Started a new business and have some Q's

disneyjoe7
disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Sorry maybe I should know but before it comes up what do you think my best avenue will be. I sell a device that will control a C-Band 4DTV receiver to a DVR Tivo or Replaytv recorder. Ok so sales are a bit slow but just started last week and I'm getting some serious traffic from countries outside of the US. If C-band worked and they could get a DirecTV, Dishnet, or this special California based MetaConnect channel data bases into their DVR recorder I don't see why this wouldn't work. The countries among others are Canada, Mexico, Barbados, Venezuela, some visitors and a few of them are pulling some bandwidth so I know they are looking. A few others are maybe just bad links nothing to speak of in bandwidth where Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Panama, Bahamas, Finland, Morocco.

Ok so I know my 48 state thing isn't going to work here.

www.dvrblackbox.com

Speakers
Carver Amazing Fronts
CS400i Center
RT800i's Rears
Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
Parasound Halo A23
Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
Pioneer 79Avi DVD
Sony CX400 CD changer
Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

Post edited by disneyjoe7 on

Comments

• disneyjoe7
    edited May 2007
    My 48 state shipping thing, I'm going to need shipper A for some shipper B for others? Who would be best for whom?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Search out prices on ups,fedex and dhl. make up a weight and dimensions for a package, look up a postal code and price it out online, it's a place to start

Later,
    dude
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    Make friends with a rep from one of the shipping companies. They might be able to cut you a deal on rates depending on how much you spend / ship a month. OCS was able to cut the price to about 50 / 75% of the normal price for my work because we ship about three items a week (small 2lb boxes too).
  • bradm6406
    bradm6406 Posts: 39
    edited May 2007
    Being from Canada, and having bought a fair number of things from the US I can tell you that UPS is horrible to ship things to Canada. Their brokerage fees are outrageous. They're actually getting sued in a class action lawsuit here because of their brokerage fees.

I think Fed-Ex is almost as bad.

If I buy something from the US I always try to get it shipped USPS. It may cost a couple of dollars more, but the brokerage fees are at least reasonable (usually only $5 - $10 I think).

Good luck!

Brad
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    I second the USPS option. UPS and Fed-EX are over priced and the service is terrible. Things are slow and I have lost items via both of these services. I have purchased over 200 items from the USA and never had a problem with USPS. For my location it is a little slow (hell look where I live), but at least it arrives safe and sound.

I would be interested in learning a little more about your product as I live in a HUGE area are where the majority of the operating area is non-terrestrial.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • disneyjoe7
    edited May 2007
    Ok thanks Brad I knew Canada was odd, so I at least Mexico is the same for USPS which I use know have an account with them. I have to stock some plain boxes for shipping as the one's I use now are USPS marked Priority Mail.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited May 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    I would be interested in learning a little more about your product as I live in a HUGE area are where the majority of the operating area is non-terrestrial.

Do you use a BUD Big Ugly Dish? This workes between a modern tapeless recorder and BUD, supporting something that nobody wish to do on their own. ;) I'm the leader in this field. www.dvrblackbox.com

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• janmike
    edited May 2007
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Ok thanks Brad I knew Canada was odd, so I at least Mexico is the same for USPS which I use know have an account with them. I have to stock some plain boxes for shipping as the one's I use now are USPS marked Priority Mail.

Where not ODD, just better.

Personally I am in a terrestrial area and was thinking of our other areas.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • disneyjoe7
    edited May 2007
    Sorry Odd was a bad / funny term on my end. All I can say other then California, Texas Canada comes up a lot on that site so at lease my thinking there's a lot of C-bander's around those parts of the world.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• janmike
    edited May 2007
    Tons.
    As well as KU and KA band.
    PS - I work in the telecommunications industry.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • disneyjoe7
    edited May 2007
    Thanks this explains the heavy traffic I'm getting. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer