Amp Deal of the Century Kharma

hearingimpared
hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Okay, I saw Madmax's thread on "Amp Deal of the Century" and have been in a tweaking, tinkering mood lately (really I have a severe case of upgraditis and am trying to fend it off with said tasky things) and thought I would buy one and get it ready for a bedroom or office rig. Well I have so much new vinyl that I can't keep up with the preparation of the LPs and other much bigger projects slated which I won't bore you with right now.

Here's the Kharma, the Radio Shack thinga ma gig brand new in the box never opened.

Prerequisites:

1. 50 participatory posts, no half assed reply posts.

2. tell me what used stereo amplifier you would buy if you had $3000 put aside for one.

3. If you are a vinyl guy like me tell me what used phono preamp you would buy with $1500.

4. What you are planning to do with the "Amp Deal of the Century."

5. Please say in if you are.

I'll have my son pick the winner Sunday night at 8:00.
Post edited by hearingimpared on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2007
    Sweet karma! Way to go Joe!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited May 2007
    I'd take the first $15 and put it towards the amp and use it to drive my rears. The rest I'd say I'd use to take care of my kids, buy them stuff that they need or could use to make their life better. When you have kids I couldn't see myself spending that much cash on gear when I could use it for them.
    They always come first. New bike,glove,football,first car,save for college or whatever. I would do anything for my little girl(12 yrs. old). Her happiness and needs come before mine.
    But, if I had to.............I really enjoy listening to my neighbors NAD setup so I'd probably go that route.

Dave:)
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    daboyz wrote: »
    I'd take the first $15 and put it towards the amp and use it to drive my rears. The rest I'd say I'd use to take care of my kids, buy them stuff that they need or could use to make their life better. When you have kids I couldn't see myself spending that much cash on gear when I could use it for them.
    They always come first. New bike,glove,football,first car,save for college or whatever. I would do anything for my little girl(12 yrs. old). Her happiness and needs come before mine.
    But, if I had to.............I really enjoy listening to my neighbors NAD setup so I'd probably go that route.

Dave:)

Dave are you in?
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited May 2007
    I wanted to pick one of those up, but I can't find one locally so I'd like in on this please!

1. A lot of my posts are half-assed, but I've been around since the "old" forum so surely I've amassed 50 that count.

2. I'm not really in the market for an amp. I use a Sunfire 300x2. If I had extra money, I've always thought I'd like to have the Signature 600x2 model, and could pick one of those up for less than $3K.... But I don't really need it. My amp's up the the level of my other gear. Maybe a nice tube amp or amps..

3. I own a reasonable collection of vinyl, but no vinyl rig at this time. I've got an old RS turntable, and a Pioneer table, when I want to hook them up I use the phono pre in my Carver C-1.

4. I'd use the little amp to drive a pair of speakers at work. I listen to music off the computer a lot and would enjoy some better speakers.

Thanks!
    Jason
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    Inski,

1. Amp, probably something from the CJ Premier series (used)
    2. The Sutherland that everyone keeps raving about...
    3. Garage duty more than likely with a strong eye on taking it on my next trip to the desert.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    I would need advice on a $3000 amp which is way outta my league
    I do a lot of expiramenting. a small amp makes it easy to check paramenters of differenet speakers
    I am just getting into vinyl (outlaw 990 pre)
    In Please
    Thanks Joe
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    In please. Great karma!

2. This is a tough one... there's such a large variety of amps available in this price range. I'd at least demo these (all probably closer to 2k used):
    Classe 300
    Ayre v-3x
    McCormack DNA225
    Krell KSA-250
    BAT VK200
    Bryston 4bsst

3. Not a vinyl guy...

4. Monitor 7b's + amp + *maybe* channel islands passive pre ~~ for the second home (mom's house ;) ) or a computer rig. Maybe switch out the 7b's for my voigt pipes and see how I like it.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited May 2007
    1. not sure if I have 50 worthwhile posts. Will 100 worthless posts do?:D

2. Some nicer tube amp. perhaps a VTL

3.not a vinyl guy

4. nothing. I have amps up the wazoo

5. No im not in. But I want to say Nice kharma Joe

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    1. I have been called a post ho
    2. Sunfire (my first quality audio is/was Carver) or tube amp
    3. A good guy on this forum is going to send me a turntable. I have a crateful of albums and I want my 3 kids to know vinyl plus I love the sound and one Like DarqueKnight's
    4. Make it into a tube amp so I can get into tubes the DIY way.
    5. Count me in!!!!
    Karma for you
    Thanks
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    2. tell me what used stereo amplifier you would buy if you had $3000 put aside for one.

>>> Krell FPB 600 (preferably). If not any of the Krell FPB's will do.

3. If you are a vinyl guy like me tell me what used phono preamp you would buy with $1500.

>>> I'm not a vinyl guy. Born too late - I guess.

>>> Use it to power a nice set of computer speakers. I hate the little ones that came with the Dell.

>>> In please. And, I hope some positive Karma returns to you x3.
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited May 2007
    In please.

Used amplifier - Pass Lab x250.5 if you can find them.
    Phone stage - Pass Lab - xono
    Mainly because I'm a fan of Nelson Pass.

I'd use the amp for the den. Probably with a set of diy speakers eventually.

Nice karma.

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited May 2007
    1. At least 50 participatory posts.

2. Cayin A-100T Integrated Tube Amplifier 50+50 Watts (I don't know much about these, but price is right)

3. Audio Research SP9 MKIII (Again, I don't know much about these, but price is right)

4. Would use the amp for an office setup.

5. In please.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    1. 50 participatory posts, no half assed reply posts.

I put my full **** into each and every post.

Manley designer series, hopefully one of the later 300+ watt ones or a large old VTL.

Probably another Acoustech at that price.

Toss it off a building to see if it still worked.

I'm not in but GREAT karma!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    The winner picked out of an Philly Eagles hat is:

Well I don't know yet cause, daboyz never replied to my question as to wheter he was in and he was picked first:

Dave if you were in please PM me you name, and addy.

IF DAVE (daboyz) ISN'T THE WINNER, NEXT PULLED OUT OF THE HAT IS:

APC, Hey "Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend. " please PM me your addy!

That big thumb belongs to my ten year, Joey!
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited May 2007
    Congrats to whoever won lol:D And good on you joe for the kharma.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Congrat to the winner
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Dave you have a PM.

IGnore the PM Dave, try to get back to me by tomorrow night.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Tony, apc, wanted to give Dave more of a fair shake to contact me so Dave, if you were in please get back to me by tomorrow night.

You are a good guy Tony!!!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited May 2007
    Thanks so much for the wait, I lost my mother to cancer almost two years ago so this day is a bittersweet day for myself and the sibs. Please thank Joey for picking me!!

Dave
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    daboyz

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tony you are a stand up guy. . . Dave congrats.

PM sent.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Dave, I shipped the amp today with the Stereophile mag. See PM for tracking.

Joe