too...What's even worse is when you are trying to watch your favorite show once a week and a weather related warning pops up. The storm could be 200 miles away but the channel feels it is necessary to alot 1/3rd of the left side of the screen with the words "severe weather alert"....the whole bottom left corner showing a radar screen and another few inches on the bottom that scrolls the announcement..

not only that, but the sound goes in and out the whole time because it is switching from Dolby to analog sound during the warning...

Then it stays like that for 10 minutes...

We love our weather in MN..:rolleyes:
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    On a related note, when we went to see Spiderman 3 last weekend, we were treated to a good 15 minutes of commercials! So let me get this straight - we pay $9 per ticket to get in, $5 for a coke and $5 for a popcorn but the theater still cant get by without taking an additional 15 minutes of time to run Dove soap and ReMax realty commercials??

There has to be a point where we revolt. There are more commercials on tv than shows now! Just flip around the channels and count how many of them are actually showing a program and how many have a commercial running.

Theyre actually editing out scenes from older shows in order to show more commercials. I can watch old Miami Vice or NYPD Blue re-runs and there will be several scenes missing from each episode.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited May 2007
    MacLeod wrote: »
    There are more commercials on tv than shows now!

Yep, which is why I don't think I'll ever get rid of my DVR now that I'm hooked on watching TV without commecials. I almost can't stand to watch live TV anymore.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    PhantomOG wrote: »
    Yep, which is why I don't think I'll ever get rid of my DVR now that I'm hooked on watching TV without commecials. I almost can't stand to watch live TV anymore.

+1000. Of course, sooner rather than later the stations will try and limit that capability too. As soon as more people start realizing how great DVRs are and can skip over commercials, it'll all change.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    This is one of the main reasons why I no longer go to the movies! Add in obnoxious people talking all over the film = one very pissed off me who wants her money back!:mad:

MacLeod wrote: »
    On a related note, when we went to see Spiderman 3 last weekend, we were treated to a good 15 minutes of commercials! So let me get this straight - we pay $9 per ticket to get in, $5 for a coke and $5 for a popcorn but the theater still cant get by without taking an additional 15 minutes of time to run Dove soap and ReMax realty commercials??
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited May 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    This is one of the main reasons why I no longer go to the movies! Add in obnoxious people talking all over the film = one very pissed of me who wants her money back!:mad:
    Last movie i was at was in 1984 -85?

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D