Atkins lowered my cholesterol

PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
I've got high cholesterol. I originally had a total score of 270. My Dr. scared me away from eating my beloved bacon cheeseburgers and I joined a gym. This only got my cholesterol down to 263. So then I basically went against the conventional wisdom and did the Atkins diet for three months.

Before:
Total Cholesterol: 263
HDL: 43
LDL: 202
Triglycerides: 88

After 3 months of Atkins:
Total Cholesterol: 226
HDL: 51
LDL: 162
Triglycerides: 64

My typical daily meals on Atkins:

Breakfast:
2 eggs over hard and a grilled slice of ham, sometimes with hash browns

Lunch:
Large Salad (1.2-1.4lbs) – lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cheese, red/green/yellow peppers, sunflower seeds, regular ranch dressing

Dinner:
SuperSonic double cheeseburger with no buns.

Thanks Dr. Atkins! RIP

I'm going to keep at it, til my total is below 200.

PT
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    It is very true. My friend was on Atkins and his cholesterol went down to good. He got off Atkins and it went backup. Stopped eating eggs for breakfest and started eating oatmeal only to see it go up. Go figure?
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited May 2007
    Major source of Cholesterol is Carbs. Cut the carbs and it would go down. The hey with Atkins diet is that you have to cut the carbs out almost totally form your diet.

Basically you are eating high calorie diet based on proteins and fat. Slightest bit of carbs in the diet become the sole source for cholesterol.

I gave up Atkins after I couldn't keep my carbs down to accepted levels for sustained period of time.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    While I don't doubt that they work, I question the validity of a lot of those diets. I went on South Beach, which is basically Atkins minus fried foods, and it worked, but I don't think the reason it worked was because of its special formula and focus on carbs, but just because, like any very specific diet plan, it forces you to really watch what you eat. If you just say "I'm gonna eat better", but don't have a plan, you don't really watch exactly what you eat, you just cut back on some things and it does nothing. When you get on a plan like Atkins, you think about every single meal, an dsince sugar is a carb, you give up on candy and sweets.... I mean, is it any surprise these things work?

Anyway, glad to hear of your success PT. I was lucky in the cholesterol department - my family has a history of this disease that basically inhibits your body's ability to fight cholesterol. My mother's cholesterol before taking medication was in the 400's, my brother peaked near SIX hundred. I've hovered around 200 all my life.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    keep up the good work PT and everyone else.. get that cholesterol down under 200.

My doctor wanted to have mine checked just recently.. and it's 127 :D he and I both did the happy dance. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited May 2007
    engtaz wrote: »
    It is very true. My friend was on Atkins and his cholesterol went down to good. He got off Atkins and it went backup. Stopped eating eggs for breakfest and started eating oatmeal only to see it go up. Go figure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesterol

Biosynthesis of cholesterol is directly regulated by the cholesterol levels present, though the homeostatic mechanisms involved are only partly understood. A higher intake from food leads to a net decrease in endogenous production, while lower intake from food has the opposite effect. The main regulatory mechanism is the sensing of intracellular cholesterol in the endoplasmic reticulum by the protein SREBP (Sterol Regulatory Element Binding Protein 1 and 2). In the presence of cholesterol, SREBP is bound to two other proteins: SCAP (SREBP-cleavage activating protein) and Insig1. When cholesterol levels fall, Insig-1 dissociates from the SREBP-SCAP complex, allowing the complex to migrate to the Golgi apparatus, where SREBP is cleaved by S1P and S2P (site 1/2 protease), two enzymes that are activated by SCAP when cholesterol levels are low. The cleaved SREBP then migrates to the nucleus and acts as a transcription factor to bind to the SRE (sterol regulatory element) of a number of genes to stimulate their transcription. Among the genes transcribed are the LDL receptor and HMG-CoA reductase. The former scavenges circulating LDL from the bloodstream, whereas HMG-CoA reductase leads to an increase of endogenous production of cholesterol.[3]

