Bob Dylan Live

Options
Paul Connor
Paul Connor Posts: 231
edited September 2002 in Music & Movies
Last night I saw Bob Dylan live for the first time, though I have been a fan for nearly thirty years. My expectation for the concert was to be underwhelmed, but left knowing what I have always known about the man. He is never what you expect.

It was a perfect Colorado evening. Outdoors in the local rodeo arena, beautiful red evening sky and a light cool breeze from the west. The band came onto the stage at dusk and played nearly three hours without a break.

The show was billed as Bob Dylan and his Band. It was Dylan himself who drew the crowd, but the group of musicians he had playing with him would have been outstanding had he stayed in the bus for the evening. The drummer, bassist and two guitarists he had with him worked their asses off the entire show. About every three songs they would switch from acoustic to electric instruments mixing old with new, giving the old Dylan standards an entirely new and fresh sound.

Dylans voice is certainly not what you would consider great, and if anything it seems to become more coarse as the years pass. I guess you would call it an aquired taste. However, his vocals seemed to compliment the music almost as if it were one of the instruments. He is a true performer in every sense of the word. No philosophy, no words of wisdom or insight, just great music. A great rock and roll show.

I guess I secretly wanted him to sit alone in the spotlight with a guitar and harmonica, singing the old standards, but this was no nostalgia act. This show is what Dylan has always been about. Just when you think you are going to hear another version of what he did last time, he hits you between the eyes with something new.

Of course there was a full house of old, gray, bald, ponytailed, hawiian shirt wearin, **** crack showin, tye dye shirt, beer belly, Volvo drivin, wannabe hip actin, saggy ole lady draggin, red neck actin, ex loadie, shaved head, goatee wearin, folks in attendance. Didn't detract from the show though. I only came to hear Tangle Up In Blue--anyhoo.

See this show if you get a chance. Even non-believers will not be dissapointed.
Post edited by Paul Connor on

Comments