Selling Used CDs

izafar
izafar Posts: 819
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
troubling scenario described in the following article:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070507-record-shops-used-cds-ihre-papieren-bitte.html

We will be in a lot of trouble if they start putting restrictions on selling used Vinyl :mad:
-izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
Post edited by izafar on

Comments

• krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited May 2007
    LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You gotta be kidding me..

How bout all the NEW sales that are generated from someone who buys a used cd of a band that they normally wouldn't buy new? They like the band and from that point on, they buy other cds from that band new. Or they go back and purchase that bands older cds new..

Or how about people who use the proceeds from the sale to buy new music?

This happens all the time with videogames..

That industry is so out of touch with the real world:(
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited May 2007
    This reminds me of the Southpark episode where all those different artists couldn't afford to buy different "rich people" things because of downloading music, etc. It just figures that the music industry gets the government involved in this. You could almost compare it to buying a new car...and paying taxes on it; then you sell it/trade it and the car lot or next buyer charges taxes on it again. It's just about the almighty dollar at work at it's finest.

So what about thrift stores that get CD's for FREE and sell them for a buck or 2? I buy a quite a few of them from TS's and may buy one new CD every few months...if it's a new release I want. Other than that, I'm out for saving the money!
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited May 2007
    record companies are just slowly shooting themselves in the foot. I'll say it again, they wonder why cd sales are going down, because there is less avenues to try new music.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    The usual blah, blah, blah, blah, we are loosing money, loosing profits, blah, blah blah. I get the fact that the music is owned by the artist afterall it is the artist's creation but all this crap is sickening.

Here is a scenario. . . tell if I am in the wrong according to the record companies.

I've got every version of Jazz at the Pawnshop some in doubles. Back in 1997 the condo I owned was burglarized. One double CD set from the early 80s of JATP was stolen. I purchased another. Just recently one of my friends wanted to trade me some cables for a copy of JATP. I am not one for burning copies of my music and giving it away, however given the circumstances I felt no remorse burning a copy of JATP and trading it for good cables in that I paid for it twice.

Should I have to pay a fine for piracy or illegal duplication and sale???
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    It's yours to do what you want with. You didn't sell the copy, so I don't think it's an issue. If you were making a profit from that copy that would be different.

This is simply going to push even more people into downloading whatever songs they want for free.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    The usual blah, blah, blah, blah, we are loosing money, loosing profits, blah, blah blah. I get the fact that the music is owned by the artist afterall it is the artist's creation but all this crap is sickening.

The truth is the artists don't own the music....99% of the artists don't have rights to their own work. Ray Charles was one of the first artists to actually own his masters.....The reason piracy is such a huge issue is because THE RECORD COMPANIES are losing money on it, then passing the losses to the artists in their contracts.....Causing them to be pissed off.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    So the record companies are **** the artists & **** us with their greed? F them!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2007
    Lets take me for example. I used Napster back in the day probably more than the average college student. Because of all this music I could get my ears on, I bought my first pair of decent speakers (Polk R40s). My love of music grew. Now I have to limit myself on how many new CDs I purchase. I can't keep up with my music purchases. I probably have about 7 CDs still in the cellophane.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    I probably have about 7 CDs still in the cellophane.

You are not alone. I have atleast that many CDs and half a dozen LPs still unopened and more coming everyday!!!
  • G-2
    G-2 Posts: 533
    edited May 2007
    Yes, yes, lets put the Gov't in charge of it, they're superb at handling things, maybe Brownie is around and he can oversee the entire thing. F^$*ing idiots...

Sorry this kind of stuff really gets our goat!
    Home Theater
    Chane
    A3rx-c's, A2rc-c, A1rx-c's|Miller & Kreisel V-125's|Sony XBR65X810C 65" 4K LED TV|
    Earthquake Cinenova Grande-5|Pioneer Elite - VSX-84TXSi-AVR|TRIPPLITE LCR2400|
    Ultrasonic Amp Stand|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|

2 - Channel
    Polk
    RTA 12c's w/RDO194 TWEETS, clarity ESA caps mills resistors (full mod)|Turntable|
    Anthem MCA 2|Acurus Act 3 Pre Pro|Parasound P/Ph 100|Pioneer Elite N-30|Adcom GDA600|
    Premier Rack|Blue Jeans,Audioquest,Monster Cables|