A large part of this mechanism was clarified by Dr Michael S. Brown and Dr Joseph L. Goldstein in the 1970s. They received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their work in 1985.[3]

The average amount of blood cholesterol varies with age, typically rising gradually until one is about 60 years old. There appear to be seasonal variations in cholesterol levels in humans, more, on average, in winter.[4]

Basically, what it is saying is that if there is more cholesterol present, the body drops in production of cholesterol. High cholestrol foods will have more content so the body slows down sythesis.
    Cholesterol is found in animal fats: all food containing animal fats contains cholesterol; food not containing animal fats contains no cholesterol or negligible amounts. Major dietary sources of cholesterol include eggs, beef and poultry.[7]

Plants have trace amounts of cholesterol, so even a vegan diet, which includes no animal foods, has traces of cholesterol. However, the amounts are very small. For example, the amount of cholesterol in one egg is approximately equal to the amount in 9.6 litres (19.57 pounds) of pure peanut oil.[6][8]

Plant products (e.g. flax seed, peanut), also contain cholesterol-like compounds, phytosterols, which are suggested to help lower serum cholesterol.[9]

Because your buddy was eating eggs and such for breakfast, he was taking in more cholesterol. The body didn't have to make so much. When he stopped, his count went up because the body had to make it itself. The body makes both kinds of cholesterol and it will make all counts go up artificially until the body regulates itself to a more normal level. Your body needs cholesterol to work properly. Things like your liver, digestive system, nervous system including the brain and spinal cord and several glandular systems won't work right without cholesterol. When your intake changes drastically enough, the body overcompensates to make up for the definciency. It will eventually regulate itself back down.

Like bobman though, my family has a history of cholesterol problems...along with heart disease and cancer. It helps to know what is going on before going all chicken-little and start running from the falling sky. Then again, we don't know as much as we would like to think we know about cholesterol. It's still a largely unknown thing and who knows; in a few years, scientists may say that we got it all wrong and things aren't as bad as we thought they were. Still, a healthy diet, exercise and low stress levels will do more for you than any fad diet. Most doctors I know don't like the Atkins and South Beach diets because of many reasons that stem from the elimination of carbs and the havoc they cause to your metabolism. If anyone wants to approach these kinds of diets, talk to your doctor first. They will either give you a better alternative or give you a schedule to reduce the risks as much as possible.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    I did atkins for close to a year. keep in mind that it can be brutal on your liver. My liver enzymes are occasionaly slightly elevated now. I get it checked yearly, luckily no major problems, but my career on atkins is over. not saying its bad, it definitly made me shed pounds, but just keep it in mind.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007
    izafar wrote: »
    Major source of Cholesterol is Carbs.

Carbohydrates are not a source of cholesterol.

wiki:
    "Cholesterol is found in animal fats: all food containing animal fats contains cholesterol; food not containing animal fats contains no cholesterol or negligible amounts. Major dietary sources of cholesterol include eggs, beef and poultry.[7]

Plants have trace amounts of cholesterol, so even a vegan diet, which includes no animal foods, has traces of cholesterol. However, the amounts are very small. For example, the amount of cholesterol in one egg is approximately equal to the amount in 9.6 litres (19.57 pounds) of pure peanut oil"
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 819
    edited May 2007
    Carbs are not the direct source of cholesterol, but provide the building blocks that our bodies use to generate the cholesterol. Cholesterol found in animal fat doesn't need to go through major transformation to be in the blood stream, but at the same time, for most of the people, dietary cholesterol doesn't get digested and most of it is passed out of our system, with very little getting into our bloodstream.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    Thuggy, I've been on Atkins for quite a while and although it will lower your your numbers, I've found a much much better way and it works like a miracle better than any medication or combo meds with Atkins.

I tried it out more than a few months ago and it really works. You but pin head aka Irish or Scotish, aka steel cut oats.

You eat two servings with a cup of blueberries every morning for two months and I am telling you your numbers will go down well below 170. Your LDL will go way down and your HDL will rise. Triglycerides will also be considerably lower.

