Pomona, CA

aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,489
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Anybody know anything about this city? The good, the bad? I've been offered a very nice job and relocation pkge - unfortunately I don't really know anything about the place. How about beaches? What's the closest one?

I've tried the wikipedia site - not much help.
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
Post edited by aaharvel on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2007
    Andrew, it's a ok city, it has some rough area to the south, but the north side is very nice. Neighboring cities would be Claremont (home of the Claremont colleges - Peter F. Ducker Management school), San Dimas, La Verne (to the West); Upland, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga (to the East).

Ontario International Airport is about 10 miles west.

Beaches would be about 60 miles to the South (Newport Beach et.al.).

Let me know if you want to know the specifics.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited May 2007
    I lived in Pomona most of my life. I moved 10 years ago. The high rent district may still be nice, but the rest. To be honest, the reason I moved to Ohio (could have been anywhere else for that matter) was for my children. I know what type of place it is/was. And the schools were not any better. This is just my opinion. There was no way my kids were going to grow up in that city. I am so happy I moved. We were the only english speaking family left in our neighborhood. And please don't get me started on illegal immigrants. You may want to work in Pomona but you better be living in Padua Hills.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2007
    aaharvel wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about this city? The good, the bad? I've been offered a very nice job and relocation pkge - unfortunately I don't really know anything about the place. How about beaches? What's the closest one?

I've tried the wikipedia site - not much help.

go spend a three day weekend there.. and experience it for yourself. I say three days.. because that way on a Friday or Monday you could see if there are traffic problems.. plus you'd see for yourself what there is to do there. and you'd be able to speak to local people in person. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,489
    edited May 2007
    del44 wrote: »
    I lived in Pomona most of my life. I moved 10 years ago. The high rent district may still be nice, but the rest. To be honest, the reason I moved to Ohio (could have been anywhere else for that matter) was for my children. I know what type of place it is/was. And the schools were not any better. This is just my opinion. There was no way my kids were going to grow up in that city. I am so happy I moved. We were the only english speaking family left in our neighborhood. And please don't get me started on illegal immigrants. You may want to work in Pomona but you better be living in Padua Hills.

nope, that's my take on it as well after some extensive. Thanks Del. But what about Diamond Bar? Any opinions on that? That's probably the only area in Pomona I would consider.

Danger- they're flying me out in two weeks to "experience" the city. We'll see, thanks.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2007
    Plenty of gang activity, bloods, crypts, and all the spin offs, plenty of dirty white boys, supremists groups but then this is not usual anymore, no matter where you go, it sits between interstate 10 and what was once called the pomona freeway (60) I think its called something else now. Upland and Cucamounga used to be nice, I have been gone a very long time, so what I say is dated.

Of course you do not have to live in Pomona, I lived 35 miles east of there for years, I left because of a job transfer, the weather is great. I used to commute 87 miles one way to Long Beach/Terminal Island worked at the federal lock-up, my commute was between 1 1/2 to 3 hours on a bad day.

Its cali, its crazy, its wonderful, its awlful, all at the same time, I would do it. Opportunity for you step up, when will the next one come?

RT1
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    All I can add is that if you've never experienced a 10-lane freeway (5 lanes on each side) turn into a parking lot, this will be your opportunity. That is what the freeways are pretty much like every day during rush hour. Ontario airport is a plus though, easy in and out.