crossover. question

JimBRICK
JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
So I'm setting up my nad again after I moved my system around a bit.
I get to the part where it asks for the crossover frequency. I set it so 80 cause thats what I've been told is the usual. What should I have it set at and can you explain why.

I'm using a
NAD T743
with monitor 50 fronts, cs1 center, monitor 30 rears and psw 10
2 CHANNEL
Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
Under construction
Post edited by JimBRICK on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    I would play with the sub crossover to what you think sound better to you. Some like it crossed over at 120hz because their speakers aren't as good as the sub at that cross over range. Good luck and have fun. 80 is THX.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited May 2007
    well the monitor 50's have ok bass I guess but I think the sub would be better. SO setting the crossover to 120 or just higher than 80 will cause the sub to take over more of the work?

I cant wait for my new speakers to arrive so I dont have to play around with these monitor series speaks
    2 CHANNEL
    Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
    Under construction
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited May 2007
    If you want the simple answer just set the crossover to a point both the speakers and sub can play, ex 80hz and forget about it. If you want more complicated answer there are many factors to consider when setting the crossover.

Power output of receiver, remember lowering one octave requires 16x the power

-3db point of speakers, generally I have my crossover at least 10hz over this point, so the speakers are not trying to recreate what they are not capable of.

Frequency response of speakers, if the speakers drop like a rock after the -3db point I would take this into consideration, and set the crossover a little higher then normal

Room modes, if the sub has a peak at 120hz and the speakers don't, you don't want the sub playing 120hz

Speed of the sub, if you have a 18in driver that is sluggish you wouldn't want to crossover the speakers at 120hz.

Lots of things to consider when setting the crossover, I am sure there are plenty of factors I forgot.

Jared
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Jared great advice. Sample at 80 at 100 at 120. try with music and with HT.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.