The reason I had to stop is because I am a carb addict, and can't control my intake of breads, pastas and the like. So I stay on Atkins. I started it again January 2nd and it is not working as well for me this time as far as weight loss is concerned. I've only lost about 20 to 25 lbs. where in the past I would have lost at least 50 to 60 by now.

Age, medications, lower activity level all are the culprits here but my blood work is good so I stay on it. But if you are not a carb addict, I'm telling you your blood work with the oatmeal will blow you away.

If you decide to go that route, I have a recipe for making it that is absolutely delicious.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited May 2007
    "If you decide to go that route, I have a recipe for making it that is absolutely delicious."

My wife and I tried Atkins a couple of years ago. We lost weight but just couldn't stay away from the carbs as strictly as that diet required. We both have elevated cholesterol levels. Would love to try your recipe. Thanks
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited May 2007
    I had a blood test taken before my recent sinus surgery. The test was done at the last moment WITHOUT having fasted and right in the middle of a bad sinus infection with swollen tonsels.

The day of the surgery they said my cholesterol was 206 as well as elevated white blood cell count. I told them...no DUH! The blood test was done at the worst time and certainly would give those results. The white blood cell count is due to the sinus infection and my body trying to fight it off.

I'm going to hit the diet and training hard now that I'm healthy, then see about another blood test when all conditions are right. I'm willing to bet it will be much different!

Good luck everyone! Those carbs are tough to kick!

John
    No excuses!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    I don't have time to read this all right now, but there had better not be any junk science in any of these posts.

Keep the cholesterol down. No one wants to be a big drooling burden on their spouse/children someday.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I don't have time to read this all right now, but there had better not be any junk science in any of these posts.

Keep the cholesterol down. No one wants to be a big drooling burden on their spouse/children someday.

I'm telling you this oatmeal thing is good science, I wouldn't BS about something so critical. Besides I know you're lurking in the shadows waiting to bust BS medical advise!!! LOL

Lots of soluble and insoluble fiber plus the blueberries have the greatest punch of antioxidants of all the fruits and veggies.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2007
    I just changed my eating habits and worked out at the gym, no diets of any kind. In the process I lost 25 lbs. and my cholesterol went from 240 to 173.

I saw my neighbors go on and off Atkins, their weight went up and down along with that. Diets are a short term fix. Once you go off, you'll most likely put back on what you lost.

Everything is good in moderation. Change your eating habits for life and exercise, works better then any diet you can come up with.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited May 2007
    Ron-P,

The thing about the Atkins Diet is that if you decide to go that way, you have to have the attitude that it is not a diet, it is a lifelong eating habit change. Once you start reaching your goal on the Atkins, you should add carbs to your diet until you discover your threshold. By not ever eating past your threshold, you can literally stay on this eating regime for life and maintain the body you want.

Most people, and it sounds like your neighbors too, use the Atkins as a short fix and then splurge thus gaining all their weight back. Atkins should be used as a way to teach you to limit your carb intake and basically set up good eating habits for life.

Bottom line is that all of our bodies are different. Some of us cannot intake the same amount of food or types of food as others and stay the same size. It takes a diet that works for your body and exercise to keep the blood pumping.

Good luck on your quest to health!
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • engtaz
    edited May 2007
    Very well put Holydoc.
    engtaz

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    My biggest problem wtih Atkins is they actually discourage eating of fruits because of the sugar content. It's FRUIT. You know you're over analyzing your food intake if you're discouraging fruit.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • engtaz
    edited May 2007
    Do the miami one then. I think it puts fruit into the diet. It's a version of the Atkins.
    engtaz

• hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    My biggest problem wtih Atkins is they actually discourage eating of fruits because of the sugar content. It's FRUIT. You know you're over analyzing your food intake if you're discouraging fruit.

