Any lawyers or law students?

cstpeter
cstpeter Posts: 387
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Just curious to hear from ya. I'm a 1L in the middle of finals and sick of studying. Somebody tell me this **** is worth it.
Von Schweikert VR4-jr
Valve Audio Predator
Denon DVD-2900
PS Audio Digital Link III w/Cullen Level IV Mods
Pro-Ject Xpression w/Blue Point No. 2
Graham Slee Special Edition 2
PS Audio UPC-200
Post edited by cstpeter on

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited May 2007
    It's worth it!!!!!!!!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    I'm just curious guys do they have desensitizing courses so you won't get twisted up with all the lawyer jokes???:D :p
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited May 2007
    I'm in Law School. My professor drives a ferrari and owns B&W 801s that he bought our of a airplane catalog in first class. He doesn't even have them hooked up. He just thinks they look pretty, It's worth it. One day you'll have so much money, you won't know what to do with it all.
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    "Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't f**king have any. "
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    "They say money can't buy happiness? Look at the **** smile on my face. Ear to ear, baby. " - Jim Young, Boiler Room.
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    One day after you find happniess and all that junk . . . "You Want details? Fine. I drive a Ferrari, 355 Cabriolet, What's up? I have a ridiculous house in the South Fork. I have every toy you could possibly imagine. And best of all kids, I am liquid. "
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited May 2007
    Just out of curiosity, when are you going to have time to spend all of your wonderful money when you're working 16 hours a day?

For the most part, to be a lawyer and make boatloads of money, you either have to a) work 80-100 hours a week, or b) be completely without a soul (or, more often than not, both).

Law school is for the birds.

And as Bob Dylan once so eloquently said, "all the money you made won't ever by back your soul."
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    Its too bad lawyers don't really appreciate the finer things in life. Yes, they accumulate the finer things in life. But, for the most part, I think they miss the big picture.
  • mutelight
    mutelight Posts: 1,054
    edited May 2007
    SolidSqual you crack me up buddy.
    // Panasonic AE8000 // Pioneer SC-57 // Polk Audio RTi A9 // Polk Audio CSiA6 //
    // Polk Audio FXi A6 // SVS PB12-NSD Subwoofer // Logitech Harmony Ultimate // Pro-Ject Debut III //
    // Oppo BDP-103 // Microsoft Xbox One Day One Edition // Sony Playstation 4 1TB SSHD // Nintendo Wii U //
    Photo Gallery
    Movie and Game Collection
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    I have a few friends that went to Law School and it is absolutely true. Lots of cash to purchase the things that other people around you can enjoy. If it makes you happy then just do it. I guess the real question is if you leave Law School what else do you want to do when you grow up. For me, and probably a lot of others, we are still waiting to figure that out or grow up. One or the other. As long as you are enjoying what you do, hell that is the most important. Just think before you leap. Good Luck.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    cstpeter wrote: »
    Just curious to hear from ya. I'm a 1L in the middle of finals and sick of studying. Somebody tell me this **** is worth it.

well..I taught law school for 6 yrs and have been a lawyer for 23....I'm not sure who is telling these people that all lawyers get filthy rich, but it certainly isn't true....many do, many more don't....if I had it do do over, I'd be an audio salesman.....oh wait, I was once....if you're gonna be a lawyer, make sure you have a hobby....
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited May 2007
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, when are you going to have time to spend all of your wonderful money when you're working 16 hours a day?

For the most part, to be a lawyer and make boatloads of money, you either have to a) work 80-100 hours a week, or b) be completely without a soul (or, more often than not, both).

This can be said about any job out there, not just being a lawyer.

I am an accountant, I could work 60-80hrs a week and be on the fast track to being a partner making 500k a year. It would take me a shorter time if I prove myself and get my CPA and all that done early. Or I could be sheisty and go steal from the company I work for, rip them off for a while then move on to another and rip them off aka not having a soul.

I was in sales for a few years, the most successful guys I saw worked 60+ hours a week. You could work long hours in sales and make lots of money (some were 100k) or you could be shady and steal from other people and the company aka no soul.

And so on and so forth, but just remember money can't buy you happinesses. I know plenty of people with tons of money and it doesn't make them happy, just makes things a little easier.

Jared
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    Very true Jared. I am in sales (Telecommunications) and the hours are long. Travel can be on the weekends, but limited. Yes the rewards are high but it's all about obtaining that balance of QOL (Quality Of Life) thing that is so important.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited May 2007
    No...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2007
    steveinaz wrote: »
    No...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

You're hired!
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    I'm just playing to the stereotypes people. Truth be told my aspirations are to work for the DOD after law school to make our country safer.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    I would say that if your not enjoying your courses right now and only doing it for the prospect of money then it is definately NOT worth it. If you don't enjoy what you do, you won't do well and therefore won't be rewarded either emotionally or fiscally.

