Just got some DQ-10's!!!

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Thanks to one very fine forum member I now have a pair of DQ-10's to play with. Man, what a great bunch of people we have around here!

Other than needing the foam replaced on the bass drivers everything seems fine. The crossover is completely stock. I will need to cover the grilles with cloth and make some wood side panels to go on them.

Anything I should know, do, check out etc? I want to keep them as stock as possible until I get a good handle on their characteristics but may be open to some cap upgrades or similar. For now I'll re-foam and be happy as time is very limited.

madmax
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
Post edited by madmax on

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Very nice speakers, I have enjoyed mine a lot. I just got a pair of SDA 1C's and I think it is time to find the DQ's a new home though.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I actually listened to Sami's over the weekend and really liked the soundstage, that's what struck me right off the bat, so I would say placement on these may be critical.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    Options
    VERY cool....

There is a mylar cap upgrade that is very popular with the DQ-10..

Those are GREAT speakers, a true classic.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I've heard they are power hungry yet don't accept a lot of power without blowing fuses. That tells me they are fairly inefficient but can't handle high power. Its all ok though as I will be using them mostly for acoustic and old blues music, assuming they will sound good for that. I heard a pair at Doro's and was very impressed with them playing lighter stuff. Soundstage and midrange seemed to be their thing as I remember.
    madmax

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited May 2007
    Options
    madmax wrote: »
    Thanks to one very fine forum member I now have a pair of DQ-10's to play with. Man, what a great bunch of people we have around here!

Other than needing the foam replaced on the bass drivers everything seems fine. The crossover is completely stock. I will need to cover the grilles with cloth and make some wood side panels to go on them.

Anything I should know, do, check out etc? I want to keep them as stock as possible until I get a good handle on their characteristics but may be open to some cap upgrades or similar. For now I'll re-foam and be happy as time is very limited.

madmax

I have a buddy who mirror imaged his as well as rebuilt the x-overs and drivers, it is very much worth the effort. I was very impressed with them, so much so I may pick up a pair someday. PM me at some point if you want I might be able to put you in contact with him. He did all the work himself, I believe Ragnar (sp) is the source for drivers and/or the foam kits.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You can borrow my wood rails for templates if you want. I would do the basic upgrade for the x-over depending on what color they caps are...I think its yellow good, white bad or something like that. Russ stated that the mirror image modification is a positive but mine are stock array. Mine have been run on the BBQ with no fuse issues. Nix the supertweeter, piezo stinks.

Don't go crazy with them and do some ridiculous overhaul. I've heard a maxed out pair that was absolutely horrendous with zero magic. It completely altered everything that is fun about the speaker. Keep it simple and enjoy.

I also have a buttload of literature from TroyD that I can photcopy. Join the Dalhquist DQ10 user forum on Yahoo.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Yellow good....white bad.

BDT
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I'm yellow...

Good call on "over modding" Mark. This is the same thing I've read from other owners too and besides, I don't really have the time or money right now to do much to them. I'm thinking a cap here and there or just go with them stock. Its the original magic I'm after anyway.
    madmax

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2007
    Options
    It's one of the most coolest speakers I've ever listened to. A true, historical classic.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for the offer on borrowing a side rail but It came with 2, missing 2, so I do have an example. Some of the documentation would be cool to have a copy of.
    madmax

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited May 2007
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    It's one of the most coolest speakers I've ever listened to. A true, historical classic.

Doro, are those your stands that I have? Russ gave them to me on my last visit when I bought the AE preamp.
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I will look for the 2 missing rails tonight. I am sure I have them somewhere.
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Cool if you find the rails! I got the re-foaming kit in the mail today and finished the rebuild. Did them during the day here at work so now I'm stuck here working all evening... They came out very nice as far as I can tell. The glue is pretty well set up now. I'm powereing them lightly to make sure the foam seats evenly. Man, I know why these DQ's have killer midrange now. The woofer is absolutly wonderful sounding! I was just playing a song with a b3 organ and when the organ came up the sound was, well, beautiful! I'll get them back in the cabs in the morning and give them a workout.
    madmax

Edit: BTW, the glue gets you high...

• TroyD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    The magic of the DQ-10, according to many, is the 4" Philips midrange. The 10" driver is an Advent driver.

BDT
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I heard the 4" when I tested them the other day, it IS quite nice. I've played with a lot of raw drivers and there are very few that sound very good by themselves, unboxed, at least nothing you would notice. This "advent" sounds special. The raw drivers out of the SDA's have a memorable sound also.

I'm psyched! Or maybe still just a little high. I should go into the speaker gluing business... :D
    madmax

• warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I tore up the house and found the 2 wood rails. Still can't find the hardware. PM me with details of when you can pick up. Maybe we can meet somewhere. Thanks, Jeff
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Hold onto them for me. It will be a few weeks.
    madmax

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Very cool. I've got a pair and love them. I've been wanting to reconnect mine for some time. Gonna try a hybrid pre and a PCR-800 with them. Good luck with them and I'm sure you'll be more than happy.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Chuck high on glue........this I'd love to see.

Congrats on the special speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited May 2007
    Options
    madmax wrote: »

madmax
    Hey max i had no idea that the 10" woofers were advents. I put a pair of 10" advent woofers on ebay minutes ago. If these are the same models and you want a pair for spares let me know and I will yank the ebay listing. I would rather a pokie get them if they need them. :) You can have them for the price of a refoam kit. $20.00. I never even thought of listing them here in the FM because this is a polk forum.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I love DQ-10s, but I always have to turn off the lights before I get them nekkid. Ugliest **** speaker ever made with those big grills off, looking like some science project gone wrong...........:eek:
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I put the refoamed drivers in the cabs today. They are breaking in right now on the Accurian RS amp. They have a VERY nice sound! I forgot how much bass drivers greater than 6 1/2" have. The piezo super tweets are not playing at all. The tweets themselves are fine but they are getting no signal for some reason. I'm guessing maybe the pots but it seems odd that neither tweet makes a sound, even when I turn the knob.
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Are you sure they aren't playing, or maybe you just aren't hearing them. :eek:
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

I can cup my ear over them to keep out other sounds and yes I'm pretty sure I could hear them if they were playing. I guess there is a possibility if they were crossed over high enough and had a very low output I could be deceived.
    madmax

• madmax
    edited May 2007
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »

You dumbshit, you've had me paranoid since I read this... :D
    madmax

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    LOL now that's funny
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.