Atkins only discourages fruit in the induction phase of the diet. Once you determine your carb threshold you then begin to introduce fruit back into your diet. The natural sugar in fruit is not what Atkins was trying to get rid of. Processed sugar, bleached flour, etc.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »

and thats the problem with these types of diets. People are more obsessed with being skinny then being healthy.

Limit your sweets(and soft drinks!, a lot of people lose a lot of weight just by not drinking pop/soda) and fried food to a minimun, and eat a variety of foods. and ready for this ... EXERCISE!(more than just walking, that does nothing, you need to get your heart rate up)
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    tommyboy wrote: »
    and thats the problem with these types of diets. People are more obsessed with being skinny then being healthy.

Limit your sweets(and soft drinks!, a lot of people lose a lot of weight just by not drinking pop/soda) and fried food to a minimun, and eat a variety of foods. and ready for this ... EXERCISE!(more than just walking, that does nothing, you need to get your heart rate up)

I agree with your exercise statement. However, Atkins is not your usual diet. It is not a short term solution, it is a new lifestyle.

The problem with people and this diet is they don't read his book and website and learn the actual diet and lifestyle change. They go right to the induction phase of the diet and stop learning there.

Atkins not only recommends various foods and a balance diet after the induction phase, he strongly recommends exercise. In actuality, the induction phase of the diet; 1. gets you through the carb withdrawl phase, and 2. dumps the excess water your body is holding because of the "hydrate" part of carbohydrate.

Once you get past the induction phase which is actually supposed to be from 2 weeks to a month, then you start to incorporate carbs back into your diet but only the healthy carbs 5 grams at a time per week until you stop loosing weight. At that point you know where your body natuarally burns off or stores the carbs as fat. Mine 10 years ago was 120 grams per day. Now, without exercise mind you, is 60 grams per day. If I go above 60 I start to store fat. When I go lower than 60 I start to loose weight. If I go way lower than 60 I loose weight faster.

That is Atkins diet in a nutshell.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited May 2007
    I agree. Atkins/South Beach are lifestyle changes.
    I agree. Part of the success are due to being aware of what you put in your mouth.

I did South Beach and lost 25 lbs in 4 weeks. I also switched from 4 Cokes a day to 1-2 Diet Cokes. Not sure which one did the trick but I am much more aware and more selective of what I now eat. I've only gained 5-6 lbs back ever since (about 17 months).

Started exercising after I went to stage III (maintenance). I yo-yo on the exercise part.

YMMV. Good luck.
  • tommyboy
    edited May 2007

I did South Beach and lost 25 lbs in 4 weeks. I also switched from 4 Cokes a day to 1-2 Diet Cokes. Not sure which one did the trick but I am much more aware and more selective of what I now eat. I've only gained 5-6 lbs back ever since (about 17 months).

Started exercising after I went to stage III (maintenance). I yo-yo on the exercise part.

4 cokes a day:eek: , your teeth must be brown;)

Who knows, maybe those few pounds you gained back was some muscle from exercising... Just remember, your goal shouldn't be lose as much weight as possible. If you want to do that, then don't eat or exercise. You will lose the fat and all your muscle ;) You want to eat right and use this nutrition to built up your body (mix of lifting and cardio).

It seems like a lot of people who lost a lot of weight just by eating better(like 50 lbs or more) look more sickly to me then before. Their skin hangs, and have absolutely no muscular shape, (and some suffer from mal-nutrition just cause they are afraid of eating). Thats why they must incorporate exercise to their plan. Yes, you can lose a lot of weight just by eating right, but you still look just as bad as you did before, at least to me:p
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited May 2007
    All of these diets: Adkins, South Beach, etc. are just that...diets, which connotates a short term fix, not a lifestyle change. 18 months ago, I gave up fried foods, sugary sodas, and I eat 6 times a day, every 3 hours and have a complex carb and a lean protein at every meal, i.e. a balanced meal. It is not a diet, it is a way of life. I measure all the food I eat and only switch around my foods to keep things interesting. I eat about 50% of my calories from carbs. This idea that carbs. are bad for you is silly. The result of all of this effort, I lost 62 pounds, and my cholesterol went from 203 to 114! I also work out 5 to 6 times a week as well. Give up these fad diets and just eat a balanced meal without any processed foods. If you get to the gym as well, you'll be amazed what you can accomplish.
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    All of these diets: Adkins, South Beach, etc. are just that...diets, which connotates a short term fix, not a lifestyle change.