If you have had some classes where you said "Hell yeah, I could do this for the rest of my life" than I'd say you've made a great career choice for yourself.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited May 2007
    What about an electronic engineer? We do pretty damn good. Im sure lawyers really make some good cake(money ) though.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Gaara wrote: »
    This can be said about any job out there, not just being a lawyer.

I am an accountant, I could work 60-80hrs a week and be on the fast track to being a partner making 500k a year. It would take me a shorter time if I prove myself and get my CPA and all that done early. Or I could be sheisty and go steal from the company I work for, rip them off for a while then move on to another and rip them off aka not having a soul.

I was in sales for a few years, the most successful guys I saw worked 60+ hours a week. You could work long hours in sales and make lots of money (some were 100k) or you could be shady and steal from other people and the company aka no soul.

And so on and so forth, but just remember money can't buy you happinesses. I know plenty of people with tons of money and it doesn't make them happy, just makes things a little easier.

Jared

Listen, so far as I can tell, there are TWO reasons people become lawyers. 1) to be public defenders and do things for the greater good, or 2) to make shitloads of money. So considering the original poster asked "if it was worth it", I took a gamble and assumed he was in it for the money.

Beyond that, relating law to other professions is.... obtuse. Sure, you're right, in any profession, if you work your tail off you have the potential to be successful. But there are not many professions like law, where nearly EVERY SINGLE LAWYER I've ever spoken to or heard of says that they work ridiculous hours. I have SEVERAL friends in law school. Every single one of them has a network of lawyers and law students around them. And everyone involved admits that they have NO free time. It's not the kind of job where you can either commit lots of time and be successful or commit SOME time and be moderately successful. It's all or nothing, unless you're an EXTREMELY rare case. So, your little anecdotes about SALES don't really apply, I'm sorry.
  • bobman1235
    edited May 2007
    Sherardp wrote: »
    What about an electronic engineer? We do pretty damn good. Im sure lawyers really make some good cake(money ) though.

I'm an EE. I make decent money. My friend whose in law school is starting her internship this summer. During the INTERNSHIP, she's making three times what I make. Once she's full time, she'll be making almost 200k. Right out of school. It's a whole different world.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    I would say that if your not enjoying your courses right now and only doing it for the prospect of money then it is definately NOT worth it. If you don't enjoy what you do, you won't do well and therefore won't be rewarded either emotionally or fiscally.

If you have had some classes where you said "Hell yeah, I could do this for the rest of my life" than I'd say you've made a great career choice for yourself.

What he said.

I'm studying to be an electrical engineer and while school is quite demanding, I enjoy what I do.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited May 2007
    I'd add one other thing: If you get a "useful" undergrad degree and an MBA it is awfully hard not to make at least $100K/yr by 30. How much do you really need? To me, I would rather make $100-$120K and work 35-40hrs and spend time with my wife and enjoy my hobbies. That's again why I'll get a touch more experience and then take a pay cut to be a prof at a school.

I could very easily bust my **** and work 80+hrs a week and be pushing $500K or more but I don't really care. I like what I'm doing and make a liveable wage and don't need a ferrari and a $50K stereo to make me happy.

Look what's really important to you and how much is "enough" to be happy and how much you enjoy everything else in life. Remember, you work to live, not live to work.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2007
    rskarvan wrote: »
    Its too bad lawyers don't really appreciate the finer things in life. Yes, they accumulate the finer things in life. But, for the most part, I think they miss the big picture.

That's a pretty rash generalization, don't you think? :rolleyes:

It's like anything else, you have to decide what's important to you.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    TroyD wrote: »
    That's a pretty rash generalization, don't you think? :rolleyes:

It's like anything else, you have to decide what's important to you.

BDT

Americans supporting american jobs by buying american products is important to me. Great speakers are made in Kentucky. Great amps are made in Connecticut. Great cars & trucks are made in Detroit.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007
    Comes down to what kind of person you want to be.What will make you happy now and tommarrow.Been down the road of makeing 100 g's and working 80-100 hours a week.Let me tell you,it gets old...fast.Tons of cash to buy whatever you want,no time to enjoy it.You only go around once in this life boys...enjoy it.Are you working to live or living to work? High paying
    jobs come with a price tag...your life.Make your money,work the hours,invest wisely,get out at a decent age and enjoy life.Nothing worse than working your whole life to retirement and those close to you don't really know who you are.

....and yes...I am talking from experience.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2007
    I'm studying to be homeless.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    LOL good one
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2007
    And here are words to live by!!! Great post Tony!

tonyb wrote: »
    Comes down to what kind of person you want to be.What will make you happy now and tommarrow.Been down the road of makeing 100 g's and working 80-100 hours a week.Let me tell you,it gets old...fast.Tons of cash to buy whatever you want,no time to enjoy it.You only go around once in this life boys...enjoy it.Are you working to live or living to work? High paying
    jobs come with a price tag...your life.Make your money,work the hours,invest wisely,get out at a decent age and enjoy life.Nothing worse than working your whole life to retirement and those close to you don't really know who you are.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007

My sentiments, exactly!!!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited May 2007

Well said.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!