Speaker Wire

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, it's about time for me to finally reinstall my system. That means re-running my power wire, re-running my ground wire, re-running my RCA cables, and re-running all my speaker cables. Oh, and re-installing the HU. That one, at least, shouldn't be too hard.

At any rate, I need to buy new speaker cables. My old ones are TINY and are just BARELY long enough. What would you recommend, on the relatively cheap side, for speaker wire for running 75 watts to each driver in a component set?

I talked to the guy at one installation shop and he said he had 18awg in stock for $0.50/foot, and he said that should be plenty fine. He also said that next week he should have some 16awg in for slightly more if I preferred. He also said that 12awg was overkill and 14awg is hard to find and so much more expensive.

What're your thoughts? What awg? What brand? From where/whom? Think I should just go for 40 feet of this guy's 18awg wire?

Thanks!
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2007
    Do not buy speaker wire by the foot at a shop, its a waste of money. Go to wal-mart/radio shack and get a spool of 18 or 16awg and use that. Speaker wire is speaker wire.

I'm not sure if you still cant order online, but theres always www.knukonceptz.com

Thats what all the wiring in my g/f's car will be when I get around to it.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    its 5 amps... you can get away with 18 awg for your purpose, however should you ever upgrade to say 150 watts per channel, it won't cut it.

I suggest 16 awg for 'highs' -- and 12 awg for subs, since you can shove about 25 amps through that... which puts you around 1200 watts into a 2 ohm sub before you'd have to upgrade the wire size.

Basic black Stinger 16 awg is 26 cents per foot... snag 50 feet, that should be about right to do a whole car... that'll run you 13 bucks.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISSW16BLK5

Stinger basic black 12 awg is 55 cents / foot... grab 10 feet, that'll be MORE than enough...
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISSW12BLK5

total = 19 bucks for all of it.

As far as any wire being wire... yes and no. You want a high strand count to avoid the negative effects of skin effect. That being said, 30 strands for a 16 awg line is probably plenty -- and even radio shack basic 16 awg will provide that.

But the jacket won't hold up in a car. I've had radio shack basic UL approved brown in wall speaker cable jacket get brittle and fall off the conductor. Last time I'll use that **** outdoors. If you don't go with a cable that is labeled as 'car audio' (from a brand like stinger or streetwires or whoever) then look for a jacket that states THHW -- it's a commonly used in-home wiring classification that basically means 1) stranded, 2) UL approved, 3) minimum 600 V isolation jacket, and 4) fire retardant jacket, and 5) chemical tested jacket.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    Go to Walmart and in their "car audio" department, they have 50' rolls of 14 gauge speaker wire for $12. Cant beat that.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2007
    that's crazy cheap -- wally world is so nice for stuff like that -- if they didn't hate unions they'd prolly get more 'fans'
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for all the info, folks. Really appreciate. You core car audio nuts are really great. I post a question and *bam* I have three knowledgeable enthusiasts' opinions.

Much appreciated.

I would like something from knukonceptz, but I'm trying to get away from 'having to have the best' of stuff, don't want to buy online, and don't want to have to wait for it.

So I'll probably end up going to wally world for some wire.

Thanks again!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    Radio Shack also has some 14 gauge for $20 / 50'.

Its probably a little better build quality and its flat wire which I kinda liked because its easier to snake thru tight spots.

I didnt use it this time cause I was already spending $300 in wood, Dynamat and other installation items and needed to cut some costs. Plus not all Radio Shacks have it or they only have 1 roll and it was a pain to find.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, now I'm confused as to what to get. I don't want to spend too much, as it's really not that important. However, at the same time, I don't want to experience PBD's troubles.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • theskuh
    theskuh Posts: 1
    edited May 2007
    Go to Walmart and in their "car audio" department, they have 50' rolls of 14 gauge speaker wire for $12. Cant beat that.

Oh yes I can! :D:D

speaker wire

love me some monoprice. But with shipping it is a wash. They have good deals on cables.