That is incorrect at least the Atkins part. I can't discuss the South Beach diet cause I have no experience with it. Atkins is a lifestyle change. Have you read his book(s) on the subject at all? A diet is the way and what you eat. The meaning of the word has changed, e.g. "I'm going on a diet". The word has changed in meaning to describe weight loss rather than something you do on a daily basis for sustenance.

The way you eat, the way you described what you eat is your daily diet.
  • pmckeealaska
    pmckeealaska Posts: 808
    edited May 2007
    The definition of diet may have changed, but in this country is still means temporary of else we wouldnt be a nation of fat asses. Most people who go "on a diet" do it for a few months at most. I understand the definition in the strictest sense, but from an american perspective, it definately means "short term".
    Music and Movie Rig

Samsung 40" HDTV 1080p
    LSi25 Front Speakers
    LSiC Center Channel
    LSiFX Surrounds
    Rotel RB 1080 2-Channel Amp
    NAD T763 Reciever
    Denon DVD 2900 Universal Player

Audiosource 10 Band Digital Equalizer
    Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables
    Audioquest Sub-X subwoofer cables
    Audioquest King Cobra Interconnects

Monster AVS 2000 Voltage Stabilizer
    Playstation 3 120GB Slim
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    The definition of diet may have changed, but in this country is still means temporary of else we wouldnt be a nation of fat asses. Most people who go "on a diet" do it for a few months at most. I understand the definition in the strictest sense, but from an american perspective, it definately means "short term".

That is true. What I am trying to get across to you is that if you read Dr. Atkins book, it is all about a permanent lifestyle change. People use if for a quick loss of weight and then jump off. That is bad. If you keep to the lifestyle, and I admit to using it as a short term fix too, your blood levels become excellant and you get very healthy and as I wrote in a previous post, Atkins strongly recommended exercise along with this "diet."

I used to go to the gym five days a week mixed with the Atkins diet. I felt wonderful, full of energy, never caught cold or got sick at all, my blood pressure and blood work counts were always excellant and my spiritual condition was excellant as well. What happened?, the same thing that always happens to most people, my priorities changed and screwed up my regimen. Now I have to work harder to get back on track. My fault for not being vigilant in that regard. I got back on Atkins, I pray regularly and I started walking and lifting light weights. I doubt I'll ever get back to where I was a year ago but I can get close.
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2007
    Thanks joe, I'll check out the oats. Somebody also told me to eat pistachios.

I think I've turned the corner to a true lifestyle change, I don't think twice about pitching the buns from my Arby's sandwiches into the trash. :)

I'm able to maintain this weight without working out at all, however, I think I'll be headed back to the gym to trim up a little more and do a little strength conditioning.

A guy I work with is also on Atkins and his LDL dropped too.

Conspiracy Theory: "Bad advice concerning cholesterol control is perpetuated to get us all on cholesterol drugs for the financial gain of doctors and drug companies." :D
  • tommyboy
    edited May 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »

I'm able to maintain this weight without working out at all, however, I think I'll be headed back to the gym to trim up a little more and do a little strength conditioning.

Good for you but the reason you are not gaining any weight is because the calories you are eating are being burned off just by everyday activities. If you keep with your good eating habits and start exercising, you will actually use your protein and nutrients to build some muscle instead of crapping it out;)

But you have to know the biggest rule in exercise(well, and with a diet) is consistency. If you start working out a the gym, you have to keep doing it. Don't just work out to where you like to be then stop. You will turn into your old self quicker than you think.