College Grants

MrNightly
MrNightly Posts: 3,370
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anybody know the best place to look for college grants? This would be for myself, and I'm just a 3.0 student. (Early college days weren't spent studying that's for sure ;))

I am a sole provider for a family of four... lower income bracket probably, and looking to finish my degree... have already been accepted to a local univeristy here in town for Fall 2007.

I found a few links online, but don't really know much about grants. I hear that you can get just about anything, if you know where to look...

Anyone have experience with any of these? Not like Genius grants for 4.0 students, but Grants for the working full time father of two kinda thing... Trying to pull out all the stops ha.

Let me know.

Thanks
Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
Stuff...

RTi12's - front
CSi5 - center
FXi3's - surrounds
RTi4's - surrounds
SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
Denon 3805
Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

Post edited by MrNightly on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    I got grants through college with no problem, below 3.0 gpa. Go to the admissions office and ask what is available, they should be able to set you up with a bunch of forms to fill out.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    I don't know if you are a veteran or not, but there is all kinds of grants floating out there right now.....If you are, call the VA and they can set you up with some people in your area..
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited May 2007
    Go to your university and talk to the guidance counselors. I have plenty of friends who did this and got lots of small scholarships and grants for various things.

I have a $8000/yr scholarship that only requires that I keep a 3.0 average each year. If you don't think a 3.0 is possible with everything else going on in your life there maybe ones for lower GPAs, but your school would know better.

Jared
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    I would think that since you are a sole provider of a family of four, you should be able to get financial assistance..grants or not..
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • apc
    apc Posts: 779
    edited May 2007
    Also check on scholarships. They are not always based on "scholarship", but sometimes memorials. I got one my senior year that was created in memory of a girl who was killed and her family sponsored it. It was free money and no payback was required. There's lots of aid available and others are right above - ask your admission office.
    Husband, Father, Son, Brother, Friend.
  • MrNightly
    edited May 2007
    krabby5 wrote: »
    I would think that since you are a sole provider of a family of four, you should be able to get financial assistance..grants or not..

Ya I'm applying for that too... but I figured it'd only cover about 50% of the tuition. Maybe less...

I will speak with my college admissions and see what they have to offer... found some guy on line that wants 24 bucks for his "Book" that guarantee’s you will find free money.. whatever. :D

I don't anticipate having any trouble getting a 3.0 these days... so we'll see. Good ideas.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    There should be a person at the university who does little more than find grants for people. Thats the person you want to talk to.

What degree are you finishing up?
  • MrNightly
    edited May 2007
    Just finishing my Bachelors than want to get my Master's. Want to complete it in either Education or Theology. Probably end up in Business though :D Oh well. Will cross that bridge when the time comes!
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805