power acoustiks

spackelman
spackelman Posts: 31
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Is anyone familar with the quality "Power Acoustiks" HU's.

I' m interested in the in-dash DVD unit for my 2002 silverado.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by spackelman on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2007
    I would go with the Jensen flip out before i did power acoustic.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • spackelman
    spackelman Posts: 31
    edited May 2007
    That bad, huh..
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    Pretty much.

Amplifiers are pretty simple in their design and are easier to make well and Power Acoustic does make decent entry level amps.

Source units however are a whole lot more complicated and require better quality control to make them well.

I wouldnt chince on a head unit. Id stick with as expensive an Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion or Eclipse that you can afford. You wont regret it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2007
    spackelman wrote: »
    That bad, huh..

honesty, if youre not going to run amps, or even if you are but youre not too concerned with pure sound quality, the Jensens arent bad units. Weve had more Pioneer screens come back with problems than weve had Jensens, and we sell more of the Jensens.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    OMG did you just say to go with a Jensen? Isn't that like the quality as a power acoustic. I've never owed a power acoustic anything, but there is no way I would recommend Jensen, Amps for the casual listener...um...ok, Head unit well...um...RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. go pick up a cheap pioneer and be happy.(I don't like sony hu's either)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    The thing with Jensen is that theyve been around for a loooooooooong time and have been making source units and speakers for longer than most of us have been alive.

Theyre not fancy but theyre not horrible entry level pieces.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited May 2007
    Jensen... about them... I'd buy them... but I wouldnt want anybody to see the logo... if I ever bought one I'd cover the Jensen logo with paint or a Pioneer logo or something... :-)