Regret

fatchowmein
fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Not about speakers, subs, amps, players, SACD, or 1080P's. Sometimes, we get busy with our lives, our families, our jobs, and our hobbies that we don't complete all the things we intended to do. We let things slide or simmer in the back burner or move them to "Someday I'll".

Today, I buried a friend, not one of my inner circle of confidants but one of those work buddies I've been meaning to spend more time with, somebody who was always one of the guys but due to changes in job and marital status, I no longer saw on a regular basis except for lunch every now and then. So I lost touch a bit and never learned he was terribly unhappy and had become severely withdrawn.

Today, as I look at the large crowd of family and friends gathered to grieve for their son/brother/father/friend who in the end lost hope and gave up on life, I can't stop thinking what if one of us had made that extra phone call. Would it have made a difference? Could I have made a difference?

Gonna miss ya, John.
Post edited by fatchowmein on

Comments

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,337
    edited May 2007
    I doubt it. I think this is why.

Quote. Today, as I look at the large crowd of family and friends gathered.

It appears that he had lots of family and friends that were even closer than you two were, so I doubt it was due to a lack of people that cared about him.

Severe depression is a mental health issue, due mainly to a chemical imbalance that leaves the effected party without hope or happiness.

Unless he would have listened to you and sought help nothing else you could have done or said to him would have mattered.

My deepest sympathies.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    My condolances brother. These stories really hit home with me.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,668
    edited May 2007
    Snow's got it right: he apparently he had a close circle of friends and family whom he either chose not to confide in, or whose help wasn't enough.

Doubt you could have made a difference.

If you're at all close to those people, the thing to do now would be to let them know you're there for them if they need you. As much as you're hurting and questioning yourself, they must be 10 times worse.

And God rest your friend's soul; he's already spent his time in Hell.
    Sal Palooza
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to hear.
    My condolences.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    It's always hard on those we leave behind. Second guessing won't do you any good. We're all here for a short time and no one really knows when their time will be. Do the best you can each day but also allow some free time each day too. Condolences for the loss of your friend John.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    sory about the loss of your friend.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    sorry for your loss..

but I think one person can make a difference.. lonliness can be very depressing if that's what he suffered from. but really.. how much effort does it take to call someone you haven't heard from in a while?

I think we can all find 10 mins in our lives to call someone.. i am guilty of it too.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to hear about your friend. I have had those same thoughts many times over the years. The end result, sadly to say, would probably be the same.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    Condolences.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to hear that :(
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2007
    Condolences..sorry.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    I'm sorry to hear about that man....Don't blame yourself, some people attempt that for attention....Some are serious about it, and that is a shame...One thing I have learned through a couple of different situations is that once people are committed to doing this, there is very little you can do to stop them. It's a shame that happened...Don't look back and say to yourself "Wow, I noticed this or that but thought it was no big deal..." hindsight is always 20/20...Just remember the good times man, and what you saw in hindsight...You may be able to help someone else down the road...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to hear that man. Deep depression is a very difficult thing to "help" with. I had a very close friend commit suicide 2 years ago after he and his wife were involved in a bad car accident that took her life. He just couldn't go on without her, plain & simple---I respect that, she was the love of his life.

I often asked myself if I should have called him more often after the accident, stopped by more often, etc, etc...

Drop that bag of bricks. Sure, it's good to be there for friends, but you also have a responsiblity to your family, life, etc. Rest easy.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing you could do, just the way it is.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • bionicmushroom
    bionicmushroom Posts: 73
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to hear about your loss bro. When I was alot younger I was out partying with a friend and he decided to go into town and at the last minute I decided to go home and get some sleep so he dropped me off. Later that night he was in an accident and died. Everyone was calling my house because they thought I was with him as usual but this time I wasnt. I often wondered if I was with him if there would have been anything at all I could have done. In the end the answer is no. We both would have probally lost our lives that night. Even though we were really close friends I finally realized that he probally wouldnt have listened to me, his mind was made up and he paid the ultimate price. You never actually fully know someone is what I figure. You cant gaurentee what any certain person will do when put into the right position.
    AVR: Onkyo TX-SR604/s
    Front: Polk Rt1000i
    Center: Polk CS400i
    Surround: Polk FX500i
    Subwoofer: Polk PSW110
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited May 2007
    Man I'm so sorry to hear that.

one of my closest life long friends took the same path March 16th 05. several of us had the opportunity to go over and talk to him the night before when we knew he was depressed but ended up not going for whatever reason. the next few weeks and months were some of the darkest days of my life.

But here's what we learned about suicide ***please, everyone listen in case you're in this position one day*** my friend was not the depressed type at all. He was always fun and full of life and had so much going for him. The problems started only a few days before hand. He just had several thoughts about work that all of a sudden became obsessive. Pay attention to people who have odd/sudden changes in behavior no matter how much you think they would never take their life. I'm serious, he was the last person we thought could ever do such a thing. And often it's the people who don't talk about it that end up really doing it.

Like other's have said, hind sight is 20/20 so you can't blame yourself. Remember the good times with your friend and try to help others learn the warning signs.

Daniel
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Sorry to hear of your loss, hang in there.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited May 2007
    Thx, ya'll.

in this proud land we grew up strong
    we were wanted all along
    I was taught to fight, taught to win
    I never thought I could fail

no fight left or so it seems
    I am a man whose dreams have all deserted
    I've changed my face, I've changed my name
    but no one wants you when you lose