I hate this flappin' hobby . . . !

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited May 2007 in The Clubhouse
Some of you may know I recently purchased a Metis Tube Preamp. The sound has become amazing once I got everything tweaked to my liking. Unfortunately . . . now I feel like I need to simplify. My initial setup was my Yamaha HTR5890, Rti8, Rti6, Csi5 and SVS PB10NSD and Buttkicker LFE for HT, which also doubled for Music. Now I have Lsi15s, NAD C272, and my Rogue Audio preamp. I'm feeling overwhelmed. All this stuff is in one room. How do you guys deal with collecting too much stuff? Part of me wants to sell my HT system because the sound is not where my 2 channel system is. On the other hand, my HT still kicks **** during movies and games. I'm in an audio funk. help . . .
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2007
    use the LSI's for both 2 channel and HT; does your preamp have a HT pass??

And get an LSiC ;)

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    No passthrough, but I have a Manley component switcher which allows me to switch between the preamp and the receiver. I actually am running a 7.1 setup with the LSis as the mains and the Rti8s as side surrounds.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Just go with the LSI setup. Start with selling all your RTI gear and receiver. Use the 2-channel setup for everything, but then start adding a Center channel speaker, pre/pro, and amp. . . and expand that way.

It's not easy to have two different objectives in one room. HT and 2-channel really have differing needs benefits so it's going to be tough to get the best of both world in one setup.

I am keeping my basic, low-fidelity HT. Not going to upgrade any of it. Hell, may even sell my TFM-6CBs one day, but I like knowing at least my fronts have tons of power in reserve and it will help my AVR live a happy and stress free life. HT technology (surround modes, connectivity, etc.) always change, and you're having to change 5-7 channels every time you want to upgrade.

But, for 2-channel, I have much bigger aspirations. And, when only having to upgrade 2-channels in a technology harbored arena, you have a better chance of putting together and upgrading a killer system.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    AndyGwis,

These are my sentiments exactly, but the resale value is so little that I"m not sure I can commit. I'm going to do some HT testing this weekend I think to see if I can live without surround for movies and games. I just got a Paradigm X-30 Crossover. I plan to use it to hook up my PB10 NSD and my Buttkicker to my 2-channel system. That way atleastI will have a good bottom end for HT. I guess it could be called a Stereo HT Hybrid. If I find more enjoyment, the RTi system will be out the door.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    How do you guys deal with collecting too much stuff? .

I take all my clothes off and dive into the pile of gear and roll around in it!:eek: :D I've asked my wife to join in but for some reason she called me a pervert. . .go figure!!!:D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    For my system I gave up surround sound and listen to movies through the 2 channel. It got to the point I couldn't weave the vacuum through the livingroom...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    My system hasn't become cluttered yet, I just feel the need to simplify. Part of me just wants two great speakers and my Sennheiser HD555, but then I look at my Rti8s. They look sad. They ask, "Why Dad? Remember the good times." An whenever they give me those big puppy dog eyes, I just break down and have to go sit next to them.
  • AndyGwis
    edited May 2007
    I have 3 separate rigs in an 800 sq foot apartment, so I'm definitely guilty of nonconsolidation.

But, I love listening to music in the kitchenette where my 2-channel rig resides, and I love a good movie in the main room in splendid 5.1 with deep sub bass, and I love snuggling up in bed to a good movie / **** with decent sound. Can't get all those things in one system very easily unless I had HT bypass on my 2-channel rig, used my Thiel's as mains, put a sofa bed in the livingroom, etc.

So, I will continue to have three systems and am fine with that. However, I do need to unload all of the gear that didn't quite make the cut for my rigs. If I can move that stuff out at the prices I'm asking, I'll be a-okay.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    Andy,

Do you have a significant other living with you? I'm jealous of you either way . . . my girlfriend only gives me one room in our apartment to have my fun. I had my Buttkicker bolted to the floor for a while. Needless to say she didn't like that.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited May 2007
    Have HTrookie built you a 2 channel room. LOL:D :eek: :D
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • AndyGwis
    edited May 2007
    I have a GF of 4 years that lives with me. But, I do pay for everything (rent, utilities, etc.) as she is still finishing up school, so I get to gear up the place to my liking (within reason). As long as I let her play her Friends and Sex in the City DVDs on my rigs non-stop, all is hell. . . I mean, all is well.
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    aagghgagahgahghahhahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzz mmmmm (like homer simpson) . . . dedicsted listening room . . . .agagaaagaaagagazzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    Man . . . Andy!!? How do you do it? Doesn't she yell at you to spend your money on something else? For example, HER!! Does she have a sister?
  • AndyGwis
    edited May 2007
    No sister. Man, this is a real awakening. I thought because I paid for everything, I could turn the apartment into a fortress of Audio Gear solitude without any problems. Maybe I've got it good. She still carries around her parents' credit cards and they don't mind paying for frivolous expenditures of hers.

I do get yelled at from time to time for spending too much on audio and not taking us on lavish vacations or buying stuff for her. . . but, I tell her audio gear is a hobby and an investement and it seems to work alright for me.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2007
    Sell your HT system and start over. Begin with a strong 2-channel system as the base and slowly build a 5.1 channel system. Add more speakers, if necessary. Buy one piece of equipment every two months, and after about one year, you'll have a completely new kick **** HT system.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • cstpeter
    cstpeter Posts: 387
    edited May 2007
    Solid, I hear ya. About a year ago I decided to sell the HT and go dedicated 2-channel. I still miss watching a good movie in surround, but then I put on an LP or a nice CD ... and am quickly reminded that I made the right choice.

Andy, funny posts man. I dig this line:
    AndyGwis wrote: »
    I love a good movie in the main room in splendid 5.1 with deep sub bass, and I love snuggling up in bed to a good movie / **** with decent sound.

LOL! If they make 5.1 surround ****, I'm going back to HT.
    Von Schweikert VR4-jr
    Valve Audio Predator
    Denon DVD-2900
    PS Audio Digital Link III w/Cullen Level IV Mods
    Pro-Ject Xpression w/Blue Point No. 2
    Graham Slee Special Edition 2
    PS Audio UPC-200
  • SolidSqual
    edited May 2007
    I'm not sure I ever want to go back to HT. My audio life began in 5.1. My first system was a Bose Lifestyle 23 that my dad bought me for finishing grade school and getting into a good high school. Yes I am only 24, so stereo was on the outs for my generation. Essentially, I've worked backwards and discovered Stereo is the best way to listen to Music. It's funny, my Dad originally bought me the ridiculous Bose 901s, but decided they sounded **** as we could never get them setup right.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited May 2007
    I take all my clothes off and dive into the pile of gear and roll around in it!:eek: :D I've asked my wife to join in but for some reason she called me a pervert. . .go figure!!!:D

Joe you just gave me a nasty visual and threw up all over my keyboard. Thanks.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    edited May 2007

What?? No chocolate syrup?? No whipped cream???

Thats why she won't join you big guy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    tonyb wrote: »
    What?? No chocolate syrup?? No whipped cream???

Thats why she won't join you big guy.

Hey he's into his audio he doesn't need any thing else with it, just like a good steak doesn